Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Pays $40+ Million for Worldwide Rights to Upcoming Film 'Cherry'

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has paid in the high $40 millions for the rights to upcoming movie "Cherry," reports Deadline. Directed by Anthony and Joe Russo, who were responsible for "Avengers: Endgame," "Cherry" is a crime drama that's an adaptation of a novel by Nico Walker.

In "Cherry," actor Tom Holland (known for his role as Spider-Man) plays a Cleveland man named Walker who joins the army after being spurned by the love of his life. He becomes an Army medic in Iraq and is traumatized by the experience, suffering from PTSD.

To treat his PTSD, Walker is treated with Oxycontin, and that eventually leads to a heroin addiction. To pay for the drugs, Walker begins robbing banks.

The $40 million+ price tag for "Cherry" marks one of the biggest film deals of the year, and it provides Apple with an awards season contender. Apple's plan is to qualify with the Academy and then premiere "Cherry" in early 2021 on Apple TV+.

Article Link: Apple Pays $40+ Million for Worldwide Rights to Upcoming Film 'Cherry'

Reactions: Ar40 and DEXTERITY

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
There we go with Apple’s pursuit of all the MCU actors. Now we can add Tom Holland to the list. And the Russo brothers to boot!

Really good sounding premise. This is a definite watch for me. I like the spotlight on the opioid crisis and vets.

mannyvel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
I suppose that's the new model for movies: you sell rights to a streaming service and you trade your box office for money up-front (or maybe there's some kind of installment payment).

Though I doubt that movie would pull $40m, sounds like a downer/redemption movie.

Reactions: mcdawg and Ar40

agffth

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2014
I suppose that's the new model for movies: you sell rights to a streaming service and you trade your box office for money up-front (or maybe there's some kind of installment payment).

Though I doubt that movie would pull $40m, sounds like a downer/redemption movie.
I think they sell to streaming platforms first when either the creators realize the movie isn't as good as they'd hoped. Or they decide early on to quickly make the movie and move on to their next project as soon as possible. This way they can get paid and not risk having it "bomb" at the box office.

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
I think they sell to streaming platforms first when either the creators realize the movie isn't as good as they'd hoped. Or they decide early on to quickly make the movie and move on to their next project as soon as possible. This way they can get paid and not risk having it "bomb" at the box office.
Actually, it’s far more likely that movies are sold when they expect a minuscule box office but are very likely to win Oscars/awards. This way the streamer gets prestige and the filmmakers make a much better expected gross, beyond what the box office projected.

These awards movies regularly bring in 20 something million dollars, unlike the big summer movies or known brand genre movies (marvel, potter, star wars) which are 400M minimum.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
This is a great book. It’s VERY raw though. Certainly doesn’t fit with Apple’s family-friendly entertainment. Might be good for the catalog overall.

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
This is a great book. It’s VERY raw though. Certainly doesn’t fit with Apple’s family-friendly entertainment. Might be good for the catalog overall.
... because Apple TV+ just screams family friendly....

Exhibit 1: The Morning Show, See, Servant, Defending Jacob.

The amount of bad language and adult themes on these shows puts to bed the whole “all TV+ shows are family friendly” argument.

apparatchik

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Someone’s not looking for change under the sofa haha, it really looks uphill for Apple TV+ though unless the Prime model is actually profitable, ie.: the streaming service as a companion to something else. I dont think anyone but maybe Disney is actually competing with Netflix atm...

citysnaps

macrumors 604
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
... because Apple TV+ just screams family friendly....

Exhibit 1: The Morning Show, See, Servant, Defending Jacob.

The amount of bad language and adult themes on these shows puts to bed the whole “all TV+ shows are family friendly” argument.

And even Ted Lasso, with a lot of salty language. Speaking of which, today being Friday, another episode should be dropping this afternoon. Love that series!

mcdawg

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2015
ac-tors.gif

Another bit of "art" nobody in my family will have any interest in watching with the "Apple TV+" that we still have for free and never use.

But go on, Apple, you swinging, savvy Hollywood moguls, as you build an entertainment empire of eWorld proportions.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Apple TV+ being exclusively family-friendly was just a bogus rumor from the New York Post iirc. (That rag isn’t even fit to line a bird cage.) Supposedly Cook was upsetting producers by sending back notes that said “don’t be so mean” or something to that effect. Hilarious 🤣

There’s plenty of language, sex, violence etc. in the Apple TV+ catalog. They’re much more like HBO, and not at all like Disney.

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
View attachment 959401
Another bit of "art" nobody in my family will have any interest in watching with the "Apple TV+" that we still have for free and never use.

But go on, Apple, you swinging, savvy Hollywood moguls, as you build an entertainment empire of eWorld proportions.
There’s such a wide variety of content already on Apple TV+, will you still be saying the same thing five years from now when there are 500+ shows? Probably, it sounds like you’re quite determined. I’m sure you (and your family) can keep that streak going 🤣

Nice eWorld reference! Usually people go with Ping when they’re going back a decade or more to find an Apple loser 🙂

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
In "Cherry," actor Tom Holland (known for his role as Spider-Man) plays a Cleveland man named Walker who joins the army after being spurned by the love of his life. He becomes an Army medic in Iraq and is traumatized by the experience, suffering from PTSD.

To treat his PTSD, Walker is treated with Oxycontin, and that eventually leads to a heroin addiction. To pay for the drugs, Walker begins robbing banks.
Can't they just make nice movie plots anymore?

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
That narrative doesn’t really fit. The movie is finished and those who have seen it say it’s Oscar material.

mannyvel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
Plenty of good wholesome nihilistic entertainment for an entire dysfunctional family here: PTSD, drug addiction, and crime.

I'll get the popcorn. 🍿

And redemption. Leaving Las Vegas and Requiem for a Dream are outliers; most of the "mainstream" downer movies tend to have an upside at the end because America. But really, if you're going to have a downer movie you should go all the way - the way those two did. To paraphrase the saying, they need to go full depression to get an award.

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
And even Ted Lasso, with a lot of salty language. Speaking of which, today being Friday, another episode should be dropping this afternoon. Love that series!
Actually new episodes go up Thursday night at midnight EST. It’s been up for over 12 hours by now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.