Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple and PayPal were in talks that would potentially have seen PayPal becoming a "preferred payment process" for Apple Pay, reports Bank Innovation, but those talks ended abruptly after PayPal inked a deal with Samsung to allow users to make PayPal payments with the Galaxy S5's fingerprint sensor.

Apple was reportedly so annoyed with the partnership between the two companies that it ended talks with PayPal and even went so far as to exclude PayPal from Apple Pay all together, not listing it as an acceptable payment platform in its developer documentation.

applepayinapps.jpg
But while these talks were going on, PayPal went ahead and partnered with Samsung on the Galaxy S5 fingerprint scanner, a move that was reportedly forced onto PayPal by eBay CEO John Donahoe. PayPal's now-former president David Marcus was purportedly categorically against the Samsung deal, knowing that it would jeopardize PayPal's relationship with Apple. Donahoe won the day, however.
Apple and PayPal appear to be in somewhat of a dispute following the introduction of Apple Pay and PayPal's exclusion, with the latter company recently launching an ad campaign that subtly attacks Apple and Apple Pay.

In the advertisement, PayPal alluded to the recent hacking of celebrity iCloud accounts and suggested PayPal was the safer platform for transferring money. Without a deal between the two companies, PayPal is facing significant competition from Apple Pay.

In addition to allowing users to make purchases in retail stores with their phones, Apple Pay also lets users buy items in support apps using a debit or credit card connected with an iTunes account. PayPal works in a very similar way, letting users attach a credit or debit card and then make purchases through the service, alleviating the need to enter credit card details.

Apple has plans to launch Apple Pay in the coming weeks, through an update to iOS 8.

Article Link: Apple, Paypal Talks Over Apple Pay Soured Due to Samsung Deal

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Far better to stick with Visa and MasterCard, no banks issue cards from PayPal. Plus, no one wants to pay double fees.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Might not want to exclude Paypal and Samsung devices altogether, otherwise Apple Pay will wilt and die eventually. Paypal is the king of payment processing, whether you like them or not.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
I cannot stand Paypal after they closed my account due to "fraudulent activity" which they refuse to disclose any details to me. The funny part, there were 0 fraudulent transaction on any of my CCs or bank account.

#ScrewPaypal #PayPalSucks.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
My original thought while watching the keynote when they demoed Apple Pay inside of apps was immediately "Paypal is in trouble".

Methinks they really stepped in it here. Apple will make them pay.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
As Paypal is now being spun out, Apple should buy them, barring any monopoly concerns.

All these "Apple should buy...[insert Pebble, PayPal, Blackberry]" comments don't make any sense if you understand basic business strategy and complementary capability analysis.

And what monopoly concerns? Is PayPal the only payment processing service? What about banks?

Your post is so misinformed it hurts the eyes.

Last edited:

RooooG

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
Good, PayPal is awful.

Like how they've colluded with eBay to hold onto your money for weeks or months (which I'm *sure* they aren't earning interest on), which I question the legality of.

Plus, fees. Ugh.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I have never used PayPal.

I might have signed into it years ago thinking I might use it but then never had any use for it. but think there was a try and hack into it but since i never entered any CC info or bank info, I didn't care as much. but i could never get back into it because of some glitch. i just let it die.

Whenever I see PayPal for payment only I look elsewhere.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
PayPal is fundamentally different than other payment processors. PayPal is more like bank account, where users keep a balance. I really don't like this aspect of PayPal.

I've been using the Square Cash app to exchange money with friends. It's way better, and our money is never in limbo like with PayPal.

Though, the Square solution isn't great either. Ideally, a digital payment system would not need a third-party intermediary for the exchange. No Visa, no MC, no AmEx, no PayPal, no Square, no Apple Pay. Like Cash! I don't need to have a bank present when giving my buddy a 20-dollar bill - this is how digital payment should work. Much of the IP developed by bitcoin allows this to happen, it just needs to be developed a bit more. Until then, all of this is nonsense.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
I don't see them as competitors, but rather complementary. Can I open a web shop and accept worldwide payments with apple pay? Nope.

I'm absolutely not convinced apple pay will be a success. Especially in europe, it doesn't make a chance.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Stupid paypal deal that let's millions of paypal users use it in tons of brick and mortar stores? Squandered for a useless Samsung deal. Seems about right

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.