Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Planning Interest-Free Apple Card Payment Plans for Macs, AirPods, iPads and More

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Oh good grief people, the poster was just making a joke. Lighten up.
Yeah yeah it’s always “it was a joke” when someone rebuttals. But I also didn’t think my comment necessitated and “lighten up” response - I thought it was pretty straight forward and matter of fact.

Reactions: macfan90

LeeW

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Not really new or unsurprising, I mean Amazon will allow you 5 months interest-free on their own devices such as the fire. You want people to buy your products whatever the price then offering good terms is a way to do it.

I am not a fan of credit and prefer the approach of if I don't have the money today then I can't afford it. But if a vendor offers interest-free then I will use it as a free way to preserve some capital.

macfan90

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2014
12 months is not long enough for an expensive Mac. Plus, add in the fact that Apples moving at a glacier pace with desktop updates and right now the iMac bto will take till July 7-15 to arrive. Crazy.

aknabi

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2011
Smart social financial engineering move... jack up the already nuts price of upgrades such as RAM and then mask it by spreading those out so people will load up on the insanely priced RAM/SSD

Reactions: macfan90

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
12 months is not long enough for an expensive Mac. Plus, add in the fact that Apples moving at a glacier pace with desktop updates and right now the iMac bto will take till July 7-15 to arrive. Crazy.

Regarding your first point: Many people are working remotely now. So 12 months to completely pay off an expensive Mac could easily replace a car payment.

From Apple's perspective the timing on this couldn't be better.

compwiz1202

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2010
Tried to apply for this card and got turned down with a 813 credit score and 100% perfect payment history. Makes sense.
And were some of the reasons for denial untrue? Saying crap like severe delinquencies when I haven't been late in I don't know how many years now.

Bandaman

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2019
And were some of the reasons for denial untrue? Saying crap like severe delinquencies when I haven't been late in I don't know how many years now.
Yes. The reasons aren’t actual reasons that applied. Seemed incredibly arbitrary. I can go get any other card right now, lease a sports car, buy a house, pretty much do anything. But get this card? Nope.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
As the Apple Card is very unlikely coming to the Uk . Those of us in the uk will still have to save to buy latest Apple products.
Shame that Apple Card isn't available in the UK and other places yet. I've not given up hope yet, though! Hopefully we'll see it here in the UK this year...

Cartoonkid

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2009
Sunny So Cal
I don't see why the promotion of consumer debt for what is, for most people, a discretionary purchase, should be regarded as a good thing.

Americans in particular are saddled with high levels of credit card debt - The constant keeping up with the Joneses is not good for anyone except big corporations bottom line...

You're assuming that, just because someone purchases something on a credit card, that will put them in debt.

I charge everything I possibly can every month and pay my credit cards off in full every month.
[automerge]1591629428[/automerge]
Hardly considering your devices continue to work when they’re paid off. Not like a subscription at all unless you consider a mortgage and car payment a subscription as well, at which point ‘subscription’ loses all relevant meaning.

Exactly. This is just creating a recurring hardware revenue stream for Apple.

compwiz1202

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2010
Hardly considering your devices continue to work when they’re paid off. Not like a subscription at all unless you consider a mortgage and car payment a subscription as well, at which point ‘subscription’ loses all relevant meaning.
And it's only like a sub if you get a new device before the current one is paid.
[automerge]1591630646[/automerge]
You're assuming that, just because someone purchases something on a credit card, that will put them in debt.

I charge everything I possibly can every month and pay my credit cards off in full every month.
[automerge]1591629428[/automerge]

Exactly. This is just creating a recurring hardware revenue stream for Apple.
Yes and for all the people who pay in full on time, there are plenty that don't. And most of the 0% are nasty where even if you miss paying $1 of the total in time, BOOM all the deferred interest is upon you. And even for the ones who pay well, they still most like get services $$$.

Reactions: laz232

AceFernalld

macrumors demi-god
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Yes. The reasons aren’t actual reasons that applied. Seemed incredibly arbitrary. I can go get any other card right now, lease a sports car, buy a house, pretty much do anything. But get this card? Nope.
So I applied with my identical 813 credit score, 1% revolving debt utilization, very small DTI (only outstanding debt is a small car loan), relatively high income...

And I got approved. But only for a $5500 limit at 16% APR. I was really hoping for their top-tier 11%. Not sure what kind of credit profile you need to get that 11%. I don't plan on letting any balances sit on a credit card but if I ever had or wanted to I wanted the lowest possible APR. Oh, well.

Cartoonkid

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2009
Sunny So Cal
Yes and for all the people who pay in full on time, there are plenty that don't. And most of the 0% are nasty where even if you miss paying $1 of the total in time, BOOM all the deferred interest is upon you. And even for the ones who pay well, they still most like get services $$$.

If by "nasty" you mean that all the past interest becomes due, then yes, they are. But that's not nasty. It's the contract the cardholder agreed to by making a purchase under that program. If you don't pay the minimum required each month, then the interest kicks in.

And not sure what you mean about services $$$. If you pay as agreed, there are no hidden service fees for 0% interest programs.

Reactions: jaytv111

jaytv111

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
I assume the gotcha is they will take away the cash back if you finance.

Nope, at least not with the iPhone plan now. They give the full cashback when you buy. There'd be no reason to not have that on other products.

Apple Card Monthly Installments are the new, easy way to buy an iPhone and pay over time, with interest-free, low monthly payments.1 And you get 3% Daily Cash all up front when your iPhone ships or when you buy a new iPhone at an Apple store.

topmounter

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
They just need to update the iMac design and I might use it... of course more readily available financing means there will be less pressure to be aggressive on pricing.

nylonsteel

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2010
i dont have a aapl card yet
was kinda dissapointed in plain look of card
but now i appreciate the all white since all my cards in my wallet have various mixed up colors
the white would be a standout visual in my wallet

Kurri

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Does the Apple Card ever have any promotions? example, sign up for southwest card get so many miles, or sign up for a cash back card and get $100 statement credit when you spend x amount. I was thinking about signing up for the card but I can wait if they do promotions from time to time.

Clix Pix

macrumors demi-goddess
Really pleased with my Apple Card. Making a payment is so quick and easy it's almost fun! I have been using mine primarily for large, expensive purchases such as camera gear (body and lenses) and things related to computer use (LG 24" Thunderbolt 3 monitor), for instance, and when the time starts approaching the end of the month, I just pick up my iPhone, go into the Wallet and click here, double-click there, and, boom, the bill is paid! I expect that when the time comes I will indeed be using it to make a purchase of a new Apple computer as well......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.