Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
I'm right there with you. Why wouldn't they make cheaper computers then to compete with cheap Windows computers? Apple doesn't roll like this and I don't think they feel that threatened by Android to do this.
Because as El-Jobso has said repeatedly they don't know how to make a cheap computer that isn't a POS. On the other hand, they do know how to make a $200 iPhone -- after all they made a $200 iPod Touch.

An unlocked, no contract $200 iPhone would be a killer product among young people in Europe, and lower income consumers world-wide.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I heard they are also working on a white iphone and that Verizon will get the iphone.

What will they think of next?

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
What seems problematic to me is scaling of apps at different screen sizes (same with the rumored iPad 3 'retina'). I guess you could have different size screens at the same resolution, or have a small iPhone and normal iPhone resolutions at a ratio of 2:1 for easy scaling, but the whole thing seems a little less-than-elegant, which means there's probably a solution I'm not thinking of. What is it?

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
smaller screen, same resolution: yes
slower procesor, 3GS or A4: yes
smaller baterry live: yes

But, smaller resolution, slower than 3GS and same baterry: no

MarximusMG

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2009
Denver
Very interesting. I find it hard to see this happening, but I'll be interested to see if anything develops in this area.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
The 3GS is $50, How much would this one cost? 20? Free?
The $50 3GS requires a 2 year contract, which at an absolute minimum is $700. More with text messages, tax, etc.

There is a HUGE difference between a $750 iPhone and a $200 iPhone. Yes, some consumers will be too dumb to understand that, but in many countries, unsubsidized, unlocked phones plus pre-paid phone service are the norm.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.2; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRH78C) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I'd snap one up. Sounds interesting.

stewart715

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Hello 'iPhone 5' this summer.

This June is too soon for a full release of a brand new iPhone -- this makes perfect sense. The leaps from iPhone to iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4 were big.

iPhone 4 to iPhone 5 won't be a big leap until they add LTE which won't happen until 2012.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I really just don't think that it'll happen. $200 is 1/3 the price of iPhone 4, and the rumor says they'll have similar internals. No one would buy the $699 iPhone 4 if they could get 3 iPhone nanos for that price.
A smaller iPod touch for $200 would be a great product and a definite possibility.

Lunchbox700

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
MN
I don't think this is to crazy of an idea . One I know plenty of people that want smaller phones, but also this would be subsidized by the app store. The make enough on everything they sell that its not hard to believe that they take the video game company approach and not worry about the hardware costs and care more about the install and the software they are selling.

taeeumin

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
Mini iPhone?

photo.JPG

my friend from china show me this small iphone he got in china...
may be it's fake one but had all the official logo with it.

BTW, right next to it was a fake iphone and it says "Phone" not "iPhone" lol

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Not happening.

Apple doesn't feel threatened and there's no reason to feel that way. Everyone wants their device, every carrier wants their device. The reason why Android handsets get discounted down to free isn't because the carrier is providing more of a subsidy but because the carrier is eating the customer price because they can't move them. Apple isn't going to race to the bottom on price.

There's also no good reason to develop a new model when the 3GS is already $49. All you do is keep the 3GS around at free, iPhone 4 at $99, iPhone 5 at $199 when June rolls around. Done. The 3GS will still be a capable device then.

stewart715

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Interesting. The only problem is, what makes the iPhone expensive is the data plan, and an iPhone without a data plan would defeat the purpose, no?

Not in Apple's eyes. It's the same concept as buying 'Fruit Loops' or buying the 'General Value Fruity Loops.'

They figure they may was well try to make money off of those who can't afford Fruit Loops by selling General Value Fruity Loops. Same concept -- People that can't afford an iPhone with data would likely want to buy an iPhone for cheaper without data -- thus Apple makes money.

For all of you who think Apple is truly in it for the consumer and not the money, you are truly mislead.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Interesting. The only problem is, what makes the iPhone expensive is the data plan, and an iPhone without a data plan would defeat the purpose, no?

Not at all - there a huge number of people who buy phones who would like an iPhone for use on WiFi and will not pay for the data plan.

Look at all of the kids in high school who pay $200-$300 for an iPod touch. Why not get an iPhone w/o data for the same price, and combine the phone with your iPod?

This seems so obvious to me. Can't figure out why they won't do this, unless the carriers just won't sell one with out the data plans...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.