Apple Previews Carnegie Library Store in Washington, D.C. Ahead of Grand Opening on Saturday

sakurarain

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2018
Shanghai
very beautiful store...

but more, i hope Apple will put more focus on its clearly defined zone-functions as before (sales, tech service, skill training etc.). those walking-around unskilled stuffs should go now with angela.

Justin122

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2008
Much better than the harsh and dim brushed-metal era.
The 'brushed metal'/industrial aesthetic used to define their product branding and their core Mac-centric customer base (prosumers), which made it appropriate. However I guess it's hard to keep up such an appearance nowadays when your products reflect exactly the opposite.

eatrains

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
The 'brushed metal'/industrial aesthetic used to define their product branding and their core Mac-centric customer base (prosumers), which made it appropriate. However I guess it's hard to keep up such an appearance nowadays when your products reflect exactly the opposite.
There was also a time when translucent blue plastic defined Apple's professional look.

Reactions: G5isAlive and niji

niji

Contributor
Feb 9, 2003
tokyo
after this report, i now understand what the protests were about in other countries where apple retail store expansion into areas / buildings that have culturally significant resonance with the people living in those areas.

apple should stop appropriating buildings like this.

if these buildings are decaying and might even be demolished, apple can just contribute to whatever foundation is in charge of these culturally significant locations. turning them into retail shops is not helping anybody in any way.

apple probably more than any other brand at this point has had a long string of commercialization of culturally significant assets that are better off having other purposes found for them.

no more retail in locations in these kinds of places.

angela is now gone. thank god. lets meet at apple is a joke.

an iconic glass entrance-way above otherwise a basement, is a concept that apple also developed.
and it works. in NYC, in Shanghai. everywhere it is tried. increases value just as much.
and doesnt commercialize and trivialize an area's historical significance.
apple, build stores in all the places that are still waiting for them. so many states, so many countries.
stop with these grandiose strategies to make a branding point. we get it. we got it a long time ago.
it should have stopped when you realized the interest to service your debt on the hq spaceship.

no more versailles. no more melbourne federation squares.
no more Carnegie Libraries with no feeling left to them inside. what was this place before? no one knows or now even cares.
this is not preservation. its repurposing which innately destroys value by trivializing historical significance.

yes, Carnegie is exceptionally beautiful. its not about that. but it is actually about that.
you see, its now a store you buy cables in and get tech stuff repaired.

Last edited:

G5isAlive

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2003
Visit site
after this report, i now understand what the protests were about in other countries where apple retail store expansion into areas / buildings that have culturally significant resonance with the people living in those areas.

apple should stop appropriating buildings like this.

if these buildings are decaying and might even be demolished, apple can just contribute to whatever foundation is in charge of these culturally significant locations. turning them into retail shops is not helping anybody in any way.

apple probably more than any other brand at this point has had a long string of commercialization of culturally significant assets that are better off having other purposes found for them.

no more retail in locations in these kinds of places.

angela is now gone. thank god. lets meet at apple is a joke.

an iconic glass entrance-way above otherwise a basement, is a concept that apple also developed.
and it works. in NYC, in Shanghai. everywhere it is tried. increases value just as much.
and doesnt commercialize and trivialize an area's historical significance.
apple, build stores in all the places that are still waiting for them. so many states, so many countries.
stop with these grandiose strategies to make a branding point. we get it. we got it a long time ago.
it should have stopped when you realized the interest to service your debt on the hq spaceship.

no more versailles. no more melbourne federation squares.
no more Carnegie Libraries with no feeling left to them inside. what was this place before? no one knows or now even cares.
this is not preservation. its repurposing which innately destroys value by trivializing historical significance.

yes, Carnegie is exceptionally beautiful. its not about that. but it is actually about that.
you see, its now a store you buy cables in and get tech stuff repaired.

Blah. Blah. You honestly prefer to see it torn down? If the citizens won’t pay, if the government won’t pay, why should Apple Pay for restoration for restorations sake? It’s not like this happened overnight or that no one else had a chance. Don’t hate on Apple for being a successful business, hate on the community that did nothing.

Reactions: mollyc

niji

Contributor
Feb 9, 2003
tokyo
Blah. Blah. You honestly prefer to see it torn down? If the citizens won’t pay, if the government won’t pay, why should Apple Pay for restoration for restorations sake? It’s not like this happened overnight or that no one else had a chance. Don’t hate on Apple for being a successful business, hate on the community that did nothing.
"if these buildings are decaying and might even be demolished, apple can just contribute to whatever foundation is in charge of these culturally significant locations. turning them into retail shops is not helping anybody in any way."

soul-less tombstones of retail in a beautiful shell of a historical landmark is not anything that anyone can be proud of. apple didn't preserve anything other than preserving an ability to get alot of people thinking that it cares about historical preservation.

i bet apple can begin to see this - because of this extravagant level their retail location strategy has taken them, and their spaceship debt on their hq is costing them. at which ives is now "designing" a rainbow stage?!?!? wtf.

again, build beautiful, stores in states and countries that don't have them yet.
in locations that are designated for commercial/retail.
build modern pillars of capitalism where it helps ipso facto rebuild cities by the store's location.
apple has done this in many many locations in USAmerican cities.

[doublepost=1557527741][/doublepost]
View attachment 836268

Let's not kid ourselves. These people are waiting to see a Genius about their iPhone issues.
this. so true.

i didn't wake up this morning and say "gee, i want to meet up at apple. its a primary objective today, isnt it, angela?".

but popping into lectures about software that are given at scheduled times, i have done that so so many times (before), while waiting for a genius.
even after they started to give fixed time appointments i still would come about 30 minutes early in order to look at the product range or pop into those great tech-teach-ins.
it merged retail with advice with learning with repair.

apple, get back to customer focused issues. focus on helping us get our main purpose accomplished quickly in going to the store in the first place: launches (not lunches) and repairs (not sight-seeing).

Last edited: