Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
Not a chance. Apple couldn't even if they wanted to. iOS apps are built specifically for ARM processors, so would run unbearable slowly on desktop processors. Also, Apple's been careful to separate apps built for touch devices and desktop. They're not going to break that.

The iOS simulator built into Xcode works faster than a real iPhone. That said, I still don't think Apple would do something like that.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Nope... this program isn't for paid developers. You wouldn't get Mountain Lion free for testing 10.8.1 or 10.8.x. You must already have Mountain Lion to test those.

Ok, so as a paid OS X ADC member (since 10.2), how are they picking people to participate? I have never seen Apple randomly chose a consumer for a 10.x.x beta. Yes, sometimes they invite consumers into the ADC program, but this is something unusual. If they don't offer this to paid developers, that is a major issue.

----------

btw: although Facebook integration would be good. IOS has it, and since the Mac is getting much the same stuff nowadays, why not ? Maybe, in a form of a widget, or something... recoded of course to work on the Mac.

There already is an add-on for developers that incorporates Facebook into OS X just like Twitter in 10.8. It's VERY beta, and if you allow access to Contacts it replaces all your Facebook contacts with @facebook.com email and only their Facebook info. I lost all my phone numbers and personal email accounts as doing so didn't merge the data, it replaced it. Facebook is still actively revamping all their mobile app's and OS X integration.

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
Ok, so as a paid OS X ADC member (since 10.2), how are they picking people to participate? I have never seen Apple randomly chose a consumer for a 10.x.x beta. Yes, sometimes they invite consumers into the ADC program, but this is something unusual. If they don't offer this to paid developers, that is a major issue.

No one really knows... When I was first selected (to test 10.6), I was told that it was because of insightful comments in Apple's support forums. Others have theorized that it was due to a certain bug they reported.

treichert

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Aachen, Germany
The iOS simulator built into Xcode works faster than a real iPhone. That said, I still don't think Apple would do something like that.

That because it does not emulate an ARM-Processor but XCode compiles the apps for Intel-Processors and then runs them on the Simulatorversion of iOS 8which is also x86).

tooshaggy

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
SoCal
Nope, FB is a separate install which has been available to developers since before 10.8 was released. Probably just fixes that were lower priority than what made it into the .1 release.

I suspect one more quick beta and a release soon after that. The last .1 beta still had "TBA" in the installer text.

Where is the FB? I looked at the developer downloads all the way back to Feb. and did not see it!

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
That because it does not emulate an ARM-Processor but XCode compiles the apps for Intel-Processors and then runs them on the Simulatorversion of iOS 8which is also x86).

Sure. What I was getting at is that Apple could just build a copy for Intel if they wanted.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I'd imagine that means 10.8.1 is in a golden state so that they could begin to develop off of it. Wouldn't want to build a beta off a beta!

Not necessarily. Software development is basically managed using an Issue/Feature vs. Release matrix. A planned set of issues/Features are earmarked for each release. There may be multiple teams working on each release, and any one item does not necessarily depend on others, so multiple items scheduled for 10.8.2 may be completed well before 10.8.1 is released and be ready to be tested. It's very likely they have teams working on 10.8.3, 4, & 5, as well as 10.9.0 and 10.10.0.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
I could never really pass myself to see the difference between Siri and dictation.

Couldn't Apple just have expanded dictations ability to Internet use vs needing another one called "Siri" just for this in addition ?

the difference is simple. dictaion means you have to know where you're going to find stuff, siri does it for you

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Nope... this program isn't for paid developers. You wouldn't get Mountain Lion free for testing 10.8.1 or 10.8.x. You must already have Mountain Lion to test those.

Oh. When I went to the developer site, it said that Mountain Lion was in the Mac Dev Center, and to enter that, I need a full membership, right?

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
any bets on which updates will be better? odd or even? That's the law of OS X updates isn't it?

...personally I think 10.8.5 will be the one, it reminds me of OS 8.5 which was bloody great!

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

the difference is simple. dictaion means you have to know where you're going to find stuff, siri does it for you

ya i know the difference, but what i mean is dictation could be expanded to this couldn't it ?

eg: you start of with diction, and add Internet use of this to the point it would be server based. Rather than .. keep dictation, and its easier just to bring out another diction like called Siri, it "proves much better"

..the point is, if they improved dictation, then "it" could easily be Siri wouldn't it?

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Safari definitely feels snappier on 10.8.2 compared to 10.8.1....oh wait, too early???

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
This is great. 10.8.1 isn't out yet an already Apple is working on a new update.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Obviously, Apple did not think about this when they implemented Launchpad for OS X...

Word. Apple has been ****ting on OS X with this idea that iOS is amazing and needs to be in their Mac's, and all the new consumers will love it as it will be easier for them from an iOS device blah blah blah

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Thats my point. Why work on two dot upgrades at the same time? Why not just make a solid dot upgrade.

Because the strategy is to fix more critical bugs as fast as they can (potentially a .1 update in the next week). .2 is for bugs that aren't as high priority and take longer to fix.

.2 may not ship for another month or two after .1 does. Waiting until everything on the .2 to-do list is done could mean the first update comes three months after initial release instead of one. And for things like battery life, that's just too long.

Actually, the user beta program does give out free copies, at least for those who are in at the time of the initial 10.8.0 release (how else would users test it, it's not like they can buy it before release). Sometimes they add extra testers after the initial .0 version ships, and those people need to own it, but then they'll get invited back for 10.9 and get that free.

Read the first line again. It says 'developers', not 'users'.

But Apple does also test with users who aren't developers, as mentioned earlier in the thread. Devs usually get it first, but usually by less than a day.

The entire Appleseed is users by invitation only, probably from participation in Apple support forums. They have no reason to invite people who are developers since they already have the OSX betas and are testing them (although developers sometimes also get invites to appleseed, probably coincidentally).

Where is the FB? I looked at the developer downloads all the way back to Feb. and did not see it!

I'm not a developer so I don't have it and can't help you out with specifics. But it has been widely reported that there was a separate download image.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
ya i know the difference, but what i mean is dictation could be expanded to this couldn't it ?

eg: you start of with diction, and add Internet use of this to the point it would be server based. Rather than .. keep dictation, and its easier just to bring out another diction like called Siri, it "proves much better"

..the point is, if they improved dictation, then "it" could easily be Siri wouldn't it?

no because dictation is designed to work with any textfield where siri is designed to be independent of all else

mex4eric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Thats my point. Why work on two dot upgrades at the same time? Why not just make a solid dot upgrade.

They like working separate threads. Different teams. Remember, they are also working on 10.9 in parallel.

I will be happy to accept 10.8.1 on Friday and 10.8.2 sometime in September and 10.9 next June.

Keep on trucking, Apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.