Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
well... doesn't sound like it will be a "major" revision... but I'm fine with tweaks to the existing concept... and it will make the iphone 4 cheaper!

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
If Apple doesn't include LTE in the next iPhone it will be because the technology hasn't yet matured to the point where it meets Apple's rigorous quality standards. That is the major reason I have an iPhone - I know that whatever features it has will actually work. I'd rather have reliable 3G than 4G that's twice as fast but only 10% of the time, with the other 90% of the time making me wish I didn't buy the phone.

Every time I see the commercial for that stupid 3D phone I want to throw something at the TV.

(To provide some background, I'm a recovering Blackberry Storm user. If you've ever tried to use one of those paperweights, you understand. :) )

Id rather have 4G with the option to turn it off and utilize 3G if I feel like the plauses outweigh the minuses, but your logic makes no sense to me.

And while I love Apple, their rigorous quality stadnards? Not in the last 2-3 years...

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Sheesh

If I had a nickel for every rumor....

Me thinks pricing to upgrade from an iP4 is not going to be a pretty sight. But the blind will jump....

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
if it were a trade off of having say, iPod-like thin vs additional battery, I think I'd sooner have more battery.

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
I just want my AT&T bill to get thinner and lighter.

Foxconn/Hon Hai is having difficulties with yield rate on the new device due to it being "complicated and difficult to assemble."

That's because they go blind after the first dozen or so...

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I dont want thinner and lighter! The iPhone 4 is fine like it is, keep it the same thickness and weight and put a newer battery in.

What sounds like a better boast for the new iPhone.

2.3mm Thinner & 3g Lighter!

or

40% Longer Battery Life!

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Actually, just $10 million. It's called Liquidmetal. Look at your iPhone four from a sideways angle. Look at how thick the glass is. Now imagine instead of having the rear be glass, it is super thin Liquidmetal. Now also imagine the aluminum antenna is also Liquidmetal that is thinner but the same strength. This is how they make the phone thinner.

The antenna is stainless steel not aluminum. So probably not going to be replaced with liquidmetal. Although I haven't looked up the properties of LM to see if it would make a good antenna. Replacing the rear with LM may be an option. We'll see.

Sjmarcy

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2009
A friend with a 4G android phone needs 3 batteries to make it through his day. The first one is done by noon. The second by quitting time. And the third is for the evening. I should ask how he gets them all charged up.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Your in for Liquid metal?

- look at those -

Gullideckelhistorisch.jpg

all pure and solid.

Sure its older tech but please don't stress the term "l***** m****".

Btw would a metal backing help to screw up reception once and for all :D so get over it. NO metal backing.

And to all the LTE lovers!? Come one - 2 streets with reliable LTE reception do not make your city "LTE ready".
3G isn't available everywhere yet, not to speak about its theoretical data transfer rates... For LTE you need a lot of 3G towers... so it would be only logical to improve 3G density and data transfer first and then upgrade to LTE. Everything else is just marketing.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
actually, just $10 million. It's called liquidmetal. Look at your iphone four from a sideways angle. Look at how thick the glass is. Now imagine instead of having the rear be glass, it is super thin liquidmetal. Now also imagine the aluminum antenna is also liquidmetal that is thinner but the same strength. This is how they make the phone thinner.

51a7JEZzkAL._SL500_.jpg

SSDGUY

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2009
3rd quarter?

Doesn't the third quarter end June 30? Do they mean 4th quarter? (July 1 - Sept 30)

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Apple has to realize that if they do not include LTE, this will give the android sets a big marketing advantage. Perhaps it will be a real advantage for only a relatively few people, but marketing is powerful..... Because of this, I'm thinking that if they do not include it, it will be for a very good reason.

The problem I see, is that while LTE might not be a big deal now, it will be before not too long. My area does not have (Verizon) LTE now, but it is scheduled to be implemented sometime in 2011. While I can continue using 3G now, I am not going to want to wait until September 2013 to take advantage of LTE (assuming I buy and sign a 2-year contract for iPhone 5).

