Apple Plans to Close Stores in Eastern District of Texas in Fight Against Patent Trolls [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 22, 2019.

1. cocky jeremy macrumors 601

cocky jeremy

Keeping yourself from an obvious disadvantage in court cases is dumb, how?

2. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68040

NovemberWhiskey

Um, no. You missed the part about acquiring/creating for the EXPLICIT purpose of extracting money damages in a patent suit.

And yes, Apple could be considered a troll by its traditional definition if it did so.

People need to stop equivocating the traditional technical definition of a "patent troll" with morality. It's not: "troll bad, Apple good".

Large companies can troll, just like small entities, universities, etc.

3. AppleZilla macrumors regular

Agreed. Or give them back to Mexico.

4. genovelle macrumors 6502a

It’s the bias of these courts against Apple and other similar companies that doesn’t exist anywhere. The question to ask is why would a company from the east cost file in a very specific district in Texas?

5. LordVic macrumors 603

I dunno. Same reason Apple and Rockstar did in east texas against google back in 2014.

favourable courts to patent holders.

6. rek89 macrumors member

Wait, what? It always seems to be pretty packed and busy when I go there.

7. terryzx macrumors regular

terryzx

--- Post Merged, Feb 22, 2019 ---
    What's to stop the troll from also moving too?

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Well, you had to put your own personal spin on this. If they were violating patents, moving court wouldn't help, because _every_ court would order them to pay if they were found violating patents. So it's obvious to anyone except you that Apple does this to avoid a total biassed and troll-friendly court, and wants a regular court with a fair and unbiassed judge.
    They are welcome to move and sue in another court, run by a not so troll-friendly judge.

9. rek89 macrumors member

Ha, good one. Funny for people to tell jokes.

10. genovelle macrumors 6502a

How exactly does Google fit the mold for having a physical presence in the district?

11. NickName99 macrumors 6502

NickName99

This is brilliant, Apple should have done this sooner. 10/10

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

And why does every Apple hater on this board complain about Apple's move?

13. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68040

NovemberWhiskey

You are trying to make "trolls" a bad thing, and trying to mix morality into the mix. That's not what patent trolling is about.

It has nothing to do with low value/high value. It is simply acquiring Ip for the explicit purpose of extracting money through a patent infringement suit / trying to license the patent without having any intention of using the technology in the patent.

That's it. Apple can troll, the pope can troll, anyone can troll. It has nothing to do with whether the people behind the trolling are good or bad, or whether you like them or not.

Also, you seem to give research universities way more credit than they deserve on the morality front. They will troll without hesitation if the ROI was there.

14. rek89 macrumors member

Not sure if you're aware, but... we don't vote for federal judges...

15. nexusrule macrumors 6502

Can you list all those patent cases won against them? And then reflect by yourself on how many they actually are considered any apple product feature hundreds and hundreds of patents of technologies and technique and features? I bet you can just come up with an handful of cases anyway. Beware of exaggerating to win a point, it usually has exactly the opposite effect. If you really want to believe something that's not true, the best bet is to keep it for yourself.

16. rek89 macrumors member

Or, you know, we don't vote for the judges or decide where they are located?

17. Breaking Good macrumors 65816

This is excellent news. With any luck, this will embolden other companies to follow suit.

18. NovemberWhiskey, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019

NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68040

NovemberWhiskey

I don't think you understand. The Eastern District Ct is favorable for patent plaintiffs. The trolls want to be in there. They want to bring suits there. For them to bring a suit there, Apple must be there. Apple is taking that venue out of the mix, which favors Apple in defending suits because they will be brought elsewhere, in less favorable venues.

It all just goes to show how ridiculously biased the judicial system is. Everything you were taught as a kid about justice being blind is nonsense. It's about race, religion, politics, sex, etc.

This is why we had that huge presidential fight over Kavanaugh.
    Stop, please. There are legitimate patent lawsuits. Even against companies you love, like Apple.

To clarify, since people don't understand: THIS IS NOT JUST ABOUT PATENT TROLLS. THIS INVOLVES ANY AND ALL PATENT INFRINGEMENT CLAIMS AGAINST APPLE.

Apple made a strategical move (which other companies are very likely to make as well) to make winning a patent infringement suit harder by removing a favorable venue. As Apple, I can't really criticize the move. I would do so as well if I were in their position. But I am really curious what this is going to do to the eastern district of Tx. I can't see any large tech companies staying there that aren't incorporated there.

This is like when states make over-generalized limits on how much you can recover from a medical malpractice case: it's not just about the bad players, it affects all players including the people who legit suffered large damages.

I wish people would get over their biases, and the circle jerk over patents.

19. Person Man 2 macrumors newbie

No, we don't vote for federal judges. But we do vote for the people who appoint said federal judges...

20. LordVic macrumors 603

Beats the hell out of me. Ask Rockstar why they initialized the lawsuit in East Texas. My guess is the same reason everyone else does. Because they are Patent holder friendly and Rockstar was attempting to use this bias in their favour as well.

(Although IIRC, eventfully the courts asked the same question you did and eventually kicked the case out of East texas and forced it to California courts)

21. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502a

I do feel bad for the employees who work at those stores that are closing. I mean, Texas is a BIG state and to relocate or possibly much further travel to work.

22. Breaking Good, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019

Breaking Good macrumors 65816

Yes, it does. Because it makes the litigation unnecessarily expensive for the defendant.

And you are talking about final outcomes. There is a big difference in cost for a defendant between winning in summary judgement (which means no jury trial) and ultimately winning on appeal. Both final outcomes are a win like you say. But the cost is much higher for the defendant.

And do the statistics include cases which never make it to trial? Most patent trolls aren't interested in a lengthy trial. They just want money. They're happy to take a one-tenth of the money upfront instead of going to trial to get the full amount of damages they claim. They then use the money to sue other companies and the same process repeats.
    What do you mean? This is what has made this country great. You start a company to develop a technology into something feasible. Then when you've proven the technology is feasible, you sell it to another company who has the resources bring it to market.

23. jamezr macrumors G5

jamezr

I am not sure how closing stores in eastern Texas will stop patent trolls? The good people of that area do not write patent laws. People from that area that might serve on juries are told to enforce the laws that are already on the books and given a narrow scope in which to deliberate.
    This is just a symbolic move that will not affect the change it symbolizes.

24. Breaking Good macrumors 65816

Yes. Our system of justice sucks except when compared to every other system in existence in the world today.

First, I don't love Apple. I think I am highly critical of Apple when Apple deserves to be criticize. And Apple deserves a lot of criticism.

Second, I take it you've never been associated with an organization that has been wrongly sued for patent or copywright infringement.

These patent and copywright trolls are like ticks sucking value out of organizations while providing no value in return. I'm very happy to hear of Apple's move and I hope a lot of other companies will follow suit.

25. jarman92 macrumors 6502

That is literally a court's job lol. "Waste" taxpayer money to fix things that are broken for the benefit of litigants and other entities. The patent office should probably do their due diligence on these patents, but that's another discussion entirely.

If it were as simple as "show valid patent, win millions of dollars," then patent trolls could confidently file in any district in the country and be assured of victory. Obviously, that isn't how it works. Nearly every patent troll files in the Southern District of TX...why? Because there is something about this particular district that is attractive to them.