Apple Preps for Verizon iPhone Launch With New Bumpers, Vacation Blackouts

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

A YouTube video posted yesterday reveals that Apple has released new bumper models that are compatible with both the existing iPhone 4 and the CDMA iPhone 4 set for release on Verizon next month. With the primary difference in physical features between the two models being the location of the mute switch, Apple has widened the cutout in the bumper to accommodate either switch position.

Apple has also updated its online store with new "B" model numbers for the bumpers, replacing the original "A" models. The company has, however, yet to update its product images to reflect the modified mute switch opening.

Meanwhile, BGR reports that Apple has issued a blackout on vacations for its U.S. retail store employees between February 5th and 18th in order to handle the expected rush generated by the Verizon iPhone when it launches on February 10th. The company is also reportedly planning for extended hours at its store to handle the crush.

Claims of Apple limiting retail employee vacations had been one of key pieces of evidence narrowing down the expected launch date for the device.

Article Link: Apple Preps for Verizon iPhone Launch With New Bumpers, Vacation Blackouts

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
I'm hoping Apple comes out with a better selection of colours as well. I really like the Apple bumper compared to other similar ones, but would like a bit more excitement in the colours!

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I'm trying to work out what is funnier:

[1] The fact that this "issue" was solved with the smallest bit of lateral thinking i.e. — let's make the hole bigger.
[2] The fact that as far as I could see no one in the tech media or in comments suggested this as a solution.

As an aside, do you think there is an opening in the market for a D.I.Y. AT&T to Verizon iPhone bumper convertor kit. i.e. a sharp knife?

iPhobic

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
Why bother making a new bumper if the dock connector opening is still the same tiny cut-out? That's the weakest point of the Apple bumper!

possumwater

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2010
IMO, they def moved the button to not allow the new phone to get the "hand me down" bumpers. Now they made a new one, ppl will have to purchase the new style if they want one for the ViPhone. Very smart for them to recoup some money on it. (From a business perspective)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The bumpers are phony, a ruse to prevent Apple from having to explain why the Verizon phone works so much better than the GSM model.
This post is phony. How do you know how well Verizon will work? Surely you have tested it side by side with the GSM model?

Btw, Verizon can't even keep a static FAQ page up on the day of the verizon iphone announcement.

L-U-R-C-H

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
How about making a bumper that uses a soft inside so that it doesn't scratch the iPhone 4! I would stay away from the Apple bumpers guys...they'll ruin the metal on the outside of your phone.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
Man, the holiday blackout includes Superbowl Sunday. That's just wrong. Although...I bet the set of people who watch football avidly and the set of people who work at Apple stores has very little intersection...

richxps

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2008
i cant imagine how a bumper can scratch the phone so bad like that , i dropped my phone and the metal did not get hurt as bad as that pic

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
Guess that it's still possible to do a death grip on the phone...
A death grip is a problem on all mobile phones.

On can, however, "deathgrip" the AT&T iPhone with one finger tip in the right place. I hope the Verizon iPhone is different.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Even if the volume buttons of the 2 phones are slightly off, the buttons on the bumpers should still be functional. I guess it's easier to make one version of the bumper rather than two.

BriChi

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
they wouldn't fit the existing iPhone 4 though, didn't they move the volume buttons too.

Maybe this means the new iphone in June will be the same design as the verizon one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.