Apple Plummets to Lowest Ranking Ever in Glassdoor's Annual List of Best Places to Work

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2017 at 6:16 AM.

1. melendezest macrumors 68000

melendezest

No, disappointment is an increasing number of users in forums such as these voicing their "hate" (as you put it) for the company because Apple has changed and no longer provides products that meet their needs.

2. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

I’ve read disappointment that isn’t hate. Look at any beta software thread or look up “home button lag”. I don’t see how anyone can call “Signs of a sinking ship “ and “fire Tim Cook” as simply disappointment. I think you’re assuming I think all negative things in this thread are hate.

I don’t.

I think pointless doomsaying is hate.

3. 25ghosts macrumors regular

With the pace Apple Execs has set forth - I imagine that the workforce has to step over their physical boundaries every day. What used to be an art of making wonderful software has become conveyer belt code where the only difference between it and Foxconn may be the monthly salary and California !

4. ssgbryan macrumors 6502a

ssgbryan

That has been my experience over the past 35+ years.

5. technole macrumors member

technole

Google always had free meals, laundry, and other in-house services to keep you in the office.

Free meals is a work-integration perk, as you can't take the food home with you. But if you want to eat dinner at Googleplex, you can do so. You might spark some creativity during those later hours.

6. AgentAnonymous, Dec 8, 2017 at 12:44 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2017 at 4:29 AM

AgentAnonymous macrumors member

AgentAnonymous

Most of Apple employees work in retail stores.

7. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

There’s a reason why Apple software was so highly rated and progressing fast 10-15 years ago. No social media or gambling distractions. Developers were super focused. This resulted in happier team leaders and greater satisfaction all round at work.

These days things have changed. It’s a Silicon Valley dirty secret that employees and start ups have become bigger and bigger time wasters over the last 5 years. Social media is distracting developers from doing their jobs properly.

You give a million dollars to a start up and instead of doing what was promised, tech bros gamble on crypto currencies and rent fast cars to impress even faster girls they pick up on Facebook. Many full time employees caught on to these habits and are doing the same thing. They spend more time checking Instagram or Blockfolio than they do checking for bugs.

The spate of super obvious bugs that have plagued Sierra and High Sierra could have been prevented if people were focused. It’s creating a lot of tension in certain companies where there are expectations to live up to very high standards. When those standards can’t be met because of the problems above, board members get angry at team leaders, who get angry at developers, who don’t want to confess to their time wasting habits, so they blame management and use Glassdoor reviews to get revenge out of spite.

If you look at the companies that are doing better on that Glassdoor list, it’s those who don’t have very high standards. Some of them are the same social media companies who are making things worse for everyone else - not just in tech but as we have seen in recent times they also hurt politics and the wider society.

The solution is obvious. Focus more. They should also stop seeding public betas because it is obviously not working and making the in-house teams slightly reliant on the public, who are clearly not finding crucial bugs prior to gold master releases.

8. AgentAnonymous, Dec 8, 2017 at 12:49 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2017 at 4:30 AM

AgentAnonymous macrumors member

AgentAnonymous

Apple is at the best and strongest point it's ever been in sales, growth, and otherwise. When Jobs was CEO the idea of buying a Mac was a complete joke. The PC market enjoyed 20 years of total Windows domination under Jobs. Nobody cared about Macs after the 80s ended, and up until 2012ish.

9. fmalloy macrumors 6502

They can't tell you that anyway.

10. melendezest macrumors 68000

melendezest

I think that we're getting into a somewhat semantical discussion about what constitutes "hate".

My point is that hate (or more accurately, anger) is rooted in disappointment, which itself is rooted in expectation.

So I'll amend my original statement to say this:

The reason for the Apple hate in an Apple forum is disappointment, probably due to the direction that Tim Cook has taken Apple:

Unnecessary (see ridiculous cash hoard) crippling of all their devices for the sake of "simplification", which in real Apple terms means "operational efficiency" (i.e. easy and cheap to build, sold at expensive prices), AT THE EXPENSE of features users came to rely on.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 8, 2017 at 10:03 AM ---
    Are you serious??

