Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
The age old question, should I get an iPad Air or a MacBook Air? I know that answer for my needs, an iPad Air with a keyboard. Now that the iPad Air will be released with a 13" Screen, the Apple to Apple comparison can be made. ;)

The costs.........

13" MacBook Air M2, $850, 8gb/256gb at Best Buy. $999 at Apple.

13" iPad Air M2 with Keyboard, $1148, 8gb/128gb at Apple. Add another $100 to get to 256gb.

That is quite the price difference and downright confusing to me. An iPad satisfies all of my needs but the price tells me I should buy a MacBook, which is overkill for my needs, I think? Am I not seeing something correctly here? Is an iPad with an M2 a superior processing device over an M2 MacBook that I am not aware of? Does Apple now consider an iPad more useful than a MacBook and warrants a premium?

Last edited:

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
Honestly, an iPad Air, with superior front and rear cameras and a touchscreen, is a technically more advanced device than a similarly spec'd Macbook Air. It seems strange, but it is true.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Honestly, an iPad Air, with superior front and rear cameras and a touchscreen, is a technically more advanced device than a similarly spec'd Macbook Air. It seems strange, but it is true.

I have to agree from a hardware perspective. I just find it hard to grasp that a "computer" can no longer do everything today but I can't deny that there are some great apps that just don't run natively on computers. I know with an iPad, I won't miss anything I do on a MacBook but on a MacBook, I would miss some apps so I just ponied up. ;) Looking forward to delivery next week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.