Apple Plummets to Lowest Ranking Ever in Glassdoor's Annual List of Best Places to Work

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2017.

1. r03dz macrumors member

USED to be the fact is correct. We're all being merged into more open concept spaces, which I much rather prefer. They're definitely a different company now.

2. dotnet macrumors 65816

dotnet

Pfft, facts. Keep them to yourself and stop swimming against the narrative. Did you not read the topic? "Apple plummets"! That should have given you the idea. Tim Cook is bad, m'kay? Try to remember that.

One thing is for sure, though, Apple has the biggest glass doors in the world.

3. MoreAwesomeDanU macrumors regular

MoreAwesomeDanU

Haha, i work in silicon valley and have been employed by a few companies you see on that list, and have friends that work at apple.

I guarantee you what you saw at apple is not the standard "work culture" of silicon valley. Try visiting facebook where its basically disneyland but everything's free. It's in fact pretty mind boggling how the world's richest company treats their employees. You will find something similar at amazon, where when i interviewed the recruiter bragged about a basic water filter system they recently equipped the kitchen with... Wonder what the employees had to drink from before!

4. skys15 macrumors member

skys15

Haha the LDS church ranked 19th! I looked up the whole list, so sad that is that far down the list.

5. ssgbryan macrumors 6502a

ssgbryan

No, you don't. It is going away for a reason.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2017 ---
    No, it doesn't.

Introverts also process sensory motion differently (they respond much more to it). Open office plans mean constant background movement that will constantly break up an introvert's train of thought.

6. pers0n macrumors newbie

It’s called driving a car and not being pulled over for being Non-white

It’s also getting hired for jobs in preference of others or getting more views and reach outs on linked in

It’s also getting lighter sentences or being let go when otherwise you get the book thrown at you

White privilege is not really noticeable, that’s the thing you willl never notice it, but it’s there, if you were black or another brown minority for a week you’d see it everyday

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Let's just assume Your anecdotal experience is broad stroked and is not contrary evidence to everybody else's usage.

Siri, has its disadvantages, but in terms of actually being built into the iPhone and how it corresponds, it's fairly good. Where Siri struggles is deciphering and her algorithms are not as good as Google voices. But Siri does not "Suck" just because it doesn't work for you in the way you use it. For the record, Siri is server based, not IOS embedded.

Apple Maps. From where first started to where it is today, is a monumental movement. I use Apple Maps more than I ever have before even over Google maps. Which Google maps is great, but Apple Maps has drastically improved over the last three years. And from somebody that has experience with multiple map applications, Apple Maps has been impressive in the user interface as well.

8. itguy06, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

itguy06 macrumors 6502a

Really? Cause I've been pulled over at gunpoint for being suspected of being in a stolen car. I've also been pulled over for driving a POS in a nice neighborhood. Friends of all races have been hassled because they were being typical teenagers - long hair, ripped jeans, earrings, combat boots, etc.

It's not just being a certain race, it's about looking out of the norm - long hair, grungy clothes, crap cars, etc.

And I'm sure low class whites feel the same pain. It's not a skin color thing but rather an out of the norm thing.

But then again I'm not looking to feel "guilty" about anything. Rather than buying into the divisive narrative if people would just treat people the way they like to be treated this nonsense would all go away.

9. jerryk macrumors 68040

That's a shame. A personal office was one of the things that attracted me to MS. I have always ensured all my developers had their own offices, or at worse shared with one person, for the same reasons.

10. melendezest Suspended

Open office concepts are the "headphone jack removal" of office design, IMHO.

Deal-breaker if I can help it, but can live with it if forced to.

11. Radon87000 macrumors 604

Working hours at Apple are too stressful. I have heard 15 hours of work is considered normal and you have to respond to emails and show up for fixing bugs in the middle of the night. No amount of money could compel me into working there.

12. jerryk macrumors 68040

Pretty standard at many places in the Valley. You earn every penny of that $5 Million in options. But, at 28 or so you can walk away with a lot of beer money.

13. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

A slow leak that is not noticed until the hull is inundated, and down it goes. You can see it in the marketplace. Apple has become blah except to a small core of super-fans. And even that small number of super-fans is decreasing. Apple is just too far behind others in innovation and implementation, and too many of their ideas and initiatives are not panning out. Cook is overwhelmed. Once Ive goes, that will be it.

I don't say this because I dislike Apple. I have been a huge fan for years. But I choose not to wear blinders.

14. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

The sheer amount of hate for Apple in a forum called MacRumors continues to baffle me.

15. Archer1440 Suspended

Archer1440

It seems to me that every one of my company's customers who I visit in Japan have open workspaces, literally elbow to elbow, like this:

[​IMG]

Miserable and messy looking.

16. melendezest Suspended

Instead of hate I see it's more like, disappointment.

Especially since the forum name is now a misnomer.

Apple's trans(formation) status has rubbed some people, myself included, the wrong way.

17. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Disappointment isn’t several people saying that Apple is going downhill based on some irrelevant site.

18. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Repost that please please.

19. indychris macrumors 6502

indychris

I just love it when people on a forum act like they know the motivations of people through one post. [​IMG]

20. melendezest Suspended

I don't think the ship will ever sink. Those super fans will pay anything to keep the (iOS) boat afloat.

Cook is really clever at positioning the company in a great financial position, and iOS is his way to do that.

Conversely, Steve Jobs was a product guy who wasn't afraid to ROCK the boat like Tim is.

The Mac ship is EOL. In the end, iOS will be the only OS at Apple.

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    GlassDoors isn't some irrelevant site. Lots of people use it to figure out if a company is worth working for, what its culture is like, and IIRC, even salary info that employees have anonymously entered.

Years back I was offered a job at one company, but after reading lots of examples in GlassDoor about internal managerial conflicts, decided against it.

22. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

It’s irrelevant as an indicator of the overall health of the company, which some here are using it for. Maybe it’s relevant for some reasons. But the number of times I’ve read doom in this thread is ridiculous.

23. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Ah, I see. Agreed with respect to Apple.

OTOH, if it's about a much smaller company and all the anonymous comments are about how it's about to die, well... :D

24. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

I don’t put much faith in anonymous comments, regardless of how big or small the company is. :p

25. TonyRS, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

TonyRS macrumors newbie

TonyRS

It's a mindset that comes from Apple executives to cut costs wherever necessary which makes Apple an exceptionally profitable company. Also, there is the notion at Apple that if you work there it's because you adore Apple, not because you are looking for a great place to work. That is why people stay at Apple and get overworked, because they feel it is a 'cause' worth promoting. Apple's marketing magic not only works outside the company, but inside as well. It looks like Apple needs to step up its gam,e as the magic seems to be fading. Just giving every employee two free cups of coffee per day will result in a loss of $11.6M per year (using $0.25 per cup), or a 0.02% loss of net income. In an absolute sense, that's a lot of money. In a relative sense, it's pennies, but pennies add up. On the other hand, how much would productivity and moral increase with free coffee, among other "freebies." That's for shareholders/executives to figure out.