Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to be preparing an iOS 16.3.1 update for the iPhone, based on evidence of the software in our website's analytics logs this week. It's unclear when the update will be released, but it will likely be available at some point in February.

iOS-16.3.1-Public-Beta-Feature.jpg

The same logs have accurately foreshadowed the release of several previous updates, including iOS 16.0.3 and iOS 16.1.1 most recently, so they have proven to be a reliable indicator of Apple's upcoming software releases. Minor updates like iOS 16.3.1 are typically focused on bug fixes, stability improvements, and security patches.

In the meantime, the wait continues for the first beta of iOS 16.4, which will likely be a more significant update with some new features. Previously-announced iOS features that have still yet to launch include Apple Pay Later for financing purchases, an Apple Card savings account option for Daily Cash, opt-in web push notifications via Safari, and more, but it's unclear if any of these features will be included in iOS 16.4.

Apple released iOS 16.3 in late January with support for physical security keys as a two-factor authentication option for Apple ID accounts, worldwide availability of Advanced Data Protection for expanded iCloud encryption, a new Black Unity wallpaper in celebration of Black History Month, Emergency SOS tweaks, and second-generation HomePod support.

Evidence of both iOS 16.4 and iOS 17 have also shown up in our website's analytics logs in recent weeks, as Apple employees test the updates internally. iOS 17 is expected to be announced at Apple's annual developers conference WWDC in June.

Article Link: Apple Preparing iOS 16.3.1 Update for iPhone as Wait for iOS 16.4 Beta Continues

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
lmao what is MR's obsession with no 16.4?

If we don't need it then there is no need for it. Or do you want Apple pushing out crappy updates for no reason other than to generate views/clicks on your site? Jeeez.

I'm happy if 16.3.1 is the next update. When 16.4 warrants a release then Apple should do it but not for useless updates.

Samsung Galaxy Event is over and now Apple can fully focus on iOS 16.4 beta 1. Please let it be today. 🙏 🍀

Update: I prayed this morning. 🛐

“Apple in heaven, I stand before You today in Your omnipotent presence to ask that You grant us iOS 16.4 Beta 1. I want You to give me the beta to power up my iPhone. whether little or big. It is by Your will that I live oh Apple And I know it is also by Your will I will not be disappointed today."

-Amen 🙏🏻📿🧎🏻‍♀️

Last edited:

exjr_

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2022

If we don't need it then there is no need for it. Or do you want Apple pushing out crappy updates for no reason other than to generate views/clicks on your site? Jeeez.

I'm happy if 16.3.1 is the next update. When 16.4 warrants a release then Apple should do it but not for useless updates.

Who says we don't need it? There are multiple features Apple touted for iOS 16 but are yet to release. 16.4, and maybe 16.5 are warranted and it is valid to question when they will be out.

Among the features yet to come:

- Apple Pay Later
- Apple Card Savings Account
- Web Push Notifications
- New HomeKit Architecture
- iMessage Contact Key Verification

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I can't think of a website I would want to notify me of anything. Hopefully it will be possible to disable that "feature" globally.
A notification for someone responding to a post could potentially be useful, but I mostly agree. Most things I'd use notifications for already have an app if I really want them.

User 6502

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2014

We definitely need an update. HomeKit is broken for many of us and we haven’t been able to control our homes or share control or a combination of the two. Moreover, many features promised for iOS 16 haven’t been released yet. Considering iOS 16 was a meagre update even with this features, it’s quite embarrassing for apple than many months after the initial release they are still missing.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
We definitely need an update. HomeKit is broken for many of us and we haven’t been able to control our homes or share control or a combination of the two. Moreover, many features promised for iOS 16 haven’t been released yet. Considering iOS 16 was a meagre update even with this features, it’s quite embarrassing for apple than many months after the initial release they are still missing.
Agreed. They better release a damn update for the HomePod alongside this. Everyone with the Original HomePod has to repeat EVERY command issued to Siri twice in order for it to take place. Second time works every time but you literally have to ask twice. How does this BS get through QA?

UPDATE/CORRECTION: This is happening to OGs where the architecture was updated to 2nd gen.

Last edited:

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
I'm hoping this finally fixes the 'the iPhone 14 Pro Max is slightly bigger than your iPhone 14 Pro' bug.
If it's a real insect causing bug problems around you maybe...... But talking about the phone 14 Promax bugs ...I have no idea because I am not having problems with it.

Reactions: David1964

pauloregan

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2017
United Kingdom
Hardly a list to stomp our collective feet in a i want it now style.

- Apple Pay Later (nobody should be eager about debt)
- Apple Card Savings Account (meh)
- Web Push Notifications (few will have it turned on)
- New HomeKit Architecture (yes please)
- iMessage Contact Key Verification (meh)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Agreed. They better release a damn update for the HomePod alongside this. Everyone with the Original HomePod has to repeat EVERY command issued to Siri twice in order for it to take place. Second time works every time but you literally have to ask twice. How does this BS get through QA?
Oh my God I just realized I've been doing that (repeating commands twice) for awhile now and not even realizing it! If that's not proof I'm a parent, I don't know what is! 🤣

gclayton

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2018
I don’t.

Reactions: zecanard
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.