Apple Products Dilemma

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigbro1096, Apr 5, 2011.

1. bigbro1096 macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm in a pretty bad pickle. I finally got my mom to agree to buy my first generation iPad for $250, so I can get the iPad 2. Now here is the pickle. I am going to high school next year, and I want a more stable and powerful thing then the iPad or iPad 2. At the same time though I want the iPhone 5. So here is my question, should I sell my iPad for the iPad 2 and have no extra money afterwards, or not sell the iPad and get the iPhone 5 then save the excess money for the base MacBook Pro? Any idea will be helpful.

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Sell the iPad, get the iPhone 5 and a decent Macbook Pro. You can do so much more with a laptop than an iPad. But the next gen iPad

3. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Wow, 14 and you have all that stuff. :eek:

When I was 14, I had a phone that made calls and texted. And it wasn't in color. Lol. Dont sell the iPad, get the 5. I have both iPads and I would be perfectly fine with my 1st one. I still use it to watch movies. The bleeding looks ugly with movies.

Edit-Im selling my iPad 2. Not worth it anymore. The 1 suits me fine.

4. bigbro1096 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't be able to live with out my iPad. I use it for times like this when I'm laying in bed. I use to have a laptop but it was a pain in the butt. Thank you though for your help. Btw no matter what I'll end up with a MacBook pro, but this is just more of a how soon I'll be able to get it factor.

Lol yeah when I was 10 I had a little flip phone that was indestructible, but now my 10 year old sister is complaining because her iPhone 3G broke and she has to share an iPod touch with my dad and now she has an lg touch screen phone. SMH kids expecting too much these days. Anyways, the main reason I wanted to upgrade was because in all reviews they say the iPad 2 is super fast compared to the first. I guess I'll wait till like august and if the iPhone 5 isn't out I'll either save the money or get the iPad 2. Thank you very much for your help

5. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

How ironic.

Anyways, your priorities should be a computer and a phone.
    The ipad falls into neither category.

6. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Eh its not that much faster. At least where I live and how my WIFI and 3G are set up in my town. Wait until June 6th to decide. We should (hopefully) know by then about the 5.

7. bigbro1096 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haters will hate. I work for my luxuries! While most 14 year olds are sleeping during summer break I'm out mowing lawns so I can get the new iPhones. I don't see it being too ironic. Anyways I use my iPad as a laptop like I do research, type papers, and do the usual things I would do on a laptop on the iPad. Thanks for your opinion though
    Yeah that seems like the best plan right now. I truly will be upset if apple ends up not showing the 5 at WWDC! Thank you for your help and opinion

8. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

You're a child. Save your parents' money and get a MacBook.

9. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

If you want all this stuff, get a job... Maybe even two.

10. bigbro1096 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ugh! My parents don't buy me anything! I have a t.v., xbox, iPhones, and iPad all because of money from my birthday, Christmas, and mowing lawns! I am not like other children I work for this and they say, "go big or go home" so a MacBook won't suffice :p
    I tried! Here in Kentucky where I live there are 3 places that hire at age 14. Baskin robins, krogers, and I forgot the third. The third and baskin Robbins aren't excepting applications and I applied at krogers, but they haven't called back :( I need the job for my college (roughly $43,000 for pre-med according to ILP) and my apple addiction, but till I get a job I'm mowing lawns.

11. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

So instead of actually being smart and saving your money, you buy pointless toys and insist on a MacBook Pro when there's not a snowball's chance in hell you'll actually need it. Save for college, save for a car, save for the emergency fund you WILL need when you get to college.

I'm sorry, but you sound extremely spoiled and materialistic, whether or not your parents buy your toys.

12. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Why exactly do you need an iPad 2? I understand that it's slightly faster and so on, but most reports indicate that it really isn't worth upgrading for. If you already have an iPad, I would stick with that. No sense in depleting your lawn-mowing dollars for the iPad 2's relatively insignificant cosmetic changes.

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

In this economy, what makes you think that a 14 year old has a good chance at striking a job? Even so, I'm not even sure what jobs are out there for 14 year olds :confused:

OP: Here is the way I look at this. You already have an iPhone, and you have an iPad. While its nice to have the latest things, its not always necessary or economical. Why don't you just sell your iPad, keep your iPhone and buy a laptop. You probably won't need to bring your computer to school, but I still think its good to have, especially over an iPad because it will be more useful.

And why do people go and call iPad a luxury device? It's a toy. It's just like any other iPod or iPhone. Not necessary, but nice to have.

---------------------------------------------------

OP, I'm not trying to tell you how its done, but are you seriously applying for jobs just to keep up with the latest electronics? :confused: You should be focusing more on grades and stuff for college, than trying to work a job. I don't know, but it seems like a pretty young age. I think I would go crazy if I had to work a job now. I don't plan to work for a while lol.

