Apple Promotes Powerbeats Pro in New Video Featuring Famous Athletes

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 15, 2019.

1. PickUrPoison, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019

PickUrPoison macrumors 601

Clearly off-white. Apple calls them ivory.

30DB099E-8989-4969-AB94-62F888694107.jpeg

2. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502a

M.PaulCezanne

Yeah, that wasn’t so much literal as a hyperbolic comment on the relatively high price for a pair of headphones.

Good grief.

3. PhillyOM1 macrumors newbie

PhillyOM1

I wonder if the people who thinks the Powerbeats pros are ugly, think the AirPods look good?

4. PickUrPoison macrumors 601

Oh I got that. That’s why I made that sarcastic comment about having to save for a few months or having to work extra hours for something with such a relatively low price.

Good grief indeed.

5. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

I'm more than happy to accept a slightly bulkier earpiece in return for dispensing with the connecting cable, which is a royal pain in the...

The connecting cable aside, I've found my Powerbeats to be much more stable whilst running than my cable-free Bose SoundSport (an older model than the current SoundSport Free), which needed constant attention to push them back in again.

This new version of Powerbeats looks to be the best of both worlds - whichever colour you might prefer.

6. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

Way to use a product photo instead of the real thing. These are clearly white, off-white, etc. But white regardless. And in reality they don't look like the photo you linked. This is what they look like. And pretty telling that CNET who has used them calls them matte white.

https://imgur.com/P2o78bW

https://imgur.com/xlRnrNv

https://imgur.com/kj99ofZ
    --- Post Merged, Apr 15, 2019 ---
    There is no digging here mate. They are clearly white.

https://imgur.com/P2o78bW

https://imgur.com/xlRnrNv

https://imgur.com/kj99ofZ

7. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Not really. A significant portion just whips out their credit cards.;) Unfortunately.:oops: They could do what I do and exercise a little patience. Wait for the inevitable depreciation to hit in ~6 months. Best Buy, Target, Amazon, etc. will have these PBP's regularly on sale for 70-75% of MSRP in no time. I'm probably gonna pick up a pair around Black Friday. See how they compare with my JE 65t's.

8. PickUrPoison macrumors 601

I’d say neither are exactly beautiful, but it depends on whose eye is beholding them.

The AirPod stalks are for microphone placement, and they sound great on calls. Powerbeats have ear hooks so they don’t fall off, and are larger for more battery life. Different designs, different uses, but form follows function.

9. aandre macrumors newbie

Didn’t Peter Thiel say that?

10. truthertech, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019

truthertech macrumors 68000

Admire that you won't go down without swinging even though you are surrounded by facts. Hang in there.

[​IMG]

They are actually smaller and lighter than the previous version.

11. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Yeah definitely won't see an ad with athletes wearing AirPods doing all those moves!

12. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

I heard they were making a model that mounts over the nose. They're calling them BrowBeats. Buh dum buh. ;)

13. jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

Yeah, what we need is:
    Bose QC35 noise cancelling quality, mixed with the feature set of the Sony WH-1000XM3, with the connectivity of the Apple H1 chip (with the bonus of having "AptX Low Latency" to watch real time TV broadcasts!)?

In two or three types:
    over the ear / in the ear / on the ear (as the third option).

How all that's going to ever happen, even without the H1 chip from Apple...? As no one offers anything like it, despite it mostly being about software. :-/

14. PickUrPoison macrumors 601

So off-white is white, and ivory is white... if you can’t see the difference, maybe you’re not using a color-accurate display like an iPhone/iPad/iMac?

25BE06DA-D241-4819-A280-3E93933D4CA4.jpeg

BB77A8E0-498E-4E7F-9BAA-BA3F43EC2031.jpeg

BD9B8AFC-6066-417A-844E-41E2B00B6CC4.jpeg

15. truthertech macrumors 68000

My wish list is a little different.

Comfort: Sony has gotten better each year and the XM3's are really good now, but Bose QC 35 are still a bit more comfortable, because they are slightly lighter and have slightly less compression.

Sound: Admittedly subjective, and noise cancelling leads to some tradeoffs, but Sony has the edge here.

