Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
Going to have to see this thing in the flesh, but my feeling is they are slipping behind the game.
What I don't understand is people who are so happy they didn't make it wider.
If that's the case, they could stayed with, or bought the 4S.

I was hoping for a miracle, but I knew that wasn't going to happen.

Anyone in AU with a 4S for sale?

I also get the feeling Apple has become a market leader: not a compliment, rather the beginning of the end. Most innovators/ market leaders lose their grip on the market to new comers introducing innovation.

Man, I am so annoyed with this new model. The horrible keynote. The ugly design/ leaks turned out to be true. Even the name iPhone 5 is wrong (6th gen. model).

----------

+100
Totally agree.
You see a lot of small handed girls working the larger displays without any problem. I think that's just an excuse. My daughter jumped ship to an S3, she's loving it. No problem with operability.

I have all the current star phones on the market right now. The One X and S III are annoying to use with one hand. Unless you have "big" hands, that is.

triptolemus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
over and over, speculate over features of the upcoming iDev and when it actually matches everything you guessed (and proved you right) its not enough!

what the **** is the iPhone supposed to do for you? would someone please answer??? what the **** were you expecting? so far, no one has been able to actually quantify that.

Last edited by a moderator:

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Or to put it another way. We cannot hold tolerances tight enough in our manufacturing process, so we rummage around and find two parts that fit together.

I love it. :D But now you've done it—Apple will now have to add 'rummage around' to their blacklist of terms geniuses are not allowed to use.

In all seriousness though, it's kind of nice that Apple allowed us this insight into the manufacturing process, and how difficult it must be to ensure the precision we've come to expect from them.

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
over and over, speculate over features of the upcoming iDev and when it actually matches everything you guessed (and proved you right) its not enough!

what the **** is the iPhone supposed to do for you? would someone please answer??? what the **** were you expecting? so far, no one has been able to actually quantify that.

what's iDev?

It sounds like you are not old enough to understand this but read again: every innovator out there eventually lost grip on the market it created as its revenues grew, as it become comfortable and as more nimble competitors entered the market place. Philips, Sony, RIM, Nokia etc. AAPL struggled to close in the green today. Not a good thing on such a big day for the company. @ $672, it's got room for a correction. Pull up the chart for NOK and RIM too and marvel.

Personally, I didn't speculate on what was expected but I do think that the leaks being accurate is not a good sign for Apple, knowing the importance it places on secrecy. Unless Apple itself leaked the pictures itself to feed the hype machine.

I would have liked a couple of surprises from iOS. The famous "oh, one more thing..." For instance native VoIP/ SIP client. Hell I would have been able with just video wallpapers.

Now, give it a coupe of seconds to sink in. And don't insult people you don't know. It reflects badly on you and the way your parents raised you.

Last edited by a moderator:

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
I haven't been on Macrumors for awhile but thought I'd browse through some of the threads to see what people thought about Apple's new flagship phone. What I'm totally surprised about has nothing to do with Apple or the new iPhone. It's the amount of rude people who come here to complain about the smallest little issue. It seems that the world is turning into a bunch of cynical crybabies and most of them are here on Macrumors... especially on this thread.

The way that some of you people go on, Apple could never make you happy. Perhaps a phone made of liquid crystal that also served up a holographic version of Siri? Nah... you'd all whine about that too.

I'm not an Apple fanboy... I see them just as well designed and engineered devices that make peoples lives better. But I'm also realistic and amazed at the technology available at our fingertips. The rest of you are spoiled and have no respect for things that you could never do yourself even if you had a million years.

My parting advice is for you to go buy a Samsung phone. Then if you aren't satisfied and decide to comeback... you might want to apologize for being D bags.

Bhy

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Music during maps portion?

What was the music playing while Scott demoed the maps app?

macs4nw

macrumors 601
...It's very clear they didn't want to change the iPhone 4 design too much (rightfully so)

.... People think this level of precision just magically happens, but the engineering behind it really is impressive.

....the precision of the phone and quality it oozes is one of the subtle things that people take for granted that make the user experience of using an iPhone better than the rest. Overall I can't wait to get my hands on mine!

Same here: it looks to be very solid. Beauty is an objective thing, but to me it looks gorgeous as well, especially the white version with that shiny chamfered edge around it.

Seems clear to me when Ive & team find a design they like they don't change it just for the sake of change. They keep refining it. To an end user it might be 'meh' but I'm sure it's not to the designers and engineers that worked on it.

True enough. Why monkey around with near-perfection. Different isn't necessarily better; I've never really understood our obsession with radically redesigned models every year or even two years just for the sake of 'newness' in everything from cars to toasters to computers or phones for that matter. Perfection usually comes about by incremental tweaks to what are already solid designs to begin with. If everything works as advertised, 'Hats-off' to all those at APPLE who had a hand in designing this new iPhone!

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I think a large number of people have a negative view on the new products recently because they lack the shock factor that countless leaks have taken away from keynotes. I personally like the fact that Apple didn't completely alter a phone design that is already absolutely amazing in order to put an oversized screen or some other ridiculous feature on that isn't needed.

chan2004

macrumors regular
What I don't understand is people who are so happy they didn't make it wider.
If that's the case, they could stayed with, or bought the 4S.

Nowadays, there is not much difference between a phone and a tablet. For daily purposes, I don't think anybody needs a wider screen. Ergonomically, the screen should be wide enough for a person to use it with one hand comfortably.

