Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I wonder how long the tributes will go on.

Perhaps it'll never stop. Many love living in the past.

This could outlast the Elvis sightings.

Given the number of MR members who've put Steves image in place as their Avatar.

Those who've created special signatures, this could go on, and on, and on.

I wonder how Tim Cook is feeling about the inevitable comparisons.

Everywhere you turn...

klrobinson999

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
All successful Fortune 500 CEOs are a bit arrogant and bullying. It's the nature of the beast, as it were. As Steve might have put it, the ones crazy enough to think they can be be Fortune 500 CEOs are the ones who are. I'm sure he wasn't the easiest person to work for.

Nonetheless, Steve Jobs was one the greatests CEO of the last 100 years (and the most valuable to his company). Especially in his second stint, he had the vision of Henry Ford, the tenacity of Jack Welch, the passion of Herb Kelleher, and the business smarts of Warren Buffett.

Absolutely, I agree.

Just don't be mean to waitresses and the help...

JCL

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2011
At first all of this publicity was a respectful way to celebrate his life and accomplishments.

It then shifted towards a way for Apple to prevent its stockholders from jumping ship in an "omg what not moment".

Now it just seems like they are milking it, its very tacky and in poor taste.

bkushner

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2011
After reading some of these macrumor newbies comments, I wish Apple was just a little less popular and these types stayed with Windows.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Absolutely, I agree.

Just don't be mean to waitresses and the help...

Always be kind to administrative assistants. Always. They are the gateways to the people in the C-Level offices. Plus, it's the right thing to do.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I wonder how long the tributes will go on.

Perhaps it'll never stop. Many love living in the past.

This could outlast the Elvis sightings.

Given the number of MR members who've put Steves image in place as their Avatar.

Those who've created special signatures, this could go on, and on, and on.

I wonder how Tim Cook is feeling about the inevitable comparisons.

Everywhere you turn...

Hopefully, in a couple of weeks we'll only see "Steve Jobs" in an MR headline when it makes sense. (But I'm sure that we'll have a week of stories based on bits of the biography, that's OK.)

To go back to Cook's quote on the OP:

But I know Steve. And Steve would have wanted this cloud to lift for Apple and our focus to return to the work that he loved so much.

Reflect, honor, and move on. (Or "go back to work" is closer to how Cook put it.)

Has anyone thought about the irony of the celebration being at the Infinite Loop campus that Jobs has been credited as saying that he hated?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
At first all of this publicity was a respectful way to celebrate his life and accomplishments.

It then shifted towards a way for Apple to prevent its stockholders from jumping ship in an "omg what not moment".

Now it just seems like they are milking it, its very tacky and in poor taste.

It makes sense for them to post it. Apple had nothing to do with the book. Jobs authorized it, but that was his own decision. As for the ceremony, it was tastefully done. Apple isn't advertising it. As far as their public campaigns are concerned, it's back to business as usual (there hasn't been a single SJ-related commercial - e.g. they didn't play the "change the world" commercial with Jobs' own voice on national TV), and the Apple website is back to showing the latest news or product blurb on the home page. But posting it on the website made sense. There were helicopters on scene, so there was obviously interest. But they let it be about Steve, and kept it private at first.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Then why are you playing it at his memorial? :eek:

Sometimes the artists have more acumen than the deceased.

Shortly after Warren Zevon died, I was at a small Jackson Browne benefit concert for a local charity.

Jackson said something to the effect that Warren had forbidden him to play this song at his funeral, but the funeral was last week and he's playing it for us in Warren's memory - and did a solo acoustic version of Song For Adam.

It was a very fitting/sad/moving/happy tribute.

One line from Song For Adam that seems fitting for Jobs' early death:

Still it seems he stopped his singing in the middle of his song​

Last edited:

sky860214

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2011
My internet connection sucks and I very much prefer to download it instead of streaming two hours for only 20 minutes' content.

Is there a way to download this video? Very much appreciate if any one can "hack" into the streaming protocols and provide a link to the original video.

Thanks!

MACWhite

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

A celebration? For someone's death?

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
That was the best hour and a half I've ever spent. What an amazing event! Far beyond my expectations! Just what you'd expect from Apple I guess. :D Bravo.

Nach0

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2010
My internet connection sucks and I very much prefer to download it instead of streaming two hours for only 20 minutes' content.

Is there a way to download this video? Very much appreciate if any one can "hack" into the streaming protocols and provide a link to the original video.

Thanks!

I'm trying man, but nothing other then a screen recording seems to work ATM cause the link is not working in any other browser.. grr..

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
wirelessly posted (mozilla/5.0 (ipod; cpu iphone os 5_0 like mac os x) applewebkit/534.46 (khtml, like gecko) version/5.1 mobile/9a334 safari/7534.48.3)

a celebration? For someone's death?

Screen Shot 2011-10-23 at 9.29.20 PM.png

MACWhite

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thank you for clearing that up.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I'll watch it if and when its available through firefox. Otherwise, I don't care to open that other peice of crap known as safari.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I'd like an apology from all of the people saying that I was insensitive of the family's wishes and what Steve wanted because I thought this would eventually be posted and that it would be the right thing to do for those of us who are customers and admire Steve. I cannot believe the amount of vitriol spewed at me in the previous thread on this topic (posted the day of the celebration). I'm glad to see I was right and will now have the opportunity to watch this beautiful ceremony!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.