Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
While Steve Jobs was and will always be "the man", its good to see a more level headed approach to running Apple. Maybe a little less of a chip on their shoulders.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
No, I didn't downvote you because you passively mocked those who might disagree with you. I downvoted you because your earlier comment seemed to have no insight or perspective into the ways these legal proceedings work:

This is not "ridiculous" of Apple to ask. It's standard business practice. MS gets patent royalties from Samsung. Motorola gets royalties from MS. Dolby from RIM.

You don't need to like the practice, but don't act all high and mighty like Apple is petty or pathetic to use this business strategy.

I'm not against Apple getting a patent royalty. If Google violated the patent then obviously thats there problem. I'm against such a high amount. Doesn't sound like a lot but its a huge amount for a licensing fee on a patent.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I'm not against Apple getting a patent royalty. If Google violated the patent then obviously thats there problem. I'm against such a high amount. Doesn't sound like a lot but its a huge amount for a licensing fee on a patent.

You do know that Motorola is asking 2.5% for their FRAND patents don't you ?

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003

I see your point, but it's also a fundamental tenet of negotiating to start high. If you want $1.50/device, you don't start there. You start at $5-15 and then agree to compromise for less. It helps your case if/when it goes to the courts because you can demonstrate a willingness not only to settle but that you even reduced the amount you were requesting.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
no point, Apple not getting anywhere with litigation - Samsung and Moto will just ride it out.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Last time I checked it most likely will violate a patent...
http://androidandme.com/2012/02/news/googles-notification-bar-patent-could-spell-trouble-for-apple/

The problem? It's still awaiting to be issued from 2009. Once its issued (currently no reason why it wouldn't be) then they will have a case.

Yeah. Patent advice from a fansite. Even if you go by their description, Apple doesn't even display notifications in the status bar. Hard to discuss though without the actual patent claims.

It's completely possible that iOS violates this potential patent. Of course, that has very little to do with your original claim that iOS is an obvious copy.

If it's determined Apple copied it, they deserve to get taken to court. Thats exactly what everyone here has been saying about android after all...or does it not work both ways. :rolleyes:

Not everyone says the same things and not all situations are the same. :rolleyes:

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Not sure which patents they are wanting royalties for here, but I think no matter what it needs to be a flat amount per device sold. That's the problem with Motorola's asking price on royalties -- they want a percentage. Other problem is that they are trying to get paid for patents that:

A) They have already been paid for (via Qualcomm, Apple's supplier)

B) That are FRAND patents (i.e.: Motorola's doing a bait-and-switch offer for FRAND, and then trying to extort adopters)

To me, patents have a fixed value per unit and that value should not change regardless of the selling price of the overall product. The selling price of the product may dramatically increase due to some other feature completely unrelated to the patent, hence percentage royalties (especially for FRAND) make no sense whatsoever.

On Apple's side, the "Kill Android" and "Spend Every Last Penny" philosophy that Steve Jobs took was never good business. Statements like that make share holders cringe. Business is business and personal is personal. Jobs tended to blur those lines. The only good business reason for Apple to refuse licensing of patents if they can:

A) Successfully prevent competitors from working around the patent

B) Successfully defend the patent in courts

C) Extract more market share due to the patent that would drive more revenue than licensing fees

D) Licensing the patent would dilute Apple's brand and commoditize their products

If the patent does not meet the above tests, then it should be producing revenue for Apple if it can.

Incidentally, I believe that Apple protecting its brand via legal action regarding "trade dress" makes perfect sense. However, the only Android manufacturer that aped Apple's packaging and marketing materials was Samsung, and even they do it a whole lot less now. Most of the photos I've seen of Samsung copying Apple are older products, though I think their power adapter is till a black version of Apple's. Though I think Samsung's change was due in part to Apple's legal action.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
I read somewhere (offline) recently an excellent article that Apple is wasting its time, money, and reputation by pursuing these patent wars (regardless of who is suing who)...and that Apple should just settle a few of them. In a settlement, nobody admits to wrongdoing...and if it costs $500 million in a settlement which takes 3 months, that's a lot faster and cheaper than years of legal fees (in tens of millions easily) and if Apple lost it would be much higher a price than a settlement.

Apple can't always be right...sure, protect yourself. But be realistic.

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010

I've read the patent already, but thanks for the link.
Care to discuss? I'll start.

Where does Apple's notification do this
in response to the receipt of the selection, displaying, in a central zone of the graphical interface, detail regarding a plurality of alert events for the mobile device, wherein at least some of the plurality of alert events correspond to messages received by the mobile device and the detail includes text from the messages.

If you think Apple's implementation infringes this patent then you'd have to accept this patent infringes webOS notifications :)

Last edited:

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
no point, Apple not getting anywhere with litigation - Samsung and Moto will just ride it out.

The way law works is very simple.

One party wants money
The other doesn't want to give it or not as much as is being asked.

In between the legal costs accelerate.

Since there is always an end to this at one point (either settlement or judgement) people need to decide how far they want to go and when to settle.

If both parties have plenty of money, nobody cries uncle, but looking at the total dollar picture some come to their senses.

Let's hope they all do soon!

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

That's a pretty clear description of the notification center, though Apple does not display it in response to the selection of a notification icon.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
That'll be the next lawsuit we'll see. Notification Center

Given how Steve Jobs was so convinced the entire Android system was stolen from iOS, I wonder if Apple had been working on Notification Center early on but just hadn't released it until recently.

Maybe a little less of a chip on their shoulders.

Yes, it'll be reduced to a microchip.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Hmm. It seems like it would be more valuable to Apple to prevent Android from having features that would help it sell than to make money off if it.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011

If you think Apple's implementation infringes this patent then you'd have to accept this patent infringes webOS notifications :)

Some of the specific details does not apply to iOS notification but if you read the Summary of the patent, then you can see how similar they are.

Check point 005 and 006.

Correct me if I'm wrong, it has been a while since I have used an iPhone.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Which is why cross-licensing under FRAND is much preferred. By the time you get done with your payments, you've paid 15 different people and been paid by 15 others to where you're breaking even. All you're doing is employing accountants at that point.

The problem is most of Apple patents are NOT FRAND patents. They don't have to use it, but a devices work much better when they copy Apple innovations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.