Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Accompanying the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, iPad Pro and next-generation Apple TV set to be announced next week, Apple is also planning a revamped iPad keyboard and new metal finishes for the Apple Watch Sport, including a less expensive gold version, according to The New York Times.

Apple-iPad-Keyboard-800x170.jpg

9to5Mac reported similar information, claiming the iPad Pro will have expanded Bluetooth keyboard support and that Apple is working on a new keyboard accessory for the rumored 12.9-inch tablet, which could be released by year end. The report also hinted at the possibility of new gold Apple Watch Sport colors.

Last month, a new Apple Wireless Keyboard with Bluetooth 4.2 and a rechargeable lithium-on battery was discovered in filings with the U.S. Federal Communications Commission. Images of an Apple Wireless Keyboard with backlit keys and a power button also briefly surfaced on the Apple Online Store in March.

MacRumors has also received information about Apple's plans to release at least one new metal finish for the Apple Watch. KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo first noted the Apple Watch may gain additional casing options in March, and three months later said a yellow and rose gold Apple Watch Sport will launch in the fall.

neistat_gold_apple_watch-800x448.jpg
Apple Watch Sport spray painted gold by Casey Neistat on YouTube

Apple is also expected to debut new Apple Watch Sport bands at its September 9th media event, possibly with a focus on darker colors.

MacRumors will be providing live blog coverage of Apple's "Hey Siri" media event, which begins next Wednesday at 10:00 AM Pacific.

Article Link: Apple Planning Revamped iPad Keyboard, New Metal Finishes for Apple Watch

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2011
That's why the Gold Apple Watch is a waste of money because people can spray paint the apple sports watch. No point in spending $10,000+ just because the color is gold. It's made out of real gold but it doesn't have any advantage if other people can easily paint their watches Gold.

Reactions: AleXXXa

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
That keyboard is welcome. I wonder if the design will be the same as the current keyboard, though.

Reactions: AleXXXa

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
That's why the Gold Apple Watch is a waste of money because people can spray paint the apple sports watch. No point in spending $10,000+ just because the color is gold. It's made out of real gold but it doesn't have any advantage if other people can easily paint their watches Gold.

Exactly. Though I think that by releasing a "gold" Sport model, they're making the "Real" gold Edition model even less special. I really, really don't think they'll come out with a gold Sport model.

Watch me eat my words though.

mattoligy

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2010
Cloud 9
"9to5Mac reported similar information, claiming the iPad Pro will have expanded Bluetooth keyboard support"

More so than is already in iOS9? Ok this is confusing, but exciting at the same time.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

mgmusicman94

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008

So when I get married should I buy aluminum wedding bands and just spray paint them gold? Real gold doesn't have any advantage if other people can easily paint their rings gold..

Seriously though, the reason people buy the gold watches is because they want a jewelry piece, not just for the color on the surface.

Chad-VI

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
I don't know if a matte gold finish would look really classy on an Apple Watch but we'll have to wait and see. More options to chose from never hurts.

Thares

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2011
If that was the case nobody would buy anything made of solid gold, because there would always be a way to just plate it with gold or spray something in a gold color.

But is that the situation? No. Because people buy stuff made of solid gold because they can - and they like the real gold options better. There are of course people who want to imitate the gold, due to their own impression management or just because they like the color.

Kinda sucks for early Apple Watch Sport buyers (that wanted a gold-like finish) if they introduce new colors.
That's all in their minds. The product doesn't get worse just because there is a new product. It stays the same. It's the "I want to have the new thing" attitude which leads to unhappiness with the previous product.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I don't know if a matte gold finish would look really classy on an Apple Watch but we'll have to wait and see. More options to chose from never hurts.

Is this really any different from anodized silver and space gray on an Apple Watch? It'd be the same anodized gold color finish as the Gold iPhone. It hardly looks like real gold seen on the Edition.

Last edited:

mattoligy

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2010
Cloud 9
iPad keyboard that acts as a smart cover and connects like one??? Yes please ;)

Surface ripoff anyone :p

So when I get married should I buy aluminum wedding bands and just spray paint them gold?

Yes, you should! Then you can donate the money you save to charities that work to save people's lives rather than waste money on expensive elements on your fingers...

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
If that was the case nobody would buy anything made of solid gold, because there would always be a way to just plate it with gold or spray something in a gold color.

But is that the situation? No. Because people buy stuff made of solid gold because they can - and they like the real gold options better. There are of course people who want to imitate the gold, due to their own impression management or just because they like the color.

That's all in their minds. The product doesn't get worse just because there is a new product. It stays the same. It's the "I want to have the new thing" attitude which leads to unhappiness with the previous product.

Exactly. Also some people are allergic to fake gold and have physical skin reactions.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
The difference in the product is in its aesthetic. They may have preferred one of the new colors but settled for one of the old ones because they weren't available.

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
Surface ripoff anyone :p

Yes, you should! Then you can donate the money you save to charities that work to save people's lives rather than waste money on expensive elements on your fingers...
Right. I'm sure you live in a tent and donate all your money that you don't use on food to "charity." This is why we need the down vote button back.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I don't suppose there's any chance they'll bring back a revamped version of the Apple Extended Keyboard II? Sigh...
#mechanicalkeyboards4ever

How about a matrix keyboard?
#cricketschirping

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.