Apple Planning Both 10.2-Inch 'iPad 7' and All-New 10.5-Inch iPad According to Proven Leaker

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 13, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Throwing a wrench into rumors, the previously accurate Twitter account CoinX today claimed that Apple plans to release not only a 10.2-inch seventh-generation iPad, but also an entirely new 10.5-inch iPad without Pro branding. The tablets will not be released simultaneously, according to the tweet.

[​IMG]

If accurate, Apple could perhaps be planning to release a slightly scaled back version of the existing 10.5-inch iPad Pro, which could allow it to fill a price point between the $329 lower-end iPad and the $799 and up 2018 iPad Pro models.

CoinX has an accurate track record, having previously tweeted the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR names of the 2018 iPhones before anyone else, in addition to the 2018 iPad Pro being 5.9mm thick and a few minor details about other Apple products. It is unclear where the information is sourced from.

The 10.2-inch iPad should end up being a larger-screen version of the existing 9.7-inch iPad, and it will likely be released within the next few weeks alongside minor refreshes to the iPad mini and iPod touch. It's unclear if any of the products will be unveiled at Apple's services-focused March 25 event.

The 10.5-inch non-pro iPad could be released later this year, perhaps alongside the next iPad Pro lineup.

Article Link: Apple Planning Both 10.2-Inch 'iPad 7' and All-New 10.5-Inch iPad According to Proven Leaker

2. 16BitArcadeGraphics macrumors newbie

16BitArcadeGraphics

what exact model is this? there are so many ipad models out today that no common consumer has any idea of what is what and the minute differences. it's bad enough that retailers themselves had to name these units "generations" rather apple naming them ipad 1, ipad 2 and so on. and iphone 8 jumped to iphone x (10). where is 9?

3. newyorksole macrumors 68040

Sounds like a confusing product lineup Lol. All these different sized screens and variations of the same type of product.

I can’t wait for the event though.

4. TSE macrumors 68030

Wut.

Diluting the lineup even further?

I think it's unfair to say Tim Cook needs to run the company like Steve, but I think there is something to be said about what Steve did with the lineup when he came back:

[​IMG]

5. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

The current lineup isn't confusing at all.

6. HJM.NL macrumors 68000

HJM.NL

Adding even more confusement to the already confusing lineup :confused:

Focus Timmy, focus!

7. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

8. IRockThat828pScreen macrumors member

IRockThat828pScreen

9. Klae17 macrumors 65816

Klae17

This is getting more and more confusing. We need a Mini, Mini Pro, iPad, iPad Pro, iPad +, and iPad Pro +. Also throw in the Mac Pro and iMac upgrades while they are at it.

10. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

I could get on board with an iPad semi-pro as a casual use tablet in my home.

11. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Looks like with the iPhones, Apple is finding out that the $1000+ iPads are not selling that well. Did they need this "beta" effort to know this? Squeezing a lot of technology into a device is commendable but useless to most consumers - these are just glorified e-readers and multimedia screens of convenience.

12. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Ugh. If only one of those 3 billion 10.x" models could have been a fully specced iPad Mini with OLED.

13. HJM.NL macrumors 68000

HJM.NL

For the average customer it’s even harder to know which one bends and which one doesn’t. Maybe it’s tactic :confused:

14. fokmik macrumors 68040

Now even samsung has a more clean up line up for their tablets....now Apple become the last Samsung and not in a good way
    ipad mini 8", ipad 10.2", ipad 10.5" ipad pro 11" and ipad pro 12.9"
    Jesus

15. IRockThat828pScreen macrumors member

IRockThat828pScreen

There are 3 ipad pros, 2 different apple pencils that all work on different machines, the ipad mini that costs more than the 9.7 inch ipad and now apparently we're getting two different sizes of the same ipad that are only .3 inches different

16. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Tim please listen to this man.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2019 ---
    This will be the iPad REEEEEEEEEEEEE

17. iMacian macrumors member

Standard iPads are plenty fast and useful enough for me.

The non laminated screen is actually a lot cheaper to repair, so I hope it stays and Apple bumps the brightness instead.

18. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

They won't be the same iPad though. You'll have the insanely affordable iPad as it exists today, and an iPad semi-pro with better display, better specs, etc. but without some of the high-end features and advanced technologies in the actual pro models. It makes sense to make more of the advanced Pro features available to those willing to pay a bit more for a better version of the cheapest iPad, but not willing to spend the full amount for the best-in-class iPad Pro.

19. zombierunner macrumors 65816

zombierunner

20. now i see it macrumors 68030

There will only ever be four iPad models at most. Forever

1. Mini
    2. Cheap regular size
    3. Expensive slightly bigger size
    4. Expensive really big size

21. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

They seem to love dancing around this 10" area when for me the most obvious thing is to go way, way, bigger.

Bigger than the 13", I want a 15-17" iPad. I would only use it for work though, I'd keep one of the sixteen variations of the 10" for general consumption.

22. IRockThat828pScreen macrumors member

IRockThat828pScreen

We need a proper mid range iPad. Right now you either have to choose budget or pro. I think a $529 midrange ipad wit a decent screen, A11, USB-C, Apple Pencil 2 support, and a home button would be killer

23. nawnp macrumors newbie

Is one of these supposed to be that new iPad mini, because surely they won't release 5 new iPads this year?
    I'd still like to see a return to the $500 price point with one of these models under any circumstance, if its upgraded to a 10.5" screen that would be nice, but that leaves the question of what's the advantage of the iPad Pro? 120 Hz screen, nicer speakers, and still X version of A13 processor, possibly the base iPad having A12? That might be worth the a $100 upgrade, but I don't imagine them using that to reason the $300 difference, so they might have something new to show off in this years pros.

24. HJM.NL macrumors 68000

HJM.NL

Yes! You had a choice in each of the categories. Good, better and best.

There is too much too chose from now. You’ve old, older, oldest; stiff and bendable; the normal and the pro models (what’s the difference except a bit more speedier but same software?).

But they all have one thing in common: they won’t come cheap :cool: