Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
There are now 4 (not 3) Apple Pencils to choose from and 3 of them have the exact same product name, Apple Pencil. Good for the shareholders and Tim's bonus I guess.

pumpkinwhite

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2006
Am I the only one who's wondering as to why the new iPad Air and the new iPad Pro does not support the 2nd generation Pencil? The Pencil with USB-C is supported by previous gen iPad Airs and iPad Pro's as well as the new Airs/Pro's. So technically the 2nd generation Apple Pencil ought to be supported by the hardware. Why is it locked out?

I already have the 2nd Gen Apple Pencil, but I sold my previous iPad Pro and was waiting for the new iPad releases. I want to purchase the new iPad Air, but I don't want to buy a new pencil. Did they really simply software-lock it? Really scummy move by Apple if that's the case.

srknpower

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2016
All you have to do is look at what you have: for the latest ipad pros and air, the new pencil pro is the only choice. For previous usb-c ipad pros, gen 2 is the only choice. For the 10th gen ipad the cheap usb-c pencil is the only option and for lighting ipads only the 1st gen pencil works. No ipad is compatible with more than one apple pencil model, so the choice is obvious based on what ipad the customer owns..
iPad 10 both works with Apple Pencil 1st gen and Apple Pencil USB-C. Also M4 Pros support Apple Pencil USB-C.

Last edited:

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
So if I get a new ipad pro 11”, can I use the pencil I current have on the 2021 ipad pro, with this year’s ipad pro? I have read the apple.com pages about it, and this page and more MR pages, and I’m still not sure the answer… I think it’s ”no”… please correct me if not.

In other words, does the latest ipad pro released today, only accept the latest new pencil also released today?

Oof my poor head hurts reading this guide’s table and text.

MichaelAdam

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2005
There should not be such a complicated mess … Pencil 2 for every iPad … Pencil Pro for iPad m2 / M4 …

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
After all their talk about Mother Nature, Apple choose to sell four different plastic pencils, confusing their customers. Meantime, my 25€ ESR USB-C Pencil works with any iPad instantly without pairing. Sure, it does not have any Pro features, but still works remarkably well. My point is Apple could have released a new sub-100$ pencil compatible with all of their iPads.

familychoice

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2015
Basically the thing to take from this mess, is that when the next batch of new iPad’s is released and you consult their Venn diagram compatibility documentation - the Pencil you bought for the current one will most likely be as useful as a toothpick.

So it’s off to the bathroom for you, my barely 12 month old Pencil 2…

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Didn't realise Apple Pencil 2 (without USB-C) was blocked from supporting the newer iPads.

And you know there's no rational hardware reason for it, other than Apple wanting to fleece their customers.

Yeah no way i'm getting the new ones.

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
This is simple AF:

Step 1: Pick the iPad for your needs
Step 2: Pick the Pencil for your needs that works with your iPad
Step 3: Go home and enjoy it, make something cool, and/or take care of business

This is not the point. Of course, when buying new, one will (try to) choose what is compatible.

But the lack of compatibility has multiple bad consequences.
I have an old iPad and may want to upgrade; is it "great system design" that I cannot reuse the accessories ?
If I meet a colleague who also has an iPad and forgot the pencil home, is it great that the discussion ends up in "oh no, it is too bad you cannot let me use your pencil because of compatibility!" ?

No, none of this is great. If it was just this, I would say fine, this is just a drawback of the system. But there is more. The price point of an iPad system is ever higher. Moreover the iPad software still sucks overall and is not improving. I am now less and less sure I will actually replace my old iPad.

MacFarmer

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
haha, what the hell? :D This is just pure comedy. Why are they doing this? Didn't they learn form past mistakes?

I'm wondering if it would be such a hit on revenue if they would go back to simple product line, like in the golden days. I would assume Apple would sell more products.. Or is it that the devices these days are so good, that people keep them for way longer then before. Well at least I'm still rocking old iphone 11pro, ipad air2, mini 4, m1 air, and 9 other older macs. And see no reason to update.. Ok, if the price is right.. :D

Looks like there is a pressure form shareholders to keep growing revenues and stock price. Even though in early days Jobs didn't care about stock owners, but probably Tim gave in. On the other hand, if they would sell more products, maybe they could substitute revenue with growing services category. But I hate subscriptions. :D

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Looks like a very complicated lineup especially with the names of the various generations. Anyway those buying a new iPad Pro will be needing a Pencil Pro.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I guess a lot of people will talk how this is confusing (it is), and I'm not justifying it - but it's clear that going forward, there will be only two Apple Pencils: Regular and Pro, and that they will work on every iPad sold. It will take a year or two to sort this out.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
No. That’s not how backward compatibility works and that would limit the functionality and innovations the can do.

