Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Do Apple usually put loads of exclamation marks in notices like these? Doesn't seem very Apple... (maybe I'm just being pedantic)

I also noticed that. It seems very un-Apple to "shout" like that in any of its communications. (Not that I am a developer or anything). Usually I associate that with cheaper brands.

"Sale! Sale! Sale!"
"Come on down today!"
"Limited offer!"

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
They like working separate threads. Different teams. Remember, they are also working on 10.9 in parallel.

I will be happy to accept 10.8.1 on Friday and 10.8.2 sometime in September and 10.9 next June.

Keep on trucking, Apple!

Try managing thousands of computers. Apple is the only vendor we work with that does things like this. It makes no sense because it forces us to be bleeding edge constantly.

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
Obviously, Apple did not think about this when they implemented Launchpad for OS X...
Just because a grid of app icons with 1-level folders that we know from iOS was designed for a touchscreen, does not mean that something similar can be implemented successfully in the point-and-click OS X environment.

I used to have an Application stack in Snow Leopard. Since Lion, I've used Launchpad with no qualms or complaints.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
The entire Appleseed is users by invitation only, probably from participation in Apple support forums. They have no reason to invite people who are developers since they already have the OSX betas and are testing them (although developers sometimes also get invites to appleseed, probably coincidentally).

Yes, I got an invite as a developer. I even emailed them and asked if my invitation may be given to a friend who is a developer and could use it. No reply.

Of course I realize we'll get the seed, I was referencing someone's comment that developer's won't and only certain consumers would. That, my friends, is entirely incorrect :)

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
or iBooks.

Missing the ability to have my iBooks on my computers and mobile devices is one of the largest barriers for me to actually use iBooks.

Apple is smoking crack with that too. I don't like to read on my computer, but there are times where it would be a nice feature. My Kindle App and even the B&N reader app allow this, and keep your pages synced across devices.

Honestly though, I still wouldn't do iBooks. iBooks really sucks compared to the competition in both selection, price, and device options. I'm all about Amazon sales, discounts, promos, and special offers.... (B&N and Apple... take note... there is a reason why you can't compete with them... just saying)

eject

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
London
Please fix 'Notes' it works but is very unstable syncing across multiple machines and iOS devices. One list was working fine for me, but you can now add notes into folders, great idea, but had major freak out and nearly lost stuff.
Notes should also build in some encryption for passwords and usernames etc. so it can be used a bit more privately and secure.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
They sure are quick on these .1 releases. Not to sound snotty, but what happened to the "we controll the hardware and software so it just works" argument?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
They sure are quick on these .1 releases. Not to sound snotty, but what happened to the "we controll the hardware and software so it just works" argument?

Was forgotten when iPhones and iPads became Apple's "forte"

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
This somehow looks to me like developers lost interest in the dev previews of Mac OS X. I remember when previous systems came out, everybody was waiting impatiently on seeing a glimpse of a dot release. "Hope they fix this", "Hope they include that".

I think that many (not all) developers share the same thoughts: ML is ok. Not great, but ok. But why should they bother anyway.

buckyballs

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2006
The iOS simulator built into Xcode works faster than a real iPhone. That said, I still don't think Apple would do something like that.

That's because it's a 'simulator', not and 'emulator'. An emulator is what would be required to run existing apps because they're compiled for ARM and translates each line of code before it is run.

A simulator is what developers can use for development because to run an application in the simulator, it is actually compiled as x86 code (what a desktop machine uses), rather than ARM. This means it's designed to run on a desktop machine, hence why it's fast. Android development uses an emulator, which is why the Android emulator is much slower than the iOS simulator. An emulator is more likely to give accurate results however.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Try managing thousands of computers. Apple is the only vendor we work with that does things like this. It makes no sense because it forces us to be bleeding edge constantly.

There's nothing abnormal to working on multiple branches of software releases. 10.8.1 is probably in a feature freeze and now any new features or "bug" fixes that require more important changes in the code that can impact functionality are being moved to the 10.8.2 branche instead.

This is pretty much normal practices in the industry, where you have your current branch where you continue actively working on adding features and doing bigger fixes and clean ups and your beta branch that keeps getting some smallish fixes in order to get a release out.

I don't quite understand why you're shocked by this.

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
if apple is truly giving 10.8.2 to users, it could be to get a wider install base for testing facebook integration. not sure how many devs would use it.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Im using Developer version of 10.8.1 with the Facebook integration, and Twitter integration for Notifications, but have yet to receive one single notification whatsoever, despite being logged into Facebook / Twitter.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Do Apple usually put loads of exclamation marks in notices like these? Doesn't seem very Apple... (maybe I'm just being pedantic)

Yes, pedantic would be the polite way to describe it. These emails are written by software managers excited about their work, not marketing or PR managers, and emailed to a pre-selected group of beta testers. Believe me when one receives one of these emails the only thing read is "new version," and "download." No one is lollygagging, counting punctuation marks or otherwise over-analyzing the message.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
if apple is truly giving 10.8.2 to users, it could be to get a wider install base for testing facebook integration. not sure how many devs would use it.

Already discussed in the thread. FB is available as a separate install, if they want to expand testing beyond devs they can just make that available to the other testing groups. At some point they'll have a bigger FB beta release, but it's silly to assume any particular build is intended just for that purpose.

smeggsmeg

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2011
I just downloaded 10.8.1 now, guess it was in gm:)

Is it just me or did Lion remember that the app was full screen after closing. I'm getting pretty fed up of the massive fitt's law issue in going from the bottom of the screen to the top to click those arrows everytime i reopen.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.