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
they released it in those countries at the same time last year? i got mine in germany the day it was released in the US

Yes in Germany and those other countries I listed ... but not in Canada. We had to wait until the end of July.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
OK, I hope that "more complicated, hard for us to assemble" doesn't mean that the return rate due to faulty phones will be higher. That certainly doesn't feel like a far fetched problem stemming from these news, and a bit worrying.

Ever since the phone reception issues with the iPhone 4 design, Apple's ferocious hunt for the ultimate design has become a bit worrisome to me. They need to reinforce their reputation for quality, not add new fuel to the QA worries.

Well said. Perhaps it's only reasonable to expect two out of the following three:

1. Sexy
2. Functional/Reliable
3. Affordable

Apple traditionally focuses on the first two (or with their mice, only the first one!), but with all the competition in the mobile phone market, one feels they're walking a much finer line now, trying to achieve all three.

nickdelvecchio

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
AZ
If Apple doesn't include LTE in the next iPhone it will be because the technology hasn't yet matured to the point where it meets Apple's rigorous quality standards. That is the major reason I have an iPhone - I know that whatever features it has will actually work. I'd rather have reliable 3G than 4G that's twice as fast but only 10% of the time, with the other 90% of the time making me wish I didn't buy the phone.

Every time I see the commercial for that stupid 3D phone I want to throw something at the TV.

(To provide some background, I'm a recovering Blackberry Storm user. If you've ever tried to use one of those paperweights, you understand. :) )

Amen.

if I ever see a blackberry storm again I can't say that i won't break it on the spot. save those poor souls from entrapment.

after going from the blackberry storm to the Droid X and finally to the Verizon iPhone- it is such a good feeling to have a reliable phone for all instances rather than some or most. i now use my computer a lot less now that my phone can take the burden and I can rely on it. I would love to have LTE with a backwards compatible CDMA, but i don't absolutely NEED it

msb3079

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
collingswood. nj
Any thinness and lightness is probably going to be realized by replacing the back panel glass with a composite, and thinning the front glass as well. Those are by far the most heavy components in the phone so it makes sense that's where they're focusing. My guess is form factor for everything else will stay the same.

The back glass is heavy and thick??? Have you ever taken it off??

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Doesn't the third quarter end June 30? Do they mean 4th quarter? (July 1 - Sept 30)

Wouldn't that make Oct-Dec the fifth quarter?

Businesses sometimes have different financial years but I think, when we talk in general terms, the year is the calendar year.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Is thinner and lighter always a good thing?

Having held and talked on both the iPhone 4 and my Evo 4G, I much prefer the heft of the Evo (with extended battery) over the iP4. It feels much more solid, and I don't get the feeling that I might break it at any minute.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
I dont want thinner and lighter! The iPhone 4 is fine like it is, keep it the same thickness and weight and put a newer battery in.

What sounds like a better boast for the new iPhone.

2.3mm Thinner & 3g Lighter!

or

40% Longer Battery Life!

This. I have been trying to hold off getting an iPhone 4 the last few months because I know there's a new one coming out. Just hope there is a worthwhile upgrade so I won't be mad at myself for dealing with this crappy android phone for longer than I had to.

superdudeo

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2010
I think Apple will be in for a shock if they don't increase screen size. I don't upgrades or new customers will be attracted.

grapefruitx

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Thin? why

I have never heard anyone complain that there phone was not thin enough,
"I would buy an iphone but its not thin enough" is not a sentence that has ever been constructed as a serious critique.

"The battery life is pants" that you hear.

Seriously if you really put this device to work, battery life is not up to the job.

Make it thicker give me 3-4 X the endurance, that i will buy.

Lord Appleseed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2010
Apple Manor

Jan - March = 1st Q.
April - June = 2nd Q.
July - September 3rd Q.
October - December 4th Q.

Unless you are talking about financial Quarters, which they probably didn't mean here anyway.

Corato

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2009
Will definitely be replacing my 3GS ! Now.. who is going to have shared data plan, I have 3 iphones on my plan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.