Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
This "next thing" from Apple frightens the hell out of me. As someone who cut his teeth on Apple products in 2005 when OSX looked professional, efficient, attractive, and uniquely Apple, I can only imagine things getting unnecessarily re-imagined to where the worst of iTunes 12's UI is combined with the worst of iOS app UI's like Bold headers, frameless white-out presentations, and cornfield-maze-navigation like iOS 11's podcast app.

Will Apple never learn that not everything has to be distilled down to all look alike across platforms or even across apps? Once they've engineered-out any uniqueness or customization towards the platform and everything looks alike (and all physical buttons and ports have been removed), then what will Apple turn its focus on?

This is not good news.

I am mac user from 1992, Powerbook 190 and you aint seen anything. But platform is doing just fine

Reactions: bwintx and fairuz

albebaubles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Sierra in view
That works well for limited function apps. Taking desktop apps with a broad function set will not translate easily to iOS. There are practical limitations to what is possible from a pure UI perspective. It is not feasible to take a feature-rich application like Excel and make all of the functionality available on a touch-centric device like an iPad... even a 12.9 iPad Pro.
Just curious -- are you a developer?

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
So iOS apps have to be adapted to the mac and Mac apps have to be adapted to iOS. So now we have two platforms both utilising touchscreen apps AND mouse and trackpad apps. Sure would be less work on MacOS front if Apple rejigged MacOS to be more touch screen friendly and brought out a touchscreen Mac/Laptop.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I like where you're going, if you're supporting having different platforms.

All raise your hands who would want your bathroom to look interchangeable with your kitchen and bedrooms.

It's asinine to not customize an app for the platform, where the ipad/iphone/touch interface is VASTLY different than the MacBook/mac/mouse/large-screen interface. I've said it for years now: A thicker more-powerful iPad that is separable from a MacBook keyboard/station and with the ability to switch between an iOS-centric and OS-centric interface at the touch of a button (preferably physical button) is the groundbreaking direction Apple should have headed years ago. Not all-size-fits-all iOS/OS, where Apple's track record for clumsy iOS simplification reinventions puts fear in all who moved their entire computer/entertainment world away from PCs.

Morphing apps is a terrible idea.

The issue with this idea is that it makes consumers feel like they can use one device instead of two, while decreasing the need for iCloud and custom Mac and iOS accessories. Right now we have three core devices to monitor for updates: iPad, iPhone, and Mac. As much as we make fun of their lack of intrest in the Mac It is still a key product and they do want us to buy new ones. They solved the issue with PC's not making much return by avoiding cutting edge components (except the iMac Pro which includes a 3x markup).

I have been half joking that with friends that our iPhone should be our computer and the iPad and Macbook/iMac/Display/Apple TV should all be smart devices we can use the iPhone with. Just like there is a custom UI for CarPlay, there would be a custom UI for each of these. We thought the iPhone would bring more attention the Mac, but the opposite occured. The iPhone is the key revenue for Apple, and everything else is an accessory for ecosystem. Universal Mac Apps support this idea. The problem with my idea is that while it makes it a lot easier to get into the Apple Ecosystem it isn't as sticky as having three $1000k+ devices in your home.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
But I mean, if they release UXKit for public use, I'd probably be all over it.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
First, and a big step towards merging iOS and MacOS.

Oh no. Dashboard was introduced with that goal, and I think the backlash was unexpected for Apple. But you are correct saying this is a big step. Bigger and bolder than Dashboard.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
That is game changing!

When Apple makes this work properly the Mac will instantly be the most attractive operating system for the average Joe.

The Mac App Store lacks a lot of things!

I want banking apps, a Netflix app with 4K support, all with automatic updates! That is a dream.

Indeed. This is probably the biggest news to come out of Apple since the announcement of the iPhone.

Very exciting times ahead if true (ARM based Macs?).

Massimo1926

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2017
This is good news for me as I hate the concept of paying twice for the same content. Take ZEN Pinball as an example, you can buy a table on iOS but the same will not be able on the MacOS app. You do need to buy the same table twice, and the price for the MacOS version is higher. Maybe that is justified based on different workload for different platform; the thing is, as I consumer I don't care, and Apple should do something to address this.

Queen6

macrumors G4
For who ? For consumer users ? I'm afraid that they forget that majority of MacOS users are "professionals" like developers, content creators etc. There isn't at least one useful app in appstore for me right now because sandboxing and many various technical reasons. Apps like Adobe, Office are distributed outside the appstore. Why the hell is launchpad still there ? It's useless, I'd like to meet the person who came with this stupid idea. Windows with UWP failed and they are doing the same mistake again ? Tim Cock will ruin the company once again.

Too late already, only 15% of Mac users are Professionals by Apple's own metrics, with Apple following the easy $$$$. As for professional users and the Mac, the reverse "Halo effect" is in full swing, best described as an exodus. Unless your locked into macOS there's little value in the platform currently...

Q-6

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
This is brilliant, I don’t think they should create 1 OS, but things like this will make things like handoff more seamless and hopefully be a big step for Mac games too as iOS games become more advanced.
And if in one fell swoop can give everyone with an iPad Pro Mac Apps, that’s a huge installed base to start with. Allowing a track pad to work with my 12.9” Pro would be awesome !

Reactions: harriska2

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Just curious -- are you a developer?
Hey Albe - I’m replying to you even though your conversation is with someone else. I aplogize. As a non-programmer I’m interested in learning the technical challenges of what apple is/isn’t trying to do. Like when I asked my husband “can you straighten out the roofline on the house” or “can you remodel the house and keep the mice out.” At the time I didn’t understand the logistical reasons. But when we demolished and started from a hole in the ground, I came to appreciate all the intricacies of home building including the fact that plumbing gets “roughed in” pretty darn early. So my challenge to you is keep on talking, some of us will learn from pros like you out there and it is very interesting. We appreciate the time take to explain stuff to us!

Reactions: albebaubles

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
Indeed. This is probably the biggest news to come out of Apple since the announcement of the iPhone.

Very exciting times ahead if true (ARM based Macs?).
I don't think they're going to remove the ability to run Windows anytime soon. A lot of people use that feature.

Codybby1

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
Is this a hint at touch screen Mac OS? Perhaps a 2 in 1 surface type device in the works and this will ease the transition.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
I knew it would only be a matter of time before Tim Cook started leading Apple towards one operating system and this is the beginning of the change. And I’m not sure I will like what the future will bring...

If done correctly this could be really good for the Mac. But, yeah, judging from everything Cook has done to Mac so far (pure neglect and dumbing down) - I'm truly worried.

zarmanto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2014
Around the corner from the 7/11
A prerequisite being a shiny new ARM based Mac?
Nope. Apple has gone down roads very much parallel to this, several times before: the resulting App bundles will be what they like to call "universal binaries." That is to say, the prereq will almost certainly be that the developer updates their copy of Xcode, makes a few minimal changes to the project configuration and recompiles. Done. (Basically.)

Reactions: bwintx
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.