Wacom and other pen manufacturers don’t even do what you’re saying which is tech illiteracy at its finest.

A Wacom Pro Pen 3 couldn’t work nearly as well supporting legacy Cintiqs; same applies to Apple pencil.

If you could do better, the you do it or find manufacturers make products anywhere close to Apple’s or Wacom’s quality with digital pens.

Yup. Wacom Pro Pen 3 only works with the latest Cintiqs and Wacom has been known to limit new Pens to latest Intuoses and Cintiqs. I'm sure these pens being differentiators was a bonus, but the main reason was technology.

For new Pencils, they obviously had to change how charging works internally to support landscape cameras. And the fact that Pencil Pro also works with the new iPad Air - and will certainly work with the new iPad Mini (and maybe even a new version of the regular iPad) shows that this is not an artificial limitation but a technological one.

It won't stop people from whining, though :D

Reactions: lilkwarrior

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Now I know why Timmy continuously puts has hands together when telling us what he wants us to accept…… He is simply praying…. Praying that we will believe everything he says and convincing us to part with our wallet for anything… Bananas anybody, he’ll sell them to you as well.

Delgibbons

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2016
London

Apple now offers four different Apple Pencil models at $79, $99, and $129 price points, each with different feature sets and compatibility. Our guide helps you decide which Apple Pencil is best for you.

Apple-Pencil-Buyers-Guide-Graphic-ft-Pro.jpg

Which Apple Pencil you should buy is firstly determined by which iPad model you have. Some iPad models are only compatible with one kind of Apple Pencil, while others are compatible with two. If your iPad model only supports one kind of Apple Pencil, your buying decision is straightforward. Use the table below to find out which Apple Pencil models your iPad supports:

Apple Pencil (first-generation, 2015)Apple Pencil (second-generation, 2018)Apple Pencil (USB-C, 2023)Apple Pencil Pro (2024)
iPad Pro 12.9-inch (first- and second-generation)iPad Pro 12.9-inch (third-, fourth-, fifth-, and sixth-generation)iPad Pro 12.9-inch (third-, fourth-, fifth-, sixth-, and seventh- generation)iPad Pro 13-inch (seventh-generation)
iPad Pro 9.7-inch and 10.5-inchiPad Pro 11-inch (first-, second-, third-, and fourth-generation)iPad Pro 11-inch (first-, second-, third-, fourth-, and fifth-generation)iPad Pro 11-inch (fifth-generation)
iPad Air (third-generation)iPad Air (fourth- and fifth-generation)iPad Air (fourth-, fifth-, and sixth-generation)iPad Air (sixth-generation)
iPad mini (fifth-generation)iPad mini (sixth-generation)iPad mini (sixth-generation)
iPad (sixth-, seventh-, eighth-, ninth-, and tenth-generation)iPad (tenth-generation)

Simply put, if your iPad features a Lightning connector, it is only compatible with the first-generation Apple Pencil, providing it has Apple Pencil support at all. It will not work with the second-generation Apple Pencil or the Apple Pencil with USB-C. If your iPad features a USB-C port, it is compatible with the second-generation Apple Pencil and the Apple Pencil with USB-C, except the tenth-generation iPad, which supports the first-generation Apple Pencil and Apple Pencil with USB-C, and the M2 iPad Air and M4 iPad Pro, which support the Apple Pencil Pro and Apple Pencil with USB-C.

It is worth noting that the first-generation Apple Pencil is only compatible with the tenth-generation iPad using a USB-C cable and USB-C to Apple Pencil Adapter. It is not possible to use the first-generation Apple Pencil this way with any other iPad model that has a USB-C port.

All four Apple Pencil models feature "pixel-perfect" precision, low latency, and tilt sensitivity, but feature different designs, pairing and charging methods, pressure sensitivity capabilities, and more. The below table lists all hardware and feature differences between the different Apple Pencil models.

