Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg reports that Apple is planning to develop new models of the iPhone, including one that would be both smaller and cheaper than that current model, to aid the company in its battle against Android in the smartphone market.
Apple Inc. is working on new versions of the iPhone that are aimed at slowing the advance of competing handsets based on Google Inc.'s Android software, according to people who have been briefed on the plans.

One version would be cheaper and smaller than the most recent iPhone, said a person who has seen a prototype and asked not to be identified because the plans haven't been made public. Apple also is developing technology that makes it easier to use the iPhone on multiple wireless networks, two people said.
According to the report, the smaller iPhone could be priced at about $200 without requiring a contract, presumably paving the way for carriers to offer subsidies that could make the phone free when purchased with a service contract.

The prototype smaller iPhone is reportedly about one-third smaller than the iPhone 4, and would use many of the same components found in the current iPhone.
While Apple has aimed to unveil the device near mid-year, the introduction may be delayed or scrapped, the person said. Few Apple employees know the details of the project, the person said. Apple often works on products that do not later get released.

Rumors of an "iPhone nano" have popped up from time to time, but have been relatively quiet over the past couple of years.

The report also notes that Apple is working on dual-mode iPhone that could operate on both GSM and CDMA networks, a claim that should not be surprising given Apple's use of a dual-mode baseband chip from Qualcomm in the CDMA iPhone. Finally, Bloomberg that Apple is continuing to pursue the idea of built-in SIM cards that would allow users to easily switch between carriers via simple software settings.

Article Link: Apple Planning Smaller iPhone Priced at $200 Without Contract

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I'd be thrilled if I could get one that has the data plan, but let me use their pre-pay "Go" plan for the voice option since I don't talk a lot on the phone. I average around $8.50 a month with my pre-pay voice phone. I simply don't need $40+ in voice minutes every month, but data on the other hand.... Right now I have no option. At $70+ a month, I could buy a new MBP almost every other year with what I do now (iPod Touch + AT&T pre-pay phone). With the option I would like, I could still buy a new MBP nearly every 4 years with the savings over the existing iPhone plans.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Interesting. The only problem is, what makes the iPhone expensive is the data plan, and an iPhone without a data plan would defeat the purpose, no?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
With the HTC Inspire being only $100 on contract, the 3GS doesn't even have a chance. Apple needs to do something, but not an iPhone nano :eek:

*Edit* : I forgot the 3GS is only $50 on contract now.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
great. here we go with iPhone nano threads :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

not going to happen.

I'm right there with you. Why wouldn't they make cheaper computers then to compete with cheap Windows computers? Apple doesn't roll like this and I don't think they feel that threatened by Android to do this.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would love such a phone. Don't think it will happen, but I'd like one for when I'm in the field.

I think it will happen, given how Android is kicking the teeth of iOS in relative to momentum.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
I'd be thrilled if I could get one that has the data plan, but let me use their pre-pay "Go" plan for the voice option since I don't talk a lot on the phone. I average around $8.50 a month with my pre-pay voice phone. I simply don't need $40+ in voice minutes every month, but data on the other hand.... Right now I have no option. At $70+ a month, I could buy a new MBP almost every other year with what I do now (iPod Touch + AT&T pre-pay phone). With the option I would like, I could still buy a new MBP nearly every 4 years with the savings over the existing iPhone plans.

I'm 100% with you on this. I spend maybe, *maybe* $15 a month on my prepaid line. I don't need 400 minutes + data + text. I have wifi all over, google voice to text, and cheap minutes.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA
It's the iphone nano all over again. Smaller phones don't sell as well. Look at the pixi, aria, pre etc. All are overshadowed by phones with >3.7" screens these days. If apple did anything, it'd make more sense to make a bigger phone, not a smaller one.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I'm not so sure this would happen, although I would like it to happen, I've never understood why Apple doesn't make more affordable products.. If Apple would make more affordable Macs I think people would jump the bandwagon, the primary reason more people use a Windows machine is because it's much more affordable.

I don't think it'd too complicated making a more affordable computer while still making it look beautiful, cuz we all know Apple doesn't like to compromise design.. I just think if Apple did target that $300-600 market we would see so many more Mac users.. which would mean more people would also start developing for OSX

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Anything is possible, I guess, but I don't see it happening. How much smaller could they make it? Wouldn't apps have to be rewritten?

I am sure they have prototypes but I doubt it'll ever be released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.