Apple Plummets to Lowest Ranking Ever in Glassdoor's Annual List of Best Places to Work

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2017.

1. L-Viz macrumors regular

L-Viz

2. jerryk macrumors 68040

I worked at one of the other big tech companies for a decade or so. One of the managers mentioned that has wife really liked the beach house they bought. Turns out she left him, and moved to the beach house. He did not know she left because he was at work all the time.

Another time I said good night to a friend of mine. I had been there since 5 AM and it was 10 PM, he was spreading out his sleeping bag to get a few Zs. He spent 6 days not leaving the campus because we had to meet a deadline.

3. lazard macrumors 68000

In N Out treats their employees better than Apple

4. jerryk macrumors 68040

Different cultures. At one point Pixar had most of the bathrooms in the main building. The idea was that people would run into each other and share ideas rather than get siloed in there specialties

On the other end of spectrum, Microsoft used to tout the fact that everyone got an office, with a DOOR! And I mean everyone. Even a lowly admin right out of school. They felt it let people concentrate and more importantly take ownership of their own space since they could decorate however they wanted. Also their snack rooms looked like a mini mart with no paying. Want 20 mars bars, go for it. Need 5 jolts for the afternoon, have at it. And then there are the classic video game rooms...

5. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

Working at McDonald's is better than working for Foxconn.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

Almost certainly Apple's ranking was brought down by employees working at retail stores. It would be interesting to see where Apple would stand if their corporate and engineering people could be counted as a different company from Apple Retail.

My bet is that Apple-retail would sink to the bottom of the list while the Apple-Developers would shoot upwards

7. kwikdeth macrumors 6502a

ive known two people who have gone to work for Apple in the last year... one in security and one in DC ops. let me tell you, if those are the kinds of people Apple is hiring... then there is nothing surprising about the many, many missteps this company has been making.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2017 ---
    They didnt get to be the most valuable company in the world by being generous to their employees. just the stockholders.

8. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

Are you sure about that?

I would drive around to do Google Maps' Street View just for a chance to work for Google.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Exactly!

10. fromgophonetoiphone, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017

fromgophonetoiphone macrumors newbie

Eh, even if your experience is in Cupertino, the experience varies vastly depending on the team you're on. I've heard vastly different experiences from the various friends who have done their time there.

PC culture is strong in most of the Bay Area, but keep in mind the general progressive nature of the Bay Area. I'm pretty sure 95% of the commenters here have no clue about working in the Silicon Valley.

• Open offices/desks are frowned upon by some, but when you step foot in Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. that's how it is everywhere. For every dissatisfied employee, there's someone who likes it. It's just a general trend
    • We all remember Tim's email after the election. It was far lighter of a tone than some of the messages that came from other CEOs. I highly doubt there are many Trump supporters in the Bay Area, but I'm pretty sure if they had a problem with Apple's PC culture, they probably would struggle at any other Bay Area company.
    • Having over a dozen friends who have done their time at Apple, almost all of them comment that it's the work life balance and culture that got them to jump ship, and the joke is that when Apple employees leave to move on, most of them move on to Google.

I completely agree with you Retail is totally different than Corporate, but keep in mind Glassdoor is a mix of both.

Edit: As for the food aspect, most traditional companies like Apple do not offer free food. Someone commented that coffee costs money but that's absolutely not true. The standard Apple Coffee maker grinds your beans and brews a fresh cup of coffee for you. That's better than 99% of corporate America where you drink out of a breakroom thermos where you brew from the hundreds of bags of Starbucks Pike Place stored in a cabinet below. I've worked at Fortune 100 and 500 companies before and honestly most of them do not give you free food, not to mention most food is subpar compared to that of Apple.

11. I7guy macrumors P6

Absolutely, think ibm and hp. Both companies have financial results
    Commensurate of where the companies are. Now what are Apples’ financials results?

12. Cloudkicker macrumors 6502

Cloudkicker

Quiet. Nice place to curl up with a good book. I recommend War & Peace in size.

13. itguy06 macrumors 6502a

Can you let me know where this "white privilege" is handed out? I need to get some.

14. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

not a factor in this ranking. well not in any kind of quantitative way. I suppose that it might factor into someone's negative comments that they choose to leave. because that's what its all about -- comments left by allegedly employees. but its a basic fact that people are more inclined to bitch than to praise so any comment based ranking tends to be bias. and that's true about bosses, restaurants, movies etc.

15. chatin macrumors 6502a

chatin

Apple has the biggest glass door in the biz yet it's ranked below burger joints. Partly to blame is Apple's culture of product over people. If a team like maps had a problem they go on "lock-down" until it is solved. Marketing then features competitor's map product alternatives in the App store while these poor saps are locked down.

16. ccachor macrumors newbie

How much of these reviews are from Apple Retail employees? If this does not take into account retail employees this doesn't reflect well on Cook.

17. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

You have to start by getting rid of the board - the problem starts there...

18. I7guy macrumors P6

People that flip burgers for a living may genuinely be happier than other types of employees.

19. sjn419 macrumors 6502

20. MrkJensen macrumors newbie

I have my own company and our policy is that the employees are very important to us, as without them we would not exist!! Of course there is free beverage, snacks, fruits etc. all day long, and if we have to work overtime we order food etc.

This is not about being a wealthy company or not. It is simply about caring about the people works in the company and makes it to what it is. I see the head turnover is very low with us, in fact rare people leaves (here we save a lot of money) and people really care about what we do. People work with the newest and best tools. (If they want a Mac they get a Mac and if they want a PC they get a PC, we adapt to peoples prefences, as well as whatever phone they want and we change every every 2-3 years so we are current) People chose their tools, with in a framework, and they deliver in their work.

Yes we also have a nice environment, not open unproductive offices, as you can't expect people to deliver a golden performance when they sit in a sh**ty environment.

I work in the office everyday and I want to be in a nice environment and see happy and productive people around me. We are a lifestyle company and the work style we have reflect our lifestyle. I do not live in a sh**hole so why would in work in one? I know many companies and executives believes it is only the c-suites there shall be nice and the executives are the only one who get things. The "rest" need to "earn" it before you get it. (The Us and Them culture). That is why we easy attract very smart people from big companies once they experience the miserable life you often have in a big company.

I do not believe the work culture in the US have to be a sweat shop. I've worked in Swedish companies like IKEA and it is not about which country you operate in it is about how you value the people who works in the company -nothing else.

I would never work in a company like Apple, have a friend who worked in Apple until recently and he actually moved to Foxconn (here in the US) and he says he would never go back to Apple.

21. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Can't comment on working there. However, when I visit my family in CA I spend way too much time eating at In N Out Burger. Especially the one right on 25R at LAX. Could stay there for hours. ;)

22. Deuce on the Clock macrumors regular

Deuce on the Clock

Where is there an Apple Campus in SF? Never heard of it. I worked for Apple for 14 years. Cafe Mac did have free coffee there at all the campuses I worked at in Cupertino. They also had free fruit as well available.
    As far as the equipment, the manager in charge of the dept. puts in requests to upgrade them. Phones are often given out and are usually last generation.

23. jdsingle macrumors regular

I've worked at a top 5 tech firm for two years, and I haven't heard anyone bring this up as an issue. This is obviously anecdotal, but I can't wrap my head around why people have such issues with this. Noise-canceling headphones all but eliminate any potential problems.

24. djlythium macrumors 6502a

djlythium

The underlying principle is control. If the emp0loye
    I think they're manipulative. I've heard from insiders how they create a culture of friendly interactiveness that is cult-like.

That said, my OP wasn't about this relationship. It was about how society has changed. A great many of us, clearly, find happiness working for a company, despite their creepy profit motive. Watch The Circle.

25. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

Disneyland is the happiest place on Earth..to visit. Not the happiest place to work at. That's how Apple is to me. If you're a consumer, it's fine. If you're a employee, different story.

If Steve Jobs used to rule Apple with an iron fist, had Forstall and Ive butting heads all the time that they couldn't even be in the same room together, how is this surprising? Draconian way to their users where they limit choice, what makes you think Apple would be Top 5 to work for?

This is really a non-story for clickbait and mindless discussion. The banner ads are there for us to see and keep this forum running. Apple doesn't even care about the Chinese slaves that work for Foxconn. Why would they care about their employees?

Steve Jobs never really treated his employees kindly. His Syrian blood from his biological father was enough to terrify them.