Apple Promotes Powerbeats Pro in New Video Featuring Famous Athletes

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 15, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's Beats brand today shared a new video designed to promote Powerbeats Pro, Apple's upcoming wire-free earbuds that are similar to the AirPods, but designed with fitness and sports in mind.

The video features multiple famous athletes and a brand new single, "Saw Lightning," from Beck. Beck's new song was released today alongside the ad and is available on Apple Music. The video was directed by Hiro Murai, a Grammy Award winning filmmaker who directed the hit music video for Childish Gambino's song "This is America."

In the video, each of the athletes is wearing a set of white Powerbeats Pro while playing their respective sports, ranging from gymnastics to basketball. Beats says that the video is part of a new "UNLEASHED" campaign promoting the Powerbeats Pro.

Athletes featured include gymnast Simone Biles, boxer Anthony Joshua, tennis pro Serena Williams, basketball player LeBron James, soccer player Eden Hazard, rugby player Owen Farrell, boxer Ramla Ali, weightlifter Zoe Smith, basketball player Ben Simmons, football player Odell Beckham Jr., skier Kevin Rolland, skateboarder Leticia Bufoni, boulderer Miho Nonaka, snowboarder Shaun White, soccer player Alex Morgan, runner Ruddy Trobrillant, and ballet dancer Jasmine Perry.

Apple plans to release Powerbeats Pro in May, with the new earbuds set to cost $250 in the United States. A specific launch date is not yet known, nor has Apple said whether pre-orders will be available ahead of time.

Powerbeats Pro, officially announced in early April, share many features with AirPods, including the same H1 chip and sensors for features like ear detection, simple and fast pairing, easy swapping between devices, and Hey Siri support.

Powerbeats Pro also offer longer battery life at nine hours per earbud before needing to be recharged with the wireless charging case, and they are designed to better stay in the ears than AirPods with an earhook that holds them in place and ear tips in four sizes.

Apple has also said that sound was a focus with the Powerbeats Pro, and that they'll be able to hold up well to sweat.

For more on the Powerbeats Pro, make sure to check out our dedicated guide.

Article Link: Apple Promotes Powerbeats Pro in New Video Featuring Famous Athletes

2. nexesnex macrumors regular

3. calzon65, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019

calzon65 macrumors 6502a

calzon65

A bit more expensive than AirPods but you get more.

Wish batter life was a bit longer.

4. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502a

sidewinder3000

This is a classic Apple spot: graphic, iconic, and the visuals do the talking. The technique of keeping the earphones in the same spot on the screen, despite different athletes at different distances, is really engaging.

For sports, these seem like a great alternative (or supplement) to AirPods.

5. wdowell macrumors member

wdowell

Would love to know how they filmed this. Im guessing lots of post-edit zooming in and cropping but I havent much of a clue!

6. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

Gotta admit, I really dug the ad! I'm still trying to figure out what insights lead Apple to conclude that beige is back after it's retirement in the late '90s…

powerbeats 90s computer color.gif

7. NMBob macrumors 6502a

We used to aspire to make rocket ships. Now we aspire to make a basket.

8. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

It's not beige. It's white. It just looks beige on the product page. Go look at any hands on and you'll see it's clearly white.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 15, 2019 ---
    Really want these immediately. Will set a new standard for battery life on a single charge for fully wireless.

9. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502a

M.PaulCezanne

Makes sense. Gotta be a famous athlete to afford them.

10. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

11. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

This is the first Beats product I am interested in.

I would consider some over-ear headphones, but I want them to charge using Lightning, so that I don't have to carry another cable. That's one of the reasons why the AirPods are so convenient to me.

12. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

shot on iphone xs? :)

ugly buds, but nice video though.

13. PickUrPoison macrumors 68040

There were many different sports shown in this spot, and that’s your takeaway? Interesting.

14. truthertech macrumors 68000

No, Apple has deliberately made them a different shade of white. It's why they are calling them "ivory." It's smart as it will be less likely to show dirt/grime from your work out and to discolor in the sun.

15. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

It's not white. It's ivory.

Which is why Apple called it ivory.

16. truthertech macrumors 68000

Sony' great noise cancelling WH-XM3's got rid of the awful micro usb, still used by Bose!, and adopted USB-C, which is nice. Bose has definitely fallen behind the Sony's (only 20 hrs versus 30, no USB, sound not quite as good, NC not quite as good), but Sony needs to improve on connecting to multiple devices and phone call quality. Still waiting a bit to see if Apple comes out with the rumored OTE noise cancelling wireless.

17. PickUrPoison macrumors 68040

Or save up for a few weeks or months. Maybe pickup some extra hours.

Isn’t that what people do when they want something they can’t afford to just go buy?

18. jbryant705 macrumors member

Huh? Isn't it like 9 hours? How long are you thinking it could even be in that form factor?

19. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

I must say that I'm grateful to Apple for that video. I've been tying myself in knots trying to work out whether to buy them in Black or Ivory. Having seen them in action, Ivory it is.

Now PLEASE just get on and make them available to BUY, Apple. :)

Then I can FINALLY be rid of the stupid connecting cable on my Powerbeats, which I have to wear under my chin instead of behind my neck, as otherwise it pulls on one ear or the other. Which makes me look dumb, as if I don't know how I'm supposed to wear them.

20. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

Look for yourself. They look pretty damn white to me mate.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 15, 2019 ---
    Take a look here. They are clearly white regardless of what Apple calls them.

21. PickUrPoison macrumors 68040

They’re not my taste, but I was surprised at how few people were complaining about the looks in the thread where they were announced a while back.

Form follows function I guess, like the notch or the camera bump ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

22. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

So, they already have an ad for a product with no real release date?

23. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

Can only - and clearly - assume that you've never seen ivory, then.

Not everything in life is black or white.

24. truthertech macrumors 68000

LOL. As they say, when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.