Apple Previews Carnegie Library Store in Washington, D.C. Ahead of Grand Opening on Saturday

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 9, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today previewed its upcoming retail store at the renovated Carnegie Library at Mount Vernon Square in Washington, D.C., just ahead of its grand opening this Saturday, May 11 at 10:00 a.m. local time.

[​IMG]

Apple says the store reflects its "most extensive historic restoration project to date," with the company working alongside architecture firm Foster + Partners and conservation experts to restore the building's distinctive early 20th-century Beaux-Arts style, including its marble facade and atrium.

Apple Carnegie Library features a revitalized grand entry plaza on K Street, a new grand entry staircase on Mount Vernon Place, a double-height atrium with an expansive skylight where Today at Apple sessions will be hosted, and a Genius Grove where the library's book stacks were previously housed.

[​IMG]
    Forum

To celebrate the opening, Apple will be hosting special Today at Apple sessions at the store between May 18 and June 29. The so-called StoryMakers Festival, led by GoldLink, Nigel Barker, No Kings Collective, and more, will focus on storytelling with photos, music, video, and art and design.

[​IMG]
    Genius Grove

Deirdre O'Brien, Apple's Senior Vice President of Retail + People:
    Jony Ive, Apple's Chief Design Officer:
    Carnegie Library also features a new D.C. History Center, which includes the Kiplinger Research Library, three galleries, and a museum store, all owned and operated by the 125-year-old Historical Society of Washington, D.C.

[​IMG]

Apple's plans to open a store at Carnegie Library were first revealed back in 2016. Apple CEO Tim Cook recently discussed the store in an interview.

Article Link: Apple Previews Carnegie Library Store in Washington, D.C. Ahead of Grand Opening on Saturday

2. Will.O.Bie macrumors 6502

Will.O.Bie

I'm blinded just by looking at the pics, that's a lot of white :eek:

3. ElectricPotato macrumors regular

ElectricPotato

It sits on the box or it gets the hose...

Is that a picture of Carrot Top in that display case?

4. Justin122 macrumors 6502

That bottom picture looks pretty bland. Will be very happy to see the back of Angela-era retail design.

5. SmackBookPro macrumors 6502

This is a beautiful place to be.

But don't get me wrong, I miss the Apple Store image engrained into my heart... those narrow single or two floor metal clad glass staircase that echo Steve Jobs from every corner.. With the Genius Bar at the back and hipsters passively aggressively fighting with each other to help you - which was fine, because they knew their stuff - and all those fond memories!

Now, my Apple Store is a shell of that where a bunch of 'people dressed in skinny fit Apple shirts' hang around, asking HomePod to play music, looking at you as they continue their conversation and when one does come over, doesn't have too much to say and when you initiate a conversation about "Glad to be back on the Mac" etc, they sort of just laugh and say 'yeah', making you feel like a real saddo for being a loyal Mac user. The checkout process now too is simply too straightforward. Back in the day, I was always offered to go and sit down and set my Mac up straight away upstairs if I wanted, and to give them a shout if I needed help etc.. far from that now :/

Anybody else share this experience?

6. eatrains macrumors 6502

Much better than the harsh and dim brushed-metal era.

7. WWPD macrumors regular

WWPD

I like the picture of Carrot Top, adds a nice touch.

8. xxray macrumors 6502a

9. G5isAlive, May 9, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2019

G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

10. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Create? More like consume. Create is more associated with the maker crowd like Arduino and Raspberry Pi.

11. JetTester macrumors 6502

I've never cared much for the minimalist style, but that's just a matter of taste. I do wonder what social media would be like if McDonald's made such a big deal out of every store opening. Scary thought!

12. joueboy macrumors 68000

This is probably Angela's last project it's fashionable and that's about it, it's not gonna be the old Apple Store experience anymore.

13. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

What? The beautiful outside building that is one of a kind or the inside store that looks like every other apple store from strip center, to shopping mall to train station to ...

I hear the building crying, a little.

14. edvj macrumors regular

Would not want to work in that white sterile light all day.

15. ElectricPotato macrumors regular

ElectricPotato

The wide screen aspect ratio is an improvement, but the box seats are a regression.

16. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

This was designed in the Angela Era ... just look at the very first 2 sentences from Diedre and which sections is mentioned first. It takes a while to restructure a store let along an entire building so less than 1month change in retail management is not going to have a significant change in this store at this early stage.

Anyone see any Genius Bar, I don't. roaming Geniuses still remain, yet more table space than typical stores.

17. Joniz macrumors regular

The Forum looks like the place to go when you want to take a dump.

18. BigBoy2018 macrumors 6502a

BigBoy2018

So they announced plans for this in 2016.
    If the mac pro is on the same timetable, lets see - announced in 2017 - it should be good to go by somtime in 2020.

19. iKnow1Word macrumors newbie

iKnow1Word

The Genius Grove seems like a pretty chill place I'd enjoy.

20. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I miss when Apple Stores were more simple

[​IMG]

21. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

There are Apple stores around which look a LOT better than this one.(Inside)

The outside is a different story, amongst the best

22. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

I disagree with the detractors. I think it looks lovely.

23. eatrains macrumors 6502

How is that at all more simple? The ceiling design has many more elements, the walls are much more complex, the surface finishes are more obvious...
    --- Post Merged, May 9, 2019 ---
    You've never seen an auditorium / presentation area before? What a weird comparison.

24. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

You can see every element of the store no matter where you’re standing. The Genius Bar is clearly defined. It’s unpretentious, it’s a store not a museum dammit.