apple,Please move sleep button on iphone8

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fourthtunz, Dec 15, 2016.

1. fourthtunz macrumors 6502a

fourthtunz

How many times have you tried to take a picture using the volume button or tried to turn the volume
    down and put your phone to sleep?
    APPLE< please move the sleep button.
    Thank you!

2. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

3. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I don't understand how it is possible to confuse the location of the volume and power buttons, they're on different sides of the phone.

4. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

It has to do with how you tend to grip the phone when using these buttons.

5. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Forgive me, but I don't feel that is a problem for Apple to resolve. Perhaps this wouldn't be a problem if the user would pay closer attention to the orientation of the device?

6. noobinator macrumors 601

Not once in owning nearly every iPhone variant ever made.

7. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Perhaps, but many changes have been made to devices for the sake of ergonomics.

8. jetsam macrumors 6502

OP, I assume you've just upgraded from a 5S or earlier.

I had the same problem as you when I went from my iPhone 5 to a 6 Plus. After a day or two, I got used to the new configuration.

9. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

never happened to me. had phones from way back 3- sure it takes a couple of days to get used to a new phone but never needed the buttons to be moved

10. fourthtunz, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016

fourthtunz thread starter macrumors 6502a

fourthtunz

If I remember right the original,the 3gs and the 4s that I had had the sleep button on the top?
    I've had the Iphone 6 since oct 2014 and wished since it came out that the sleep button was not
    directly across from the volume buttons for taking pictures.
    I guess it's just me, I have smaller hands and to get the required amount of pressure to
    take the picture its easier with the thumb across from the button.
    And of course it usually happens when you're trying to get a picture in a hurry.
    Im just asking them to put it back on the top where it started! :)
    Then again this in my opinion, you may not care but I don't care
    about the camera bump, iPhone colour, bezels etc.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 15, 2016 ---
    Because on most of the previous iPhones the power button was on top.

11. Breezygirl macrumors 6502

Breezygirl

Agree, prefer it on the top.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

It was on top because the phones were smaller and using the button with one hand was something that was still doable, once they got large enough starting with iPhone 6 reaching the top wasn't as convenient, so having the button on the side made more sense as far as (one-handed) reachability/usability goes.

13. fourthtunz thread starter macrumors 6502a

fourthtunz

I guess I always use two hands to put the phone to sleep anyway?

14. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

They should leave the power button where it is but move the volume buttons to the other side. If all the buttons were on the same side, you wouldn't ever have the problem of pressing two buttons at once when you squeeze.

15. fourthtunz thread starter macrumors 6502a

fourthtunz

Winner Winner chicken dinner! Good Idea!! why didn't Apple think of that?!!
    I think some people think Im confused or don't know how to operate my phone!
    I know where the buttons are in the dark, its just a grip thing!
    Peace!

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

You wouldn't really have that particular problem, but you could have other problems, like accidentally pressing volume buttons based on how you normally hold the phone, or using the lock/sleep button and still also accidentally pressing one of the volume buttons based on how you hold your thumb.

17. fourthtunz thread starter macrumors 6502a

fourthtunz

That could happen but it still would be better than across from the volume buttons.
    On top or on the same side, at the bottom would work.

18. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

That's how the Moto X is and it's also convenient to be able to change the volume with my right thumb.

[​IMG]

I have a Moto X Pure Edition/Style and I've never had issues with the button layout. But, like OP, I have accidentally turned my iPhone and Galaxy S7 Edge off while trying to change the volume.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

That would depend on the individual, for some it might be better, for others it might not be, kind of like how it is now where for some it's not better, while for others it's just fine.
    Well, similarly, many people don't have any issues with the way iPhone has had it designed since iPhone 6, while some people do. It doesn't seem like there's one solution that will necessarily work for everyone, and it's somewhat hard to say which one is really better as far as working for most since most probably can adapt to either one without much issue.

20. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

The power button used to be on top (I loved the 4s), I believe it was moved to the side on the 6. We also have to think about the internals and fitting everything into the ridiculous "thinnest phone" craze.

21. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Some won't have an issue no matter where Apple puts it. But if one way works better than the other, it's worth considering.

I'm sure it is the way it is because the volume buttons have been on that side for 10 years.

22. nia820, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016

nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

This is a personal problem and not an Apple problem.

Power button is on the side due to the size of the phone. When iPhones were 3.5 and 4.0 inches, it was easy to have the button on top. But now the iPhone is 4.7 and 5.5 inches it is easier to reach if its on the side.

23. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

If the iPhone 8 is comparable in size to the 6/6s/7, the power button should absolutely NOT be on the top. There's a reason why they moved it. Reaching to the top with your index finger is not comfortable in a natural grip on a device that size.

24. Givmeabrek, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016

Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Opposite problem. Every time I put it to sleep I change the volume. :(

25. fourthtunz thread starter macrumors 6502a

fourthtunz

Id rather have it on top, or hell if they just moved it down the phone 1/4 of an inch?
    I rather use two hands to sleep it, and normally do than to be sleeping it when I'm trying to take a picture or
    turn the volume up or down.
    I think it also depends how many pictures you take and whether they are planned or not?
    I don't know how many people I run into that still do not know you can use the volume buttons for
    the shutter.
    I grabbed my phone to take a pic of a cardinal in a tree outside my window this morning, and I've been trying to
    get to the window before he moves..I think he know his picture is being taken! Anyhow I got to the window
    and snapped the pic, or rather slept the phone and then the bird moved!