14. bigbro1096 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I probably do. : / I do see myself needing a MacBook pro though for papers and work as I will be taking all advance placement classes next year, and I don't think the iPad will cut it. And it seems like what you are trying to say is that I have many luxuries when I should be saving my money, but truly that goes for everyone! Who needs a phone that can go on the Internet, a mini laptop, a regular laptop, when truly we should be saving our money or helping those who are in need like japan, so really everyone should be ashamed and no one should be accused of something because they are like the rest.

15. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I got my first pager when I was 15. I didn't send my first text message until I was well into my 20s.

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I can guarantee you that you will not specifically need a MacBook Pro for HS. And not sure about you, but I have 3 AP classes (while most freshman are only allowed 1) and none of my classes need a laptop. Not sure if you know how AP works, but you read, show up to class, take tests, repeat. (That reminds me, I still need to read the next chapter and its already 3:30 am :eek: ) If you're out of money, you could probably wait or buy something cheaper IMO.

17. milani macrumors 68000

milani

^ Agreed. Unless you're using Photoshop (extensively) you do not need an MBP to essentially use a wordprocessor and/or browse the internet. In fact, if you kept your iPad you could buy a 60 dollar bluetooth keyboard and have the same functionality.

You can't really blame the kid for being born into the technological age. It's sort of like people who were born before the television. I don't think anyone born since would consider having a TV in your house to be some sort of extravagant luxury. Times change, and we're all running to keep up. ;)

18. bigbro1096 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I don't need the iPad 2 other then I'm really wanting it because it seems nice, but it isn't a good reason to deplete my lawn mowing money, so I'll just stick with the iPhone and soon to be MacBook Pro.
    I want a job mainly for my college, it cost roughly $43,000 a year for pre-med and then I'll just put a little money to the side for me to enjoy, I.e. Electronics. As much as I don't want to have to grow up at a young age I think it is nessicary. I keep my grades up as I am taking two high school credit classes as an eighth grader and have had above a 98% all year in both those classes. Thanks for your insight.

19. wordoflife, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't deny you of being a good student. I'm in HS and speak from experience, but you really don't want to be working a job in HS. You'll be missing out on too much. It's just not worth it in the end, just for newer electronics. If you really wanna start working now, then go for it. But I think its just stupid when there are other things you could be doing in HS.

20. bigbro1096 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I really do appreciate your insight, but I'm just worried about all of the debt I will be in right out of college. On the other hand, my first year's salary as a cardiologist will be $150,000. Ugh, I'll just see where my first year of high school takes me.

21. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Oh I don't blame him at all. If I were his age now I'd be basquing in the glory of technology as well - my comment was more of a joke towards the post I quoted.

22. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Again, I'm not trying to tell you how its done, but don't you think theres something more to life right now than worrying about the money you will make when you are older (or now), or getting the latest toys. I understand you want the latest stuff (me too :p) but if you already have such high priorities (which you've indicated numerous times in your thread), then maybe getting a slightly faster iPad/iPhone isn't worth it. That's all I'm trying to get at.

If you lay back on your "wants" vs "needs" then you'll have spare money in the future to buy what toys you want when you need it.

I can honestly tell you that I'm not even sure of what a pager does or how it works :p
    The technology age is great though. I believe all my friends got their iPhones back in 6th - 7th grade. :eek:

23. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

When I was 14 I was expected to mow the lawn, I didn't do it for a phone or anything. What do you need all these things for, you're a kid, go have fun in the real world

24. Alaerian, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

You're so worried about the debt you're going to have after college, but instead of saving the money you're working hard for, you buy iPads and iPhone and other crap.

Sense. This makes none.

Most of us are adults. We have jobs and know how to budget money. We have savings accounts, emergency funds, and/or investments. We take part in a 401k and start thinking about retirement as early as the mid-20s (or sooner!). We don't "need" our iPads, but we can also afford them without any major financial burden. In your case, as a child, you can't afford this stuff. Sure, you think you can on first glance. However, if you actually sit down (preferably with your parents) and look at the cost of college (including the other money you'll need during it for books, entertainment, etc), it's a big chunk of change. College isn't even the only thing to worry about - there are expenses too numerous to list. Have any hobbies or extracurricular activities? Those all cost money.

25. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

If you're that concerned about debt, becoming a physician is not the path for you - I speak from experience.

I'm a third year surgical resident which means I've been an MD for three years now and the pay is peanuts. So don't think that once you finish med school you'll be pulling in the dough. My med school cost me $263K, as a third year resident I am currently making about 60K a year, I've still got two more years after this one until I make the real money.

Luckily for me I made some solid investments while I had the opportunity to do so, but most of my fellow residents weren't as fortunate.

If you want to be a doctor, it's gonna cost you - not money alone, but definitely a lot of money. Don't go into it worrying about the debt - you'll have plenty of time to pay it off (at least they hope you will).