Let's not give all credit to the guy who merely took over after being handed the keys to one of the most profitable kingdoms. It was Steve Jobs that turned Apple around and transformed it into what it is (or was in 2011).

Tim has been able to simply maintain Apple's financial trajectory. The rocket was already in the air and well on it's way when the guy responsible for it's launch had to hand over the steering wheel.

11. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

Maybe they have a child who could answer via video? :apple:

12. fmalloy, Dec 8, 2017 at 10:08 AM
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 10:15 AM

fmalloy macrumors 6502

NO.

As a matter of fact, I know a few people in software and hardware development at Google and they seemed to work 9-5, no weekends, and lots of time off. One of them got in early enough that he quit for a few years, then went back to Google "for fun". Work is now a hobby.

13. T-R-S macrumors regular

T-R-S

My wife works @ Apple and yes it's not a great environment. If you are under 35 with a Masters Degree they provide better opportunities. Apple (and all of Silicon Valley) discriminates against older more experienced workers.

14. fmalloy macrumors 6502

While gender and racial discrimination and diversity are being addressed head-on by the tech community, age discrimination continues to run rampant and unchecked.

15. KingslayerG5 macrumors 65816

KingslayerG5

Working for the company and liking the company are two different things to many.

I find it odd you have to pay for your coffee at Apple. I worked for Accenture and coffee was FREE on every floor. Give me free food from the Googleplex any day of the week over $2 t-shirt as Christmas gifts from Apple. I think the one that should offer free coffee to their employees (child slavery) is Foxconn.

It's been known Steve Jobs and Scott Forstall rubbed people the wrong way at Apple. Work environment was toxic back then. Reminds me of the late-Hiroshi Yamauchi who ruled Nintendo like a dictator. Probably not as bad as Suge Knight controlling Deathrow Records and Dr. Dre watching sound engineers getting beaten up.

Third world problems become first world problems become third world problems again. Not that China is really a third world but Apple will soon count on India to make components since labor should be even cheaper.

Step 1 - Third world child slavery

Step 2 - Faulty devices because these people work 6 days a week and 10 hr shifts while United States still gets it the cheapest.

Step 3 - Gets dumped to third world countries like Ghana to be recycled as copper. E-waste is bad.

This is how a trillion dollar company became that way. Planned obsolescence because profit margins matters more than people that help design or make them.

16. 1 iron macrumors newbie

1 iron

17. iDiots macrumors newbie

iDiots

yea, corporate gets treated way better than the retail. It's so sad how they treat us compared to corporate. We take lots of abuse from so many customers at low pay and crappy hours, pay will vary from person to person based on favoritism. Don't believe me ask anyAapple retail employee

18. I7guy macrumors G5

You hit the nail on the head with your excellent, topical analysis. Sheesh.

If Apple is doing those things and they are on our radar, I can’t imagine what worse things other companies might be doing.

Or probably much hyperbole.

19. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I'm sure low turnover saves you a lot of money, we should say that turnover is a cost for a company.
    The only companies with high turnover that don't really have problems with it are the one who "sell" most of their employees as consultants to other big companies, the younger your employee is, the more you can squeeze, since he has a lower salary. When he goes away you lost pretty nothing, you're customer is going to train a new one.
    I've worked for such companies and I'm glad I'm back to a smaller company were I'm more valuable as an individual, not just a number on a spreadsheet with my name on a column and billed hours on the next one.

To me the most important thing now would be the ability to work from home once or twice a week, and being paid by my achievements, not on an hourly basis. Perks like free beverage and snacks means little to me, some companies offer free dinners with the team or even allow the team to move to another location for summer (near to the beach etc.).
    That can be good for team building and for young people, but I think as time goes by you have many more developers in their 40's, with a family not willing to relocate or to spend their free time with colleagues.
    The happier employee is the one with a short commute and more time to spend with his family or for his hobbies. That's why I think the most important thing is flexibility, and some sort of remote working.
    Since you own a company what are your thoughts about that?