MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As is typical for Apple product launch events, the company has posted a video giving a behind-the-scenes look at the development and manufacturing of the iPhone 5. Both Jony Ive and Bob Mansfield make appearances.

By making the screen taller but not wider, you can see more of your content but still comfortably use it with one hand. And yet, even with the larger display, iPhone 5 is the thinnest, lightest iPhone we've ever built.

Article Link: Apple Posts iPhone 5 Promotional Video

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
Did anyone understand what they meant by they choose one part out of 725? Does that mean for every iPhone made, 724 parts were thrown away?

Comment

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Wow Jony really looks tanned. Probably just came from a vacation this morning. It shows how much work actually went in designing the iPhone 5. :D

Comment

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Switchfoot!

Finally made the background music of an Apple vid.
(Always from Hello Hurricane)

Comment

grimmace

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
Boston
Thunderbolts and Lightning, very very frightening, ME!

Galileo! Easy come, easy go...to your money.

Comment

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
Did anyone understand what they meant by they choose one part out of 725? Does that mean for every iPhone made, 724 parts were thrown away?

No, most likely 1 of 725 fits the best for that particular frame. The need for so many variables must mean that they all get used and none are wasted. They just find the best fit from the sampling of what they have. There is still a margin for error in the fit. They just work within that tolerance to choose the best match.

Comment

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Or to put it another way. We cannot hold tolerances tight enough in our manufacturing process, so we rummage around and find two parts that fit together.

Comment

jameslikeness

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2007
TC0Cz.jpg

Comment

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
Great video, but did anyone notice the tiny scratches on the chrome Apple logo?

Seems a little odd for apple...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-12 at 20.25.29.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-12 at 20.25.29.png
    689.2 KB · Views: 1,218
Comment

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
Or to put it another way. We cannot hold tolerances tight enough in our manufacturing process, so we rummage around and find two parts that fit together.
They said the iPhone 5 are identical to a few microns because of this process. Do you know how accurate a micron is? This measurement is often used on scientific or medical instruments. I am sure there are other smartphones out there that are identical to a few MILLIMETRES (1000 microns). The iPhone 5 has a tolerance of just 7 microns.

This is by far the most precise piece of electronics Apple has ever built.

Comment

Mahler12x

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
California
Download the video?

Anyone know how to rip this video to a file? Video Download Helper in Firefox won't do it and I can't get it via Shift+Cmd+A in Safari anymore.

Comment

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

You ever work with CNC machines before? There are always differences from part to part.

Nothing wrong with "hand fitting" to find the cleanest mating of surfaces. The consumers will certainly appreciate it.

Comment

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
Who ever takes pictures of these devices (on their website) do know how to make you wanna click that "buy now" button, damn!!:cool:

Comment

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
That's why sometimes being part of a rumor site sucks. Apple is having a hard time keeping things under wrap on the iPhone 5.
So most people already had an idea what to expect.
I for one like that Apple did not departure entirely from the previous iPhone.
This is a better one and while the upgrade is incremental still a better phone than a Samsung that I recently use it to test.
No way, Apple still commanding the best smartphone out there couple with the best OS.

Comment

WickedMessenger

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
UK
iPhone 5 video?

The part being machined is iPod Touch.

[correction]
Oops! No it isn't.

Last edited:
Comment

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
They said the iPhone 5 are identical to a few microns because of this process. Do you know how accurate a micron is? This measurement is often used on scientific or medical instruments. I am sure there are other smartphones out there that are identical to a few MILLIMETRES (1000 microns). The iPhone 5 has a tolerance of just 7 microns.

This is by far the most precise piece of electronics Apple has ever built.

Actually yes I do.

One part of my job actually involves making VERY high tolerance gauges, one at a time, and I have to work to ONE MICRON sometimes, and no computerised machine for me to use. All good of fashioned skill.

7 Microns would be luxury for me on the gauges I make.

----------

You ever work with CNC machines before? There are always differences from part to part.

Nothing wrong with "hand fitting" to find the cleanest mating of surfaces. The consumers will certainly appreciate it.

Yes I do and I work with people who do.

And we can repeat make items to closer than 7 microns thank you very much.

Out of Medical grade Titanium, Stainless Steel and Cobalt Chrome.

Comment

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
Wished the iPhone came in different colours like the iPod Touch does...

Comment

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom

Lol! My dad was a measuring technician and worked in microns as well. I have just asked him his thoughts :p

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.