Apple Pencil (first-generation, 2015)Apple Pencil (second-generation, 2018)Apple Pencil (USB-C, 2023)Apple Pencil Pro (2024)
Glossy finishMatte finishMatte finishMatte finish
Weighted to prevent rollingFlat edge to prevent rolling and snap to the side of an iPadFlat edge to prevent rolling and snap to the side of an iPadFlat edge to prevent rolling and snap to the side of an iPad
Attaches magnetically for storage, pairing, and chargingAttaches magnetically for storageAttaches magnetically for storage, pairing, and charging
6.92-inch length6.53-inch length6.1-inch length[Currently unknown]
Removable capNon-removable sliding cap
Lightning connectorUSB-C port
Pair and charge via Lightning port or USB-C cable and USB-C to Apple Pencil AdapterPair and charge wirelesslyPair and charge via USB-C cablePair and charge wirelessly
Pressure sensitivityPressure sensitivityPressure sensitivity
Barrel roll
Double-tap to change toolsDouble-tap to change tools
Squeeze control
Haptic feedback
Find My support
Free engraving optionFree engraving option
$99$129$79$129

[td][/td]
[td]Supports Apple Pencil hover[/td]

First-Generation Apple Pencil vs. Apple Pencil With USB-C

Most users should choose the Apple Pencil with USB-C. For a price of just $79, the Apple Pencil with USB-C provides a good balance of features with a more modern design. It also has the added advantage of being compatible with a wide range of models and will likely work with all new iPad models for many years to come.

It is only worth opting for the first-generation Apple Pencil if you specifically want pressure-sensitivity for activities like illustration, since the Apple Pencil with USB-C does not have this feature. Buyers should be aware that this model comes at a $20 premium, requires a USB-C to Apple Pencil Adapter with the tenth-generation iPad, and will not be compatible with any future iPad models. It also cannot be magnetically attached to an iPad for storage, features a larger and older design, and has a removable cap over the Lightning connector that's easy to lose.

Second-Generation Apple Pencil or Apple Pencil Pro vs. Apple Pencil With USB-C

If choosing between the second-generation Apple Pencil or Apple Pencil Pro and the Apple Pencil with USB-C, the second-generation and Pro models are a better choice on account of their superior feature set, but this requires spending an additional $50. Double-tap to change tools and pressure-sensitivity may be particularly useful additions for illustrators, while the easy pairing and charging on the side of an iPad provides a much better experience than a wired connection with a USB-C cable.

If you have o... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Apple Pencil Buyer's Guide: Which Model Should You Choose?
Clear as mud. Got it.

DaniTheFox

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2023
Switzerland
I think we have to be patient. Every will be good when they introduce the next iPad 11 and the next iPad mini 7. Then we will have 3 Lines. The Pros, the Airs and the normal ones. All of them in two sizes. 13/11, 13/11 and 11/9. Ok the 9“ normal one will be called iPad mini. ;)
The mini is not a smaller one of the iPad. The iPad will hopefully the bigger mini. Because the mini is more advanced.
And then we will have only two pencils. The Pro and the USB-C. All the others are for legacy devices.

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
I think we have to be patient. Every will be good when they introduce the next iPad 11 and the next iPad mini 7. Then we will have 3 Lines. The Pros, the Airs and the normal ones. All of them in two sizes. 13/11, 13/11 and 11/9. Ok the 9“ normal one will be called iPad mini. ;)
The mini is not a smaller one of the iPad. The iPad will hopefully the bigger mini. Because the mini is more advanced.
And then we will have only two pencils. The Pro and the USB-C. All the others are for legacy devices.
...and they'll probably bring out another pencil just for the new Mini.....

Reactions: familychoice

aibloop

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2020
OMG, only an Ivy League MBA could dream up this product mess.
Yup, this is legit kinda insane… I have a M2 ipad pro, I cant use the new pencil because why? it doesn’t have bluetooth? mm it does! …Could it be for marketing reasons? Could it be so I spend 2000$ on a new one..dingdingdingBINGO

This is how you loose marketshare, this is how you become adobe. When you are so horny for the dollar that you push away people that buy your products.. Due to pure greed.

Not cool apple, why should I buy your products when every advantage or new feature is locked behind a 2000$ pricetag? 130$ I MIGHT consider for the new features, but there is no way you can convince me that you need an M4 processor for a bluetooth pen to work.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.