Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bilbo63

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
I'm not against Apple getting a patent royalty. If Google violated the patent then obviously thats there problem. I'm against such a high amount. Doesn't sound like a lot but its a huge amount for a licensing fee on a patent.[/QUOTE

Its on SOME Patents. As in plural.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
With the obvious difference that Apple doesn't display event notifications in the status bar. I don't know if that is enough of a difference to avoid the patent claims at first glance.

That is true but based on the summary of the patent, I think Google has a strong case.

I mean Apple did win over the Slide-to-Unlock. One could argue that Motorola's unlock is different because it does have any wordings. The court decided that it was not enough.

Renzatic

Suspended
a.gomez said:
no point, Apple not getting anywhere with litigation - Samsung and Moto will just ride it out.
As will Apple.

;)

And this is what makes this whole little sideshow such a huge waste of time. Out of the 50,000 odd patents disputes these various companies have fielded, they've won what? Three collectively?

Yeah. Way to reach for that brass ring everyone.

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
That'll be the next lawsuit we'll see. Notification Center that is...not a Skynet lawsuit :p

I'd actually have to support Android from that front as its VERY obvious that Notification Center is a copy of the Android notification center.

(Note to fans: Seriously...look at the two instead of down voting for once and see it, its as plane as the nose on your face.)

Copied Android??? You know, I could have sworn that Apple hired the guy behind MobileNotifier to improve the notification system in iOS...

If there was some copying then Apple should be held to the same standards. As far as I can see, and I'm no patent attorney, Apple should be just fine on this one.

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
That's a pretty clear description of the notification center, though Apple does not display it in response to the selection of a notification icon.

Exactly. Nor does it replace the text in the status bar, as stated elsewhere in the patent.

----------

And this is what makes this whole little sideshow such a huge waste of time. Out of the 50,000 odd patents disputes these various companies have fielded, they've won what? Three collectively?

As Google/Motorola likes to say, sometimes it only takes one to kill :)

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Copied Android??? You know, I could have sworn that Apple hired the guy behind MobileNotifier to improve the notification system in iOS...

If there was some copying then Apple should be held to the same standards. As far as I can see, and I'm no patent attorney, Apple should be just fine on this one.

I'm trying hard to be objective about this debate about the notification center. You don't need to be an attorney to read the patent that was written in 2009. Give a quick read of the summary and you will see that by law, Google has a strong case. It is true that a similar notification was available with jailbreak but I don't think that can be used in court.

----------

Exactly. Nor does it replace the text in the status bar, as stated elsewhere in the patent.

The text is only one part of the patent, the court lately has proven that this is not enough to defend yourself.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
I'm trying hard to be objective about this debate about the notification center. You don't need to be an attorney to read the patent that was written in 2009. Give a quick read of the summary and you will see that by law, Google has a strong case. It is true that a similar notification was available with jailbreak but I don't think that can be used in court.

----------

The text is only one part of the patent, the court lately has proven that this is not enough to defend yourself.
OTOH, a very similar pop-up notification system was present on the Apple Newton, so Apple could potentially argue that the Google's notification system patent is invalid based on prior art.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
OTOH, a very similar pop-up notification system was present on the Apple Newton, so Apple could potentially argue that the Google's notification system patent is invalid based on prior art.

Was there a patent by Apple for that?

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Wow, many Android handset makers already pay royalties to Microsoft for each handset made. Looks like Android won't be so "free" after all.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Was there a patent by Apple for that?
Not that I know of, but prior artwork can invalidate a patent, even after it has been issued.

Edit: I believe Apple has alleged that Andy Rubin, Google's Senior VP in charge of Android, and CEO of Android Inc., was heavily involved in the early development of the Newton just prior to leaving his post at Apple.

Last edited:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Some of the specific details does not apply to iOS notification but if you read the Summary of the patent, then you can see how similar they are.

Check point 005 and 006.

Correct me if I'm wrong, it has been a while since I have used an iPhone.

Summary 5 and 6 relate to scrolling notification in the status bar or similar location. My iDevices have never done this.

And as said, ignore the summary, although this one does appear fairly accurate.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando

The notification is not art, it is a function.

You're being impressively dense, aren't you? "Art" in this case does not mean artwork, as in a painting. It's a previous example of something being used in some medium, in this case in an on-screen display.

jW

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
You're being impressively dense, aren't you? "Art" in this case does not mean artwork, as in a painting. It's a previous example of something being used in some medium, in this case in an on-screen display.

jW

Not being dense, I know what prior art is. Hence I can firmly say that it has nothing to do with a software FUNCTION.

The only way I can think of that this could be prior art is if the Newton itself was the notification center and the whole concept of Newton was based around the notification. I cannot imagine using prior art as a basis to invalidate a patent for a function within the ''creation''

Last edited:

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
While Steve Jobs was and will always be "the man", its good to see a more level headed approach to running Apple. Maybe a little less of a chip on their shoulders.

For better or worse, I think that "chip on their shoulders" attitude has led to some pretty amazing products.

I'm just saying.....

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Thats a pretty ridiculous ask from Apple there. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they want them to reject it.

This is pathetic.

(I know, I know...down-vote me if it makes you feel big and special...it really hurts.)

I didn't down vote you...but I still feel big and special.:cool:

And anyway, I didn't want to hurt you....I'm a healer, you know.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafterman
"While Steve Jobs was and will always be "the man", its good to see a more level headed approach to running Apple. Maybe a little less of a chip on their shoulders."

For better or worse, I think that "chip on their shoulders" attitude has led to some pretty amazing products.

Never ceases to amaze me how people can be prone to telling Apple how to run it's company and that being a 'nice guy' is what corporate operations are all about. That after spending millions of dollars to attract talent, develop ideas, find newness in established methods and product designs, then engineer, design, produce, test, produce based on testing, market, distribute...it's not good to go after someone who takes what you did and profits from it.
If the proper penalty is a slap on the hands and "now you kids get along, no more fighting or you'll have a time out", then what's the point in risking all you've got to develop something unique? What looks like a chip on the shoulder could also be a head swiveling, constantly watching it's back because NOBODY else is going to. Nobody. This isn't recess at school.
On the other hand, if you think good things should be shared among all for the 'greater good' there's really no point in discussing it.
Don't know if people who set standards for 'niceness' have ever actually created and brought something to market, putting all they have at stake. Seems not, from some responses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.