Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Providing Apple TV+ Subscribers With Three Months of Free Access, Extending Free Trial Subscriptions Through January

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is providing Apple TV+ subscribers with up to three free months of service that will last up to February 2021, according to Rene Ritchie. This free trial period will extend the year-long free trial periods of people who purchased a device beginning in September 2019 and signed up for access when Apple TV+ launched on November 1, 2019.

Those first Apple TV+ subscribers who had free access were set to have their trial periods expire at the end of October, but Apple is planning to extend that expiration date until February.

Those who signed up for the free year at launch will now be able to access Apple TV+ up until the end of February, based on subscription date. If you signed up on November 1, 2019, for example, your subscription will be extended until February 1, 2021. If you signed up on November 15, 2019, your subscription will be extended until February 15, 2021.

Subscribers who paid for an annual plan or a monthly plan will also be credited $4.99 for each month through February. 9to5Mac says that credits received by Apple TV+ subscribers who pay can be used on anything from the iTunes Store or App Store.

Apple TV+ adopters who signed up for their free year of service after a device purchase between November 2019 and January 2020 will benefit from the promotion that Apple is providing, with those subscriptions now expiring later than expected. Those who signed up for a free year after January 31, 2020 will not benefit because their free trials will already extend beyond the promotion limits. All paying subscribers will be receiving the $4.99 monthly credit.

It's not entirely clear why Apple has decided to extend the free trial offer, but it will be a welcome change for those who were expecting their Apple TV+ subscriptions to expire on November 1 and a nice bonus for those who pay for Apple TV+. The bonus months of subscription service will take some time to roll out and users may not immediately see changes to their plan expiration dates, but credits will be applied automatically with no action required on the part of the user.

Article Link: Apple Providing Apple TV+ Subscribers With Three Months of Free Access, Extending Free Trial Subscriptions Through January

Last edited:

GreenPixel

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2014
Looks like they will have more content in January. So perhaps they intended to have more available within the first year to keep people subscribed and couldn't get it done. So extend the freebie until the additional content is available and hope people start paying.

Comment

BGPL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2016
California
They didn't have the content they needed to keep customers interested - it was too soon. I find myself browsing but never watching anything on Apple TV. Netflix still manages to churn out a mind boggling amount of content. Hulu still puts out more watchable content than Apple, yikes.

As soon as my free time ends, so will my subscription. Same with Disney, but I didn't expect much from them.

Comment

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
They know people only watch Apple TV+ because it’s free, only a few would pay for it.

Based on what? That you personally don't like the content?
[automerge]1602181664[/automerge]
They didn't have the content they needed to keep customers interested - it was too soon. I find myself browsing but never watching anything on Apple TV. Netflix still manages to churn out a mind boggling amount of content. Hulu still puts out more watchable content than Apple, yikes.

As soon as my free time ends, so will my subscription. Same with Disney, but I didn't expect much from them.

Again. What is this based on? Pure speculation or do you have access to viewer stats that no one else is privy to?

Comment

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68030
Feb 24, 2009
I'm getting subscription-fatigue...Netflix, Hulu, Apple TV, Apple Music, Disney+, Office 365, Adobe.

AHHHHHHH!

I’m not. All this content for the cost of a few trips to McDonald’s is great. No reason to carry all these streaming services for 12 months a year.

Reactions: NetMage
Comment

yaxomoxay

macrumors demi-god
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
And I cancelled my free subscