Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One major iOS 15 feature that we are still waiting for is the ability to add a driver's license or state ID to the Wallet app on the iPhone and Apple Watch in participating U.S. states. Apple's website says this feature is coming in early 2022.

apple-wallet-drivers-license-feature.jpg

In the meantime, Apple continues to prepare for the feature's impending launch. In the second beta of iOS 15.4 seeded today, MacRumors contributor Steve Moser uncovered a new line of code in the Wallet app that states "Find out when your driver's license or state ID is ready to use and get important updates about your ID."

Apple last year announced that Arizona and Georgia will be among the first states to support the feature and said that Connecticut, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Oklahoma, and Utah will follow. Other states like Colorado, Delaware, Florida, and Louisiana already offer their own digital ID apps and could work with Apple on Wallet app integration.

Apple said select TSA security checkpoints will be the first locations where ID cards in the Wallet app can be presented, followed by retailers and venues in the future.

While there are code-level preparations for the feature, it is still not possible to add a driver's license or state ID to the Wallet app in the second beta of iOS 15.4. The feature could be enabled by time iOS 15.4 is publicly released around March or April, given Apple's early 2022 timeframe, but this remains to be seen.

Article Link: Apple Preparing for Driver's Licenses on iPhone in iOS 15.4 Beta

Reactions: lilspookyvert

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I’m confused. I thought the code was already present for this in 15.3. Also, didn’t the TSA say they would begin rolling this out in February? I assume there was just another delay.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Our phones have conveniently eliminated the need to carry around credit cards, keys, medical records, and now IDs. Won't be much longer before some super cool microchip embedded into our bodies eliminates the need to carry around a phone, all in the name of safety and convenience.

rcread

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
Duvall, WA USA
It would be great if this could be adapted nation-wide, so I don't have to keep track of whether my phone will work as ID when I travel.

ghostface147

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2008
I doubt my state, Texas, will support it anytime soon. However I also question the need for it too at this moment. For example, will polling places just look at your phone and say ok? Some clubs/bars shine some light on your ID to look at something. I have no idea what. It's not like Apple Pay where it can be rolled out nationwide at payment terminals. It will take time for all the states to get on board and then for locations to accept it, like polling places.

MacSERV

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2009
Southern NJ
Our phones have conveniently eliminated the need to carry around credit cards, keys, medical records, and now IDs. Won't be much longer before some super cool microchip embedded into our bodies eliminates the need to carry around a phone, all in the name of safety and convenience.
Won’t that be swell. Privacy as a concept will completely disappear.

Jamison7

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2020
It would be convenient for us if physical licenses were replaced with digital licenses, and it would also be easier for the g***t to cancel licenses. Sounds like a good idea, but the CCP may have beat us to the punch here.

Last edited:

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
I'm sure some cop will find a way to take your phone to the car with him to "run all the checks".
No thanx.
OK I'll give the cop my phone locked, screen off. What's that, he wants it unlocked? OK, then bring over the reader so I can tap it and authenticate it, then he gets the license info on his screen. What's that? He wants to have the phone unlocked? That's not how it works, I have to tap it to the reader for him to get the info, otherwise it won't authenticate without my face. What's that? He doesn't care about my license he just wants to take my phone and steal my bank account? OK hold on, I'm calling the state attorney general's office. Either he doesn't or he's going to prison.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I'm sure some cop will find a way to take your phone to the car with him to "run all the checks".
No thanx.
Even when this becomes widely adopted everywhere, I’ll always carry the physical card to hand over for for situations like this. No way I’m gonna hand over my phone to anyone that’s going to walk out of my view with it.

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68000
Nov 23, 2014
Even when this becomes widely adopted everywhere, I’ll always carry the physical card to hand over for for situations like this. No way I’m gonna hand over my phone to anyone that’s going to walk out of my view with it.

Exactly. Keep the physical version in your car now. Problem solved.

Reactions: MacNeb

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
It would be convenient for us if physical licenses were replaced with digital licenses, and it would also be easier for the g****t to cancel licenses. Sounds like a good idea, but the CCP may have beat us to the punch here.
Assuming you said gov't (although you have 4 *'s, so govm't? I don't know), so you realize your license can be cancelled now, like right now right? A cop still checks that your license is valid. The TSA checks that your name isn't on the no-fly list or no travel list. So no difference there. Your ID is cancellable, and so what if the physical card still remains, what do you get out of that, you can buy beers because they don't check your license is valid?

Reactions: SFjohn

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
come on South Carolina. Also Passport and TSA and the like. Abolish the physical wallet!
Passports are interesting because you need to be able to store travel visas in it. Maybe they could have an electronic record keeping system (probably on a separate app). Maybe airdrop a file over to their computer? Well you can NFC file transfer too, if Apple makes it. But I don't know, the world is slow to change, all the countries are gonna be like "what's wrong with old passports and we don't want to implement an electronic system blah blah blah". Funny enough passports are RFID based so putting it into Apple Wallet would be easy enough, they just have other considerations (travel visas etc).

On the other hand, there is the passport card in the US that could be put into this system today if the feds let it, you can use it to cross the US land borders but not for air travel or travel to non-Mexico non-Canada countries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.