The wider samsung phone looks good to see. But practically, its like carrying a ereader in your pocket. Then again, personal preferences vary a lot.

pyramis

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2008
Palo Alto, CA
DjdbT.png

chan2004

macrumors regular
I think a large number of people have a negative view on the new products recently because they lack the shock factor that countless leaks have taken away from keynotes. I personally like the fact that Apple didn't completely alter a phone design that is already absolutely amazing in order to put an oversized screen or some other ridiculous feature on that isn't needed.

Apple events, esp under SJ, had that wow factor.

But seeing yesterday's event, Most people will wait for the next generation than waste money. In short, most of us are disappointed.:mad:

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
Nowadays, there is not much difference between a phone and a tablet. For daily purposes, I don't think anybody needs a wider screen. Ergonomically, the screen should be wide enough for a person to use it with one hand comfortably.

The wider samsung phone looks good to see. But practically, its like carrying a ereader in your pocket. Then again, personal preferences vary a lot.

Yeah, and while that may be true, a bit bigger in all directions would've been nice. Even if it were say the S2 size screen. From reading across different forums, people at work, etc, I think a lot of people were hoping for this.

As I said, there's legion of kids with small hands happily using their larger screened phones. By all accounts they're loving it.

Hmm... maybe next year.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
True enough. Why monkey around with near-perfection. Different isn't necessarily better; I've never really understood our obsession with radically redesigned models every year or even two years just for the sake of 'newness' in everything from cars to toasters to computers or phones for that matter. Perfection usually comes about by incremental tweaks to what are already solid designs to begin with. If everything works as advertised, 'Hats-off' to all those at APPLE who had a hand in designing this new iPhone!

So, by now you would have a REALLY impressive cave, all smooth square walls, high tech built into the stone work.

hundreds of years perfecting your cave, every year you hone and polish the cave a little more, till at the end you are left with the most perfect cave ever.

Or perhaps you could take a leap, and build a free standing dwelling instead of a cave. Sure it's a bit radical, and perhaps most people in their perfect caves may think you are an idiot, I mean why change from your cave just for the hell of it? The cave is safer, stronger, cool in summer, warm in winter.

Yes, it's best to just stay in our proven cave.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
So, by now you would have a REALLY impressive cave, all smooth square walls, high tech built into the stone work.
hundreds of years perfecting your cave, every year you hone and polish the cave a little more, till at the end you are left with the most perfect cave ever.
Or perhaps you could take a leap, and build a free standing dwelling instead of a cave. Sure it's a bit radical, and perhaps most people in their perfect caves may think you are an idiot, I mean why change from your cave just for the hell of it? The cave is safer, stronger, cool in summer, warm in winter.
Yes, it's best to just stay in our proven cave.

I think that analogy, although funny, is a bit of a stretch. APPLE has already taken that 'LEAP' that's a bit 'RADICAL' when they re-invented the phone in 2007; at the time having been judged by most pundits to be revolutionary, not to mention it's commercial success. (And you can't argue with THAT.) Now they're tweaking it to perfection. Technological progress will continue, and sooner or later something way better will undoubtedly come along, but it's unrealistic to expect revolutionary, ground-breaking new versions of the iPhone, or any other gadget for that matter, to be introduced every year or so.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I think that analogy, although funny, is a bit of a stretch. APPLE has already taken that 'LEAP' that's a bit 'RADICAL' when they re-invented the phone in 2007; at the time having been judged by most pundits to be revolutionary, not to mention it's commercial success. (And you can't argue with THAT.) Now they're tweaking it to perfection. Technological progress will continue, and sooner or later something way better will undoubtedly come along, but it's unrealistic to expect revolutionary, ground-breaking new versions of the iPhone, or any other gadget for that matter, to be introduced every year or so.

Agreed, but we're still waiting for something to happen since iPhone 1 to be honest.
UI wise, in general it's the same that they launched on day one of model one.

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
Haha, funny as always.

"We don't want to just make a new phone, we want to make a much better phone." This means nothing.

"From the beginning, we knew we wanted to bring LTE to the iPhone." You're a bit late to the game...

etc.

Comedy gold.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Quotes from video:

Johnathan Ive said:
We take changing it very seriously.

So make it taller is being "serious?"

Johnathan Ive said:
It's been completely redesigned.

Sorry making it taller doesn't count as "completely redesigned."

Johnathan Ive said:
And for the first time ever we've increased the size of the display.

Well that's groundbreaking. :rolleyes:

Johnathan Ive said:
By making the screen taller, but not wider, you can still comfortably use it with one hand.

My phone is taller and wider than the iPhone 4S and fits very well in my hand.

iPhone 4S 9.3mm. iPhone 5 7.6mm. Amazing how they can sell on the fact that the iPhone 5 is 1.7mm thinner...

Bob Mansfield said:
From the beginning we knew we wanted to bring LTE to the iPhone

That's great and all, but it's not shocking or groundbreaking.

I really want to like the iPhone 5, but the fact remains that they didn't "redesign" by making it taller. They are pushing things that have been done.

I guess the new motto is "(Don't) Think Different."

Aco Strkalj

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
1) I find it funny the phone only turns half-way, not revealing its back, at the end of the video.

2) Watch me drop and break mine on day one.

chan2004

macrumors regular
Are you sure about that?

I know this one will too will sell like hotcakes.

But people like me who value apple for bringing products for their innovation, simplicity and usability would rather wait for the next generation than buy the latest one.

If you just try to be a market leader and forget the values that really took you there, you will soon become another Nokia or Blackberry.... Just saying :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.