Apple Previews Carnegie Library Store in Washington, D.C. Ahead of Grand Opening on Saturday

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
This is a beautiful place to be.

But don't get me wrong, I miss the Apple Store image engrained into my heart... those narrow single or two floor metal clad glass staircase that echo Steve Jobs from every corner.. With the Genius Bar at the back and hipsters passively aggressively fighting with each other to help you - which was fine, because they knew their stuff - and all those fond memories!

Now, my Apple Store is a shell of that where a bunch of 'people dressed in skinny fit Apple shirts' hang around, asking HomePod to play music, looking at you as they continue their conversation and when one does come over, doesn't have too much to say and when you initiate a conversation about "Glad to be back on the Mac" etc, they sort of just laugh and say 'yeah', making you feel like a real saddo for being a loyal Mac user. The checkout process now too is simply too straightforward. Back in the day, I was always offered to go and sit down and set my Mac up straight away upstairs if I wanted, and to give them a shout if I needed help etc.. far from that now :/

Anybody else share this experience?
I was in my local (Pittsburgh) store just recently, and I found that for the most part the traditional experience still exists. Within seconds of me walking in a roving headset-wielding dude came over to offer assistance. I had some questions about the battery replacement program. He was able to fully answer my questions, offer alternatives such as a phone upgrade, and fill in the blanks on a few other things.

I don't go into the store very often, but when I do it is either to take a first hand look at the latest doohickey released, or to go to a prescheduled appointment at the genius bar for a tech issue. The latter has not happened in years, so Ican't speak to whether that process has disintegrated.

Jonathan2019

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2019
Now, my Apple Store is a shell of that where a bunch of 'people dressed in skinny fit Apple shirts' hang around, asking HomePod to play music, looking at you as they continue their conversation and when one does come over, doesn't have too much to say and when you initiate a conversation about "Glad to be back on the Mac" etc, they sort of just laugh and say 'yeah', making you feel like a real saddo for being a loyal Mac user. The checkout process now too is simply too straightforward. Back in the day, I was always offered to go and sit down and set my Mac up straight away upstairs if I wanted, and to give them a shout if I needed help etc.. far from that now :/

I will say I share the same Apple Store HomePod experience though.
I remember going to my Apple Store and downloading games I wrote. I would then play them on the iMacs. It was great I didn't have to go to an Apple lab to test my software out. This was all before Gatekeeper and the Mac/iOS App stores. Back then I was usually the only person in the store besides the cashier. Sometimes a customer would come into the store and ask me about my game or the cashier would come over and watch. I have good memories of Apple back then. I will say one of the sales guys that works at an Apple Store closer to me started when the store opened and still works there.

Reactions: Redsep

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
I was in my local (Pittsburgh) store just recently, and I found that for the most part the traditional experience still exists. Within seconds of me walking in a roving headset-wielding dude came over to offer assistance. I had some questions about the battery replacement program. He was able to fully answer my questions, offer alternatives such as a phone upgrade, and fill in the blanks on a few other things.

I don't go into the store very often, but when I do it is either to take a first hand look at the latest doohickey released, or to go to a prescheduled appointment at the genius bar for a tech issue. The latter has not happened in years, so Ican't speak to whether that process has disintegrated.
I live in the Pittsburgh area as well and tend to visit either the Shadyside or Ross Park stores when necessary. I agree with you that the customer experience is still exception at both locations.

Reactions: G5isAlive

first-to-tea

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2018
Nice and shiny. That building was always beautiful before a mall store took residence. BUT ... rubbish use of a historical public building. How many Apple logos did they install on the exterior? Counted 3 or more. All the signs are typeset in Apple’s font. Screams ... Takeover?
[doublepost=1557429737][/doublepost]
I can sort of understand from a form reason why you would have boxes for seats, but functionally that looks really, really uncomfortable.
Tripping hazards too ?

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
That looks like an Apple store inside of a mall.

This is an Apple store not inside a mall:

Although I like the area, it must cost a fortune to rent the place. I rather see more efforts go into their products and if I want to go to an architect museum it doesn’t have to be an Apple store.

Dan08

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2007
Does anyone know if they will have a giveaway for the first 100 visitors (or whatever the number is)? I know they used to give away T-shirts at some new store openings...

mollyc

macrumors 68020
Aug 18, 2016
I think it's beautiful, especially for a building that was otherwise in disrepair and not used.

Reactions: SuperMatt

newyorksole

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

But don't get me wrong, I miss the Apple Store image engrained into my heart... those narrow single or two floor metal clad glass staircase that echo Steve Jobs from every corner.. With the Genius Bar at the back and hipsters passively aggressively fighting with each other to help you - which was fine, because they knew their stuff - and all those fond memories!

Lol this is definitely not the norm...

Apple Stores still have very talented Geniuses and people eager to help. They still offer to setup your device. Things have changed naturally, but it’s not every experience that is poor.
[doublepost=1557449210][/doublepost]
I've never cared much for the minimalist style, but that's just a matter of taste. I do wonder what social media would be like if McDonald's made such a big deal out of every store opening. Scary thought!
You know who makes a big deal over store openings? Customers Lol. Customers line up to see the brand new stores. Why wouldn’t Apple make a big deal out of such a nice store like Carnegie or any of the beautiful major flagships? You wouldn’t?
[doublepost=1557449698][/doublepost]
Looks better and what a great introduction:
Lmaooo oh please. Some of you really just can’t stand Apple these days huh? You’re really saying that you prefer the ORIGINAL Apple Store design?

You can’t appreciate Carnegie? Nothing will please some of you. It’s soooo sad. I feel sorry for y’all.

Reactions: G5isAlive