Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbcooler

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2010
NY
I use iWork 09 and love Numbers and Pages. If I used a projector I'd probably love Keynote, but for now I just make my work proposals with Numbers mostly and I really love it. It's so simple and powerful. All my PC friends can't make charts/graphs pages look as good and on top of that it takes them twice as much time.

So happy with iWork 09...but I would probably upgrade to iWork 11 if the reviews and new features seem good.

railstop

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2007
Denver, Colorado
It's only natural that 11 or 12 or whatever shows up, is very soon. 11 should have been introduced this past few months, however Jobs chose to talk about the Mac App Store. This is a clear indication that the release is being held for an app store release. This also points toward the future of Apple software releases.
Edit: By the way, the Apple data enter is reportedly ready, for what? Maybe a Mac app store.

Last edited:

Hallivand

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Sydney, Australia
As compared to Powerpoint and Word I find Pages and Keynote very efficient and simple to use, although admittedly Pages lacks simple things such as *viciously eyeing* BORDERS.

Alas if it is indeed a Mac Store exclusive, then not only would it (predictably) cut out PowerPC Macs altogether but cut out any Intel machines running 10.5, in a way forcing an upgrade.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Ah, so the Mac App Store will sell Apple iWork and iLife. Smart, but more piratable. However, Limewire was shut down (and some other stuff) so hopefully it won't be such a problem.

However, the last iWork did NOT impress me. It barely had anything new. I didn't buy it. I'm at '08 and I love it :apple:.

And to Hallivand: There ARE borders if you know where they are. Press Shift Apple L to get them.

twilson

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2005
Ah, so the Mac App Store will sell Apple iWork and iLife. Smart, but more piratable.

How do you figure that iWork will more "piratable"?

Seeing as the disks currently offer no protection at all, I think the App Store DRM will provide at least some level of protection, versus the current NONE!

Making it less piratable surely.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I for one like the idea of the app store, however Apple had better still offer disk copies of certain software. It would take me a week to download iWork from the Internet!

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
I know I'll get hell for this :p, but I've never found any use for most of the ilife and iwork applications apart from iMovie and iDVD, but iDVD has always failed on me, at least for 80% of the time, I would always experience syncing issues where the audio and video wasn't in sync.

I know what problem you are referring to. It has a causation unrelated to iDVD, however my memory fails me as to exactly what's behind it.

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

After the horror story that is iPhoto11, I'll be staying well clear of this until the beta testers have had the first few upgrades. As much as I love apple they simply can't be trusted at the moment to deliver a seamless experience or upgrade without risks. What a sad state of affairs....

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
France
Not really...

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2010-12-18 à 10.54.01.png
    Capture d’écran 2010-12-18 à 10.54.01.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,620

EverythingAppleLike

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
I found this on the apple online store in the UK at 08:32 AM (GMT) it was taken off 3 mins later as I clicked on it, the normal iWork site came up could this be a sign of it coming soon?

PS. (Look at the new to store tab on the right)

Attachments

• iWork '11?.png
    iWork '11?.png
    443.2 KB · Views: 695

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
What will happen to the educational discount if they only sell it on the mac app store and no physical copy. Only reason why I r early bought it because it was £30

HackBook

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2007
Essex, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I doubt Apple will rely solely on the Mac App Store for iWork 11. Consider enterprises that use volume licensing - the MAS probably won't support it. Also consider areas where Internet speed is still at 56kbps, or even machines that don't have Internet access at all - I can see a fair few users that would be peeved if the App Store was the only way to get applications.

Also, there's nothing quite like having physical media.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
if iwork '11 doesn't have a built in reference manager like word 2011 does, i'm going to slap a baby.

Indeed. I would also like to see more customisation for footnotes, for example to remove the top line and to replace the superscript with another formatting. Currently you cannot change the former, and the latter only manually. In addition, they should really fix that annoying line-spacing bug. If iWork '11 takes these into account, I will gladly switch back. Word 2010 may be snappier, but is despite the ribbon interface still too inconvenient.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
My guess is that we will get iWork 11 on physical media, just not CDs/DVDs.

All foreshadowing the MBP redesign: NO ODD!!

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
Well, I bought the bloody thing, thinking that I needed it for work. At the time, I did, but it was because the employer was approaching their own work inefficiently.

Office is clunky on a Mac and is very bad on Windows. Microsoft have disabled many of OSX's great features that make work quick and efficient:

1. Save as keyboard short cuts are gone
2. Paste unformatted text shortcut is gone
3. Expose doesn't work properly - often randomly switching between windows when copying/pasting text
4. Backspace to erase and entire entry from the save dialogue is gone
5. Takes forever to open up and when it does, you can just have an empty screen, a document HAS to be open (takes time).
6. The unbroken interface bits are horrid, many of them icon-reliant rather than text. If you don't know what the icon means, you'll have a bugger of a time finding what you want.

There are many other reasons that I hate office for Mac, but mostly, it makes the Mac a completely useless tool. Whatever goodness you derive from OSX, you can throw out. Maybe that was Microsoft's intent all along, I have no idea.

My iWork 08 is far better than 2008 Office, not to mention the even more confusing '11 version.

For 19$, I'll love Pages, though I'll probably skip the other purchases.

i love the pricing. i wince every time i think of getting office

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Makes a lot of sense, they need to start it out with as many big apps as possible. I don't already have iWorks, so I may just buy the apps. I wonder how well it integrates with the iPad versions.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
i love the pricing. i wince every time i think of getting office

Sure. It's just that you get the Home and Student edition of Office for around 80 bucks everywhere in Europe - so it costs the same as iWork. Also, an average Microsoft Office suite has a SUPPORTED lifetime of how many years? Ten? In those ten years of using a supported MS product, you have to update an average Apple product AT LEAST five times, because once you update one product, you quickly have to update them all or the crap won't work properly anymore. So what is more expensive over the years? It certainly isn't the stuff coming from Microsoft.

Also just look at how many pay-for upgrade OS X gets, and then compare it to just two major upgrades that Windows had in the last 8 years.

marconiusrex

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Makes sense.

This does seem to make some sense. Apple lauching a new revision to their office productivity suite that can be immediately downloaded from the Mac App Store at it's launch! :)

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
So you think the retail box set will have iWork '11 on a USB key like the one provided for the MacBook Air?

That would be pretty sweet, but just how cheap do you think they can make those things? I mean, it's one thing to drop one in with a $1k machine, where the cost of the USB key would be <1% of the whole, but it's another in a software box in the $60-$80 range, where the cost of the key would be ~3%-5% of the MSRP. Compared to a DVD which would cost a few cents.

(This based on the fact that I see little 4GB USB "keys" at Staples for about $8-$10, routinely. Assuming the production cost on those is about 50%, that would be about $4-$5. If Apple could make their USB keys for half that cost, as they wouldn't be designed for extensive use, pocketing, read/write/erase, etc., that would make the Apple USB key about $2-$3, rounding off.)

None of this argues that they couldn't or wouldn't do it. Indeed, if the app store versions are $19 each, and the physical media is $79, then that extra $22 would easily cover the extra cost of packaging and media.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.