Noise cancelling: All the objective testing, and most subjective reviews, show that Sony has now surpassed the excellent standard set by Bose.

Connectivity: Agreed that here's where the Apple magic with the H-1 would be great. Especially with fast switching. Bose allows connecting to two devices at the same time, Sony doesn't.

Battery life: With the XM3's, Sony blew past Bose 30 hours to 20 hrs and much faster fast charge.

Phone call quality: Sony has a lot of critics over call quality, Bose's is not that hot either. Apple's expertise could solve this problem.

Cord: I'll never buy another device with micro USB, which leaves Bose out. Lightning or USB-C is fine for me.

16. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

Ivory is essentially off-white. They are not the beige tinted depiction in the product photo from the Beats website, which was my original point before people felt the need to chime in and say otherwise, for some reason.

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

Well that's the old fashioned way of doing stuff.
    Nowadays folks just whine on the Internet about stuff they can't afford 'cuz it's easier.

As for me, these look nice, but the fact that they're merely listed as "sweat resistant" gives me serious pause. I've destroyed multiple "sweatproof" headphones from sweat thanks to lunchtime outdoor runs in Georgia summers, including big-name brands. $250 is a lot of money to drop on something I'm not confident will last.

18. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Even though I just bought a pair of gen 2 AirPods, I plan on purchasing a pair of these beats. Sweat proof and longer battery life will be welcomed on long runs.

19. PickUrPoison macrumors 601

Your original point may have gotten lost when you switched from “not beige” to “clearly white regardless of what Apple calls them.”

I can’t speak for anyone else, but that’s why I replied “clearly off-white” and “they’re not white”, which initially you had a problem with, but now it seems you don’t.

In any case, on my part I think I made too big a deal about the difference. My bad. :)

20. Will.O.Bie macrumors 6502

Will.O.Bie

Probably some unrealistic expectation like 21 days or something. Some people are just looking to complain about something and are never content.

9 hours of battery life is like 2.5 days for me with normal use. I'd say that's pretty damn amazing considering the sizes of these things. Apple keeps finding ways to maximize battery life packed in a small hardware, that to me, is incredible.

Most people complain about iPhone's battery life, but they don't want to understand that by using your phone heavily, battery will lose power, it's that simple. Maybe they shouldn't use their phone and the batteries will last 4 days in a single charge.

People's expectations are, "9 hours of battery life? What a piece of crap! I want it to last a whole month before I shell out $250 for a pair of ear buds." Unrealistic...

21. kryten3000 macrumors 6502

kryten3000

Still wanted them in Red

22. KGBguy macrumors regular

KGBguy

Ugly sons of a gun. I wonder how much Apple had to pay out to get those athletes to wear it LOL

23. kryten3000 macrumors 6502

kryten3000

24. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Exactly! Especially seeing the gymnast Simone Biles do her 720 (?) dizzying acrobats ... That alone explains a GREAT reason to have Powerbeats Pro ... nuff said. Yet why not show the soccer player do a header for a goal (to really show the shake such an action could do).

Now ... if this was fully shot on iPhone XS/XS Max with OIS working in full ... then we'd have a double marketing feature. Would be nice for Apple to credit not just the song but the Athletes as well.

Request: Apple allow me to trade in my 2mth old 1st gen AirPods please ;)
    The look a LOT better than regular PowerBeats 3 which Lebron has been a huge fan of.
    Hmmm. Well because most of launch and landings of Rockets hasn't lead to the better community (as large as), betterment of the common person, nor to the engagement of commodore as much as sports! Sure we launch satelltes but not nearly as much as all the launches have totalled. At least any child has a much better chance out of poverty with sport anywhere in the world and make a better living for her/his-self and their family and community than going into Rockets: doesn't require huge pay-offs to the best schools just to get a chance at a great education. Lebron has already contributed a huge lot of millions to schools and the next generation of kids in urban cities for a better education and his fully hands on about it.

So ... yeah come at is with rockets!
    LMAO you guys are classic Statler and Waldorf!
    [​IMG]

25. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike