Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
As the owner of a Starlight MBA, that puck looks more Apple Watch Rose Gold than Starlight.

Anyway, if color-coordinated MagSafe pucks/cables is the most shocking thing I read today, it’ll be one of the better days in some time.

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
Portless iPhone confirmed.
I certainly hope that is not the case. The simple act of grabbing a different set of headphones becomes a major PITA compared to just plugging them in.

You now have to pair them. If you have multiple pairs, you hope the phone remembers paring for all of them. Your friend or SO wants to borrow a pair, back to step one. Are they rechargeable? Make sure they are charged. It all just seems so much more involved than it ever needed to be for the majority of use cases.

I get that for some folks not having wires is really important, and if that’s the case, it’s clearly worth the hassle. But the thing is, these devices should support both wired and wireless audio.

It’s 2023! I hope a colored Apple Polishing Cloth is up next.

IMG_3332.jpeg
IMG_3333.jpeg

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Bought something similar before, and it stopped working with my AW the next day.
These companies aren’t big “proper” brands like Anker or Ugreen. They don’t have MFI-certified products. The design looks appealing, but why do big companies like Apple or Belkin sell them?
I’m a Chinese dude and I know that these stuff are unreliable.
Of course only idea is great. Agree with you on quality of MFI and good brands. I.e. IKEA MFi cable is great. ;)
Test passed with 100% real MFI and well made inside:

About this MagSafe creature:
I own this charger, it’s not great after I used it for few days.
I had to put heatsinks on back of it as it was overheating 11Pro with MagSafe case and Apple Watch is getting warm (which is not heating at all in original AW charger and Apple charger duo 2x usb-C, same goes for IPhone with original MagSafe to which I added heatsinks also for better battery life).

I put it as a show that technology is possible but maybe the heat is problem. Also AW is charged only with around 5W when using 20W charger

Last edited:

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
Amazing. This is M1 Macbook Pro all over again. It cost 2 cts to dye the charger, it is too much cost for this to happen. Apple was al about details like this, nowadays not so much.

Reactions: addamas

techcboy

macrumors member
May 29, 2023
Wow, what an outstanding innovation. Bravo.
No one is calling it innovation. It’s a prototype of a product, not Apple making a huge announcement about the craftsmanship that went in to creating a coloured MagSafe cable.

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
why did this thread so suddenly turn into a TC hate thread? damn. colored MagSafe options would be nice—if you recall, one of the (many) legacies of the original iMac was offering them in bold, translucent colors as opposed to the standard beige/grey/black dominating the market at the time…

yeah, iPhone MagSafe isn’t the same as MB MagSafe in terms of saving it from a trip, but the core concept is the same. it makes sense to name them similarly. and Apple is finally contributing to the open standard in Qi2…yall gotta chill sometimes

• Haha
Reactions: decypher44

MuppetGate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
Yes Steve was involved in products but he would NEVER have been able to be involved in naming a charger with Apple this size.
Yup, people forget that Apple is an order of magnitude larger than it was when Jobs was in charge.

But gotta love the notion that Cook is mediocre because someone’s phone will drop on the floor because (checks notes) he named it wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.