Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Production on the 2017 iPhone is moving along, with Apple recently having placed orders for 70 million OLED panels, reports Nikkei. Samsung, as we already know, will be Apple's sole OLED supplier, and will provide Apple with the panels.

Demand for the 2017 iPhone, which is expected to feature a major design overhaul with an edge-to-edge display, glass body, and a premium price tag, is expected to be high as it typically is in a year when a new look is unveiled. Apple and Samsung are gearing up to meet demand with the large panel order.

iphonexconcept2-800x800.jpg
"iPhone X" concept via Gabor Balogh

Nikkei's info comes from a supply chain source and also matches with estimates provided by IHS Markit analyst David Hsieh.
"Apple has ordered 70 million units of OLED panels from Samsung this year, while Samsung is preparing to churn out as many as 95 million for Apple in 2017, in case demand exceeds expectations," Hsieh said.
There have already been rumors suggesting the OLED iPhone will be in short supply when it launches in September, with the majority of the stock unavailable until later in the year, and Hsieh also believes that could be the case. "It is also possible that some of these 70 million handsets will not be shipped to customers this year and be carried over to next year depending on demand," he said.

Nikkei's industry source, in addition to covering panel orders, also shared some details on the upcoming device that echoes many rumors we've heard in the past.

The site believes we will see a premium OLED iPhone with a 5.2-inch screen and no home button, which will be sold alongside standard 4.7 and 5.5-inch devices with LCD screens and home buttons. All three iPhones will include wireless charging functionality (lately said to be inductive) and waterproofing, while at least one model, presumably the OLED iPhone, will include a 3D sensor that supports facial recognition.

Other features rumored for the iPhone 8 not mentioned in Nikkei's report include camera improvements, a faster and more efficient A11 processor, Touch ID built into the display, True Tone ambient light adjustment, and perhaps augmented reality functionality enabled through the camera.

Article Link: Apple Places Order for 70 Million OLED iPhone Panels From Samsung

Reactions: nortonandreev

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
"Apple has ordered 70 million units of OLED panels from Samsung this year, while Samsung is preparing to churn out as many as 95 million for Apple in 2017, in case demand exceeds expectations," Hsieh said.
Now, that's proactiveness!

busyscott

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
California
At this point, Samsung has to realize that "iPhone sold out in 30 seconds" is a great headline for Apple and an equally bad headline for Galaxy S8. I'm sure they want to meet demand as much as Apple does.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Let's hope they can fill the order so we will not have shortages on release day as in previous years .

The long wait time for availability of the 7 caused me to just not buy one. I figured 'hey, I've waited this long, may as well just wait until next year." It's the first model of iPhone I passed on. I did the same with AirPods, I was looking forward to a pair, but opted for a different brand of wireless as the wait times are just too long.

Reactions: macgabe

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
"Samsung, as we already know, will be Apple's sole OLED supplier, and will provide Apple with the panels."
really didn't know MR has access to the sales contract or are they guessing like everyone else

Last edited:

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Sincerely doubt the 7s models will have wireless charging or have major changes to the body other than an a gesture area to the front of the home button. And I sincerely doubt that we'll be seeing anything else other than a commemorative 10 year anniversary "edition" of the 7s

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I wonder what it's like to say "I like it. I'll take 70 million of them, please. Just charge it to my account."

as we already know
Let's stay clear on what we know and what is rumored. I don't think we actually know much of anything at this point...

Reactions: lincolntran

33man

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
Can Samsung just saying, sorry but, hmm no.... We are running low on screen qty with our s8...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.