Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
This is disruptive and beautiful. And it will kick the cable internet providers in the teeth. And they will get in the cellular phone service. And kick the cell phone companies in the teeth. Meanwhile, Apple will bring out a search engine, kicking Google in the teeth.

And then they'll get into dentistry, making a killing off all that teeth kicking. :D

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
So why would I want this over DirecTV? It seems like nothing more than s slimmed down cable package.

No contracts, no weird dudes coming into your house. No channel numbers. No 1980s style "DVR" technology that's really just a digital VCR. No crap channels like HGTV.

felipesalomao

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2015
For me, it only would be new revolution if you have option to buy separeted channels.. Would be awesome have for example: each channel for USD 0.99, 1.99 or 2.99. Then group channel like live sports (champions league, NFL and others) for USD 8.99 or USD 9.99. On my TV broadcast I have 130 channels but only watch live football events, open channels and about 6 paid channels like discovery Channel, history channel and others.. Could have packages for group channels like we already have on App store.. If you buy selected channels (group) instead pay 5 x USD 2.99, you will pay USD 9.99 for all these 5 channels..

Another thing is that all tv shows would be available on demand any time for at least 1 week.. It would kill cheap dvr solutions.. No limitations to record whatever number of channels at same time! This would be game changer!

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
I like HGTV. I always make fun of the politically correct "find a new home" shows that have gay couples with extremely bad taste (and ****-loads of money), but we need to endure it just because it's the way things are these days. *pout* .

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Siiiiigh

I wish TV programming wasn't so popular.

So, so many better things we could be doing.

But yay for consumer choice, I suppose.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
So, .... they GOT to be making a new Apple TV , right ?!

And if so, what will be the thing that sets it apart? What new feature ?

I think it will be games. Pretty sure it will have some new channel too. Like original programming from Apple or something like that.

But everyone buying that $69 box right now will be pretty pissed off feeling that they were suckered into offloading remaining inventory of an obsolete box to make room for something way better.

That kinda sucks.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
LOL!!! $30-$40?? Already too expensive. I'm sure this also includes commercials. I cut the cord long ago. I'm perfectly happy finding the few shows I do watch online legally or not. Never ever going back to "package" tiers like this especially with ads. It might as well be called Apple CableTV. "Channels" are dead. Content is king.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
meh

But everyone buying that $69 box right now will be pretty pissed off feeling that they were suckered into offloading remaining inventory of an obsolete box to make room for something way better.

That kinda sucks.

Eh, it's only $70. The type of person who wasn't willing to buy an Apple TV at regular price probably won't care much about getting the latest one.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.

I think it will be games. Pretty sure it will have some new channel too. Like original programming from Apple or something like that.

That kinda sucks.

Pretty obvious that they are dumping the current gen right now to clear out for a new one in the fall. I'd expect a 4k model although I doubt there will be much content available native. Anyone buying now should realize it's pretty old tech.

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
The biggest challenge I see for me and other sports fans is that Comcast will not join in.

I'll give you my example (which is common for others in big cities where Comcast (and now NBC Sports) have locked up the local sports scene). I live in Philadelphia and I am a huge sports fan. In fact about the only TV I watch is sports. In Philadelphia (and I assume in other markets with the Comcast SportsNet brand), the games for hockey, baseball, basketball and soccer are mostly, if not entirely broadcast on the the local Comcast SportsNet channel. Local blackout rules for baseball, hockey and basketball (I have no idea about soccer) preclude streaming services from showing those games over the internet. I couldn't even watch the local games on MLB direct and the other services for basketball and hockey due to local blackout rules.

So now, if I want to get TV only through Apple and cut the cord so to speak, I lose Comcast SportsNet Philly. I then lose the only thing I watch on TV; sports.

I know that this is a bit selfish, but I don't think I'm alone in stating that sports are my main shows that I watch. Also, right now sports are a big moneymaker since advertisers know that they actually have eyeballs on the screen during live sports. Others may not care if they lose their sports, but I do and I know that Comcast is not going to give this up. So with that, while I'd love to leave Comcast, me and other sports fans are stuck with the cord (around our necks).

I am in the same boat as you in the Philly area :confused: ,But all our teams suck right now, yes so will the chip kellys so maybe cutting the cord is ok for now

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
so wait, $30-$40 a month for what I can get right now, for free, over the air, in HD, with an antenna? This does not sound appealing to me

So you get ESPN, ESPNews, ESPN2 and ESPNU for free with your antenna?

Multiverse223

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2015

That kinda sucks.

I predict TV 3rd generation owners will be able to play AirPlay'd content streamed from the new TV. Therefore, your 3rd generation TV can be used by another TV and you won't have to upgrade/purchase new for each TV.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I am in the same boat as you in the Philly area :confused: ,But all our teams suck right now, yes so will the chip kellys so maybe cutting the cord is ok for now

When pro sports leagues start to stream directly, the bottom will fall out of private television networks. Production costs are getting so cheap these days, you can contract out a TV production crew instead of hiring a network for the production crew and distribution.

Paulshaqz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
makes sense why apple tv price dropped to $30 bucks since we will see a new one by june no later until this fall?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Why would anyone pay $30-40 a month for content that is free via digital antenna. It is useless

1. Some offerings (ESPN for example) are not available through an antenna.
2. Antennas do not work well everywhere. I am within 10 miles of SF and cannot get two major networks with even a quality powered antenna.
3. Presumably this would include past episodes / on demand. I never watch live tv anymore - I watch when it's convenient. You can set up a dvr with an antenna, but then you're either paying a high up front cost or a monthly fee (TiVo) anyway.

I'm not saying this is by any means a perfect plan, but stop with the "it's the same as an antenna" stuff. It's not.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
so wait, $30-$40 a month for what I can get right now, for free, over the air, in HD, with an antenna? This does not sound appealing to me

In the US. Cable, no cable - either way you have options. Nothing to complain about.

There is nothing technology wise preventing this sort of service being provided worldwide simultaneously. Except greed and fear. *hmmmffff*:mad:

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
A Teachable Moment for the Telecommunications Industry

Agree. Eventually, production companies will stream direct and bypass these dinosaur private distribution networks.

"And that's why you should always listen to your customers..."

Comcast, DirecTV, etc., made a fortune on high cost, poor customer service, lack of choice, and bulk crap.

It's time to pay the piper for not listening to the customer, even though our calls were important to them. Every telecom-type company had better sit up straight and pay attention to this teachable moment.

Maybe Apple will do better; time will tell.

#Your Call Is Important To Us.

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
cut the cord all you want...cable companies will just increase the cost of your internet connection / decrease your data cap.

Agree. Eventually, production companies will stream direct and bypass these dinosaur private distribution networks.

Just out of curiosity...how will you be getting this content directly from them without the infrastructure from telcos and cable companies?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.