Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
That's what drives demand. No matter what, they want that "shortage" at the start.
[doublepost=1491249391][/doublepost]

Luckily, this isn't how the vast majority of buyers act. Limited availability actually drives sales up, which is why they create it with all products that are wild successes.

I'm not sure how to take this, seeing as I've bought every model of iPhone prior to last year's. So when you say 'vast majority of buyers', I'm not sure if I'm included or excluded. I'm still an iPhone/iOS guy, but the iCloud intrudence of the music app and the fact that my 6S+ still performs well persuaded me to wait until the next year's models.

I don't buy based on "limited availability". If that's the selling point (which I disagree with), then whatever, lol.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
It's going to be an interesting late '17 early '18 in mobile. iPhone 7s/8, Pixel 2, and S8/9 everone will be aiming much the same thing with different philosophies and strengths, and come late '18 I get to choose again!

tooltalk

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2015
NY, NY
Lot of comments here are from people who never worked in manufacturing.
Companies will not buy a off the shelf display and slap it on their phone, not unless they are making a 200$ phone.
Unless they are buying a standard screws.
I was working in a medical industry on a ventilator, we choose a motor that is closest to our needs and changed design of the motor, we added a PCB which will add capability to provide feedback on temperature, RPM, vibration, by the time we added these features motor design was changed unto 25% which increased the cost.
So Apple will not be buying a display from Samsung & slap it on iPhone, they will change the design to meet their needs.
And display quality depends on other factors as well like the processor driving the display, software driving the display, calibration (As per Anandtech iPhone display is more accurate than Samsung display) because Apple calibrates each and every iPhone for color accuracy.
[doublepost=1491450420][/doublepost]
GTAT has never manufactured sapphire, they are experts at providing sapphire manufacturing equipment, not manufacturing sapphire, this is where they screwed up, they made a deal with Apple to manufacture/supply Sapphire which is not their expertise.

Sure, that's exactly what Apple does. Apple asks their suppliers to tweak their parts to fit their products, but there is a huge difference between the integration work and the design of the underlying products that Apple is purchasing. This is not something Apple can design on their own and outsource manufacturing like their APs -- which was only possible after Apple bought PA-semi and Samsung's business partner Intrinsity. Apple has little or no expertise in display design or manufacturing. Period.

Last edited:

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
Either way Samsung will profit..They will thank Apple for buying 70 million displays so the S8 doesn't have to do too well although demand for the S8 is very high as of now...Even iPhone users are preparing to switch......

Literally the S8 makes any iPhone seem bland...A phone with VR support, pc desktop ability, and much more....It's just laughable now...Can't wait for my S8 Plus to arrive....

The desktop capability is genuinely one of the most pointless things I think I've ever seen.

Ironic..You will buy the most boring phone of this year..The iPhone 8.....It's laughable...There is nothing remotely interesting about a iPhone.....Apple has done nothing with the iPhone for years.....

Well Samsungs last phone was certainly 'interesting'

Reactions: I7guy

KnightMagic

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2017
The desktop capability is genuinely one of the most pointless things I think I've ever seen.

Not to be contrary but I do think you are reaching when you say it's the most pointless things.. I dare say if Apple had implemented it first a lot of people on this forum would view this differently.

The way mobile technology is creeping on traditional computing, I can see the ability to dock a phone (that is always with you) and be able to browse the web, word process while leveraging greater screen space / keyboard and mouse would be an attractive prospect to non-power users. Going forwards phones will continue to be more powerful and you'll be able to do more in this docked mode.

I could genuinely see this developing into a game changer for people who hot desk or travel to different offices. You only need to look at Apple's offerings such as the iPad Pro or the Surface line to see where we are heading, implementing this idea of a desktop/laptop replacement in a phone although the next logical step is still quite bold at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.