Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

162249-led_cinema_displays.jpg

Mockup of existing 24" LED display (left) next to 27" model (right)
AppleInsider reports that Apple is preparing to launch a 27-inch LED Cinema Display and a refresh of its Mac Pro lineup, pegging a release window of "by June" for both products. The 27-inch LED Cinema Display is said to use the same panel as that used in Apple's 27-inch iMac and will closely resemble the existing 24-inch LED Cinema Display released in October 2008.
Two people familiar with the upcoming display say its been lingering in Apple's labs for quite sometime, where it's frequently referenced by the unique identifier/codename "K59." The Mac maker is believed to have been waiting patiently for the cost of the larger LCD panels, which sport a resolution of 2560 by 1440 pixels, to shed some of their premium before introducing the model to market.
As for the Mac Pro, the report's sources indicate that Apple will stick to Intel's Xeon processors, utilizing members of the 5600 series released earlier this week. While the Mac Pro is due for a refresh and recent rumors had suggested that a release might be imminent, the report similarly offers a window of "by June" for the refresh.

Article Link: Apple Preparing to Launch 27-Inch LED Cinema Display, Mac Pro Update by June?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
FINALLY. It's about time. Aside from the 24" LED LCD Apple launched in 2008 for their notebook line, the ACD's haven't been fully refreshed since 2003. The 30" ACD CCFL LCD is a good display, but not in todays market especially given that LED backlit panels are becoming more commonplace. I hope Apple does refresh their "Pro" line, they need to recommit to their high end user base that has long been a game player in Apple "computer's".

macusersince5

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
about freaking time. Now what else will be in the new mac pros except for a 6 core processor or 12 whatever one you want?

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
WWDC- Back to PRO's

I'm paying down my credit card just for this, just waiting for the update, and I'm pulling the trigger!

I can wait for a newly polished Mac-Pro (six core for me...)

Let the iPad dust settle, and boom!

macusersince5

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
I wonder if they will release these in April to correspond to the NAB conference in Vegas. I read a rumor ages ago somewhere that apple would release a new Final cut studio upgrade to correspond to NAB in 2010. Would be the perfect time to display the new power of the program and on a new Mac Pro. What do you guys think?

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
This is LONG over due.

And it will be even more over due by the time it actually happens. JUNE??? you have got to be kidding me. Ive already put off my new mac pro purchase long enough. this is ridiculous. does apple just not even care about their computer business anymore?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I'd be surprised. If it is the same panel as the 27" iMac, it can not be any where near as expensive as a 27" iMac as it is simply just the display portion. The 30" ACD is listed as $1799, I'd be surprised if the 27" LED LCD is listed at that price or higher given that the 27" iMac starts at $1699. As LED backlit displays are more expensive than traditional CCFL displays, I'd gather somewhere between $1200-$1400 for the 27" (the 24" LED LCD retails for $899).

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
They have to have a matte (anti-glare) option..

They can't have their whole display lineup as glossy only. Bad enough that the iMac's are glossy only.

A matte 21.5" ACD and a matte 27" ACD would be awesome. Silver enclosure please.

macusersince5

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
watch apple do one gigantic media coverage and debut mac pro, macbook pros and new iphone 3xx all on the same day at WWDC! lol:D:apple:

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
$$$$

I got a 30" Dell Ultrasharp LCD that is fantastic - and it cost less than $1,000. And yes, it IS just as color accurate as Apple's. No it doesn't match my MacPro, but I just don't care. The stand is better, it has a card reader built-in, more convenient port placement, etc... Apple's monitor's are the single most overpriced thing the company has ever produced.

bobringer

macrumors member
May 20, 2004
I'd be surprised. If it is the same panel as the 27" iMac, it can not be any where near as expensive as a 27" iMac as it is simply just the display portion. The 30" ACD is listed as $1799, I'd be surprised if the 27" LED LCD is listed at that price or higher given that the 27" iMac starts at $1699. As LED backlit displays are more expensive than traditional CCFL displays, I'd gather somewhere between $1200-$1400 for the 27" (the 24" LED LCD retails for $899).

No way it's going to be close to that. I'd suspect $999. Possibly $899.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I wonder if they will release these in April to correspond to the NAB conference in Vegas. I read a rumor ages ago somewhere that apple would release a new Final cut studio upgrade to correspond to NAB in 2010. Would be the perfect time to display the new power of the program and on a new Mac Pro. What do you guys think?

Doubt it. Apple doesn't even have a booth at NAB anymore, so it's unlikely they'd release a new product at a show they don't attend.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I got a 30" Dell Ultrasharp LCD that is fantastic - and it cost less than $1,000. And yes, it IS just as color accurate as Apple's. No it doesn't match my MacPro, but I just don't care. The stand is better, it has a card reader built-in, more convenient port placement, etc... Apple's monitor's are the single most overpriced thing the company has ever produced.

Yet it's not an IPS panel, nor LED, so it's not on the same level as the LED LCD IPS panels utilized in the 24" LED LCD or the rumored 27".

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
No way it's going to be close to that. I'd suspect $999. Possibly $899.

Which means Apple HAS to drop the price on the 24" as it sells currently for $899.

Plus, does this mean Apple will go back and update the 24" as well to be 16x9?

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Steve retire or something?

Wow. Apple making computers and computer displays. What a novel concept.

Still nowhere near cutting edge, but no one will notice those superdrives until they try to put a Blu-ray in.

:apple:

macusersince5

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
Doubt it. Apple doesn't even have a booth at NAB anymore, so it's unlikely they'd release a new product at a show they don't attend.

I never said at the conference. Just around that time frame in april. I think NAB is April 11 or something. Either way we will know soon enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.