Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Like I said to my mate, at least with Apple, there will be an update 2-3 weeks after the release rather than waiting 12 months for the first service pack for Windows.

I hope that your mate responded with:

"Yes, but Microsoft can delay the SP bundle because they don't wait for a .1, .2, .3,... in order to fix things. Windows Update delivers a steady stream of fixes as they become ready.

Vista SP1 will be a 50 MB download, or a 1 GB DVD image for standalone. The 950 MB difference is due to the fact that the bulk of SP1 is already installed by Windows Updates."​

http://www.winvistaclub.com/i2.html

OSX and Windows just take different solutions for the same problem (timely delivery of fixes) - it doesn't make one approach "right" and the other "wrong".

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch
I hope that your mate responded with:

"Yes, but Microsoft can delay the SP bundle because they don't wait for a .1, .2, .3,... in order to fix things. Windows Update delivers a steady stream of fixes as they become ready.

Vista SP1 will be a 50 MB download, or a 1 GB DVD image for standalone. The 950 MB difference is due to the fact that the bulk of SP1 is already installed by Windows Updates."​

http://www.winvistaclub.com/i2.html

OSX and Windows just take different solutions for the same problem (timely delivery of fixes) - it doesn't make one approach "right" and the other "wrong".

Steady stream of 'Quick Fixes' which don't have the same level of testing as their service packs - read up on their website and why they don't recommend installing them unless you really need to.

Btw, Microsoft were actually going to move to a fixed service pack release cycle, but never got around to implementing it. It was meant to be service packs every x number of months, on the dot. IIRC I think it was planned back the Windows 2000 years. Either way, had they stuck to that plan, SP2 should have been released in November, rather than Sp1.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Well, here's an interesting thing - I sent in the Up-to-Date paperwork rather late, and I just got my shipping notice today. Check out the tail end of the line that gives the SKU information (bold):

SKU #DescriptionQty ShippedMB025Z/AMAC OSX10.5 UTD12Z034-445410RTC OS X10.51

I wonder if we're going to see 10.5.1 this week, though doesn't Apple usually put out OS updates on Fridays?

yetti_876

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2004
Sidebar Leopard Problems:

1. All the shares on the network are visible in the sidebar. I don't like this since all my co-workers machines are littering my sidebar with random machines. I like the 10.4 behavior where I pick which machines I connect to and _only_ those machines show up in the sidebar.

2. Sidebar 'Places' and 'search for' move up and down when co-workers turn their machines on and off. (plus I need to frequently scroll to see my sidebar folders since I've got the max of 7 shares + all... showing in the shares, and I use shares frequently so I keep that disclosure triangle expanded.

3. The words 'Devices', 'shared', 'places', and 'search for' are unnecessary and take up vertical space. Just like in 10.4, there should be just a separator line instead of using text as a separator.

4. Shares should refresh faster.

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch
Well, here's an interesting thing - I sent in the Up-to-Date paperwork rather late, and I just got my shipping notice today. Check out the tail end of the line that gives the SKU information (bold):

SKU #DescriptionQty ShippedMB025Z/AMAC OSX10.5 UTD12Z034-445410RTC OS X10.51

I wonder if we're going to see 10.5.1 this week, though doesn't Apple usually put out OS updates on Fridays?

Whats the lead time like on your uptodate order? I'm assuming that they hope if there is no negative feedback from the testing of the patch, they'll try to get it out asap. They've probably been working on it in parallel to 10.5.0 so hopefully that'll mean its well tested.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Whats the lead time like on your uptodate order? I'm assuming that they hope if there is no negative feedback from the testing of the patch, they'll try to get it out asap. They've probably been working on it in parallel to 10.5.0 so hopefully that'll mean its well tested.
That's what's weird about it, my Up-to-Date order shipped on Monday. However, it looks like the developer seed of 10.5.1 also went out very recently. I can't imagine Apple would ship 10.5.1 as part of the UTD program before it goes to developers, but lately fathoming what's going on inside Apple's head is much trickier. Anyhow - since it went first class, it should be in my hands by the end of the week. Even though I'm not planning to install Leopard in the immediate future (or at least until I see what exactly 10.5.1 fixes), I'll repost with the info on whatever build they shipped to me. This could just be some sort of weird coincidence with their SKU numbers, or maybe they'll be sending a follow-up installer CD of the 10.5.1 update (though I don't recall Apple doing that in a long time) or maybe I really will get a 10.5.1 updater DVD.

TerryJ

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
i have the same problem too. Only I didn't know it was a problem I thought everyone's Leopard had those invisible files showing. Though it did irk me as I never saw them in Panther or Leopard but I thought maybe it had something to do with X11 being installed?

Notice my Hard Drive is simply called "Untitled".

I don't plan on reinstalling just to get rid of those folders. However, could that mean my install didn't go well? It was a clean install, weird.
I had the "mach_kernel" file showing on my main Macintosh HD level, which startled me, after installing Leopard. I was able to install a later developer Leopard build and the "mach_kernel" file went back to its invisible good self. Bug fixes, indeed!

-Terry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.