Apple Picks Up New Video Game Comedy From Charlie Day and Rob McElhenney

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 9, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple gave a straight to series order for a half-hour scripted comedy show created by Rob McElhenney and Charlie Day, reports Variety. The show is said to be set in a video game development studio.

Rob McElhenney and Charlie Day are best known for popular comedy show "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia," which the duo have starred in since 2005 alongside Glenn Howerton, Kaitlin Olson, and Danny DeVito.

[​IMG]

McElhenney and Day will write and executive produce the series, and McElhenney is set to be one of the show's stars.

Apple has inked deals for more than a dozen TV shows, including several other comedy shows. A "You Think It, I'll Say It" TV show based on Curtis Sittenfield's short story collection is in development, as is "Central Park," an animated series developed by Loren Bouchard.

A full list of all of the TV shows that Apple has in development is available in the Original Content section of our Apple TV roundup.

Rumors suggest the first of Apple's TV shows could debut in the spring of 2019, with Apple perhaps planning to distribute them via a new streaming service.

Article Link: Apple Picks Up New Video Game Comedy From Charlie Day and Rob McElhenney

2. ChazSch macrumors 6502

ChazSch

IASIP is one of the funniest shows ever. Great job guy!

is your cat too noisy?

3. TimmeyCook Suspended

TimmeyCook

Sillicon Valley has set the standard. U sure, Apple?

4. and 1989 others macrumors regular

I kind of feel sort for the writers and producers of the shows Apple keeps acquiring. Sadly they will never be a commercial success on the Apple platform. Personally I don't come to Apple for TV streaming. I use Netflix and Amazon. I use iTunes for tunes and movies. They're flogging a dead horse here.

5. hotstreaks, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018

hotstreaks macrumors newbie

it would be nice if Apple bought the rights or get the license to show NBC's "Heroes" by Tim Kring. New Seasons would draw in audience and yield Apple Music/Apple Entertainment subscriptions

[​IMG]

6. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

They missed the chance to have the show take place inside Apple’s software division.

7. code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

Let’s ignor the Mac hardware and focus on acquiring TV/Movie producers/writers/directors, these professionals can edit these Apple exclusive shows on their shiny new Windows/Linux machine.

Why can this company not provide importance to their core as well as new development revenue streams? The signs are becoming ever so clear, the Mac is a dump truck that lost its driver, wheels punctured, set ablaze and rolling into a pit. :eek::p:D
    --- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2018 ---
    Who do you propose will play Ives?

8. miniroll32 macrumors 65816

miniroll32

I prefer that other comedy they’re into, Where’s My Mac Mini. I hear Tim wrote it himself!

9. code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

Don’t worry I heard that Netflix is getting into the setup box and computing industry :eek::p:D
    Sounds like the title of a parody adult short film :p

10. RoobyRoobyRoo macrumors member

You'd come to Apple for TV if they had shows you wanted to watch. But they don't, so you don't. That doesn't mean it will never change.

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Alright Apple if you want to get my views. Bring back "Firefly". Browncoats Unite!

I'd also settle for "Dark Matter".

Anyways I assume the writers are from IASIP. If that's the case I doubt I'd watch this show either. So far I haven't seen any show mentioned for Apple's platform which looks compelling.

When I saw "Planet of the Apps" first announced. That was the only time my interest was peaked. Then I realized it wasn't "Planet of the Apes". I misread the title.

12. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

13. gruntersdad macrumors newbie

gruntersdad

14. code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

I come to Apple for my computing needs, which apparently their do not care for :(

Apple wants family oriented shows (no problem with that), however Disney already does this. Apple has a stake in Disney, just pair with them and problem solved, you have content. A joint venture where both benefit equally, Apple wants original content work with Disney rather than reinvent the wheel. Is Disney getting into mobile devices, computer and music or is Apple heading down Sony’s path.

15. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Video games? Not really in Silicon Valley. Agreed with it being the standard for comedies, especially concerning anything tech related. Jared Dunn is a pure treasure.

16. TracesOfArsenic macrumors member

TracesOfArsenic

I'm struggling to think of anyone pompous enough. Ben Kingsley could nail it but he's a bit too old looking.

17. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

To be fair, Sunny is some steep competition in itself for comedy in general, so I wouldn't count Day and Company out.
    You're assuming that none of these projects will be licensed out for other distribution. I see plenty of films and shows in theaters and on channels that come from Amazon Studios, for example.
    I think Rupert Friend could pull it off, though it is actual acting from him, and he's by all accounts not pompous in real life.

18. code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

I like Ben Kingsley as an actor, he does not need to stoop to that level. Maybe Animoji’s can be the actors for the Apple Campus version :cool:

19. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I wonder if they are considering Uber Karaoke to go along with Carpool Karaoke ?

20. WalterNeff macrumors regular

I hope ESPN starts broadcasting Major League Chardee MacDennis.

21. DocMultimedia macrumors 6502

DocMultimedia

22. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

pretty sure Disney isn't worrying about this.

23. code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

Sarcasm apologies if it was not relayed as such or did I miss (/s). Point is Disney does family oriented shows very well and their have been doing it for a very long time, if Apple is interested collaborate with them as their already have a very good relationship. Besides Disney is planning on launching an online streaming service soon which will only benefit the end user vice another competing service/option. KISS.

24. Danoc, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018 at 6:34 AM
  25. jeremiah256 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah256

HBO is now owned by AT&T, and Mickey Mouse, Lord of Copyright Extensions, seemingly owns everything else. Congress has no idea how to deal with technology and Net Neutrality has been kicked in the family jewels and is writhing on the ground.

Like it or not, Apple needs to have some original content for the same reasons Amazon, Facebook, and Google (YouTube) do. Movie and TV content is being consolidated in the hands of fewer and fewer companies. If Apple wants to keep having an influence, like when they helped fight against music companies DRM'ing the hell out of music, they need to have the ability to counter companies using access to influence Apple's decisions.

Like AI, this is a long term game. They don't need to win, but if they don't play at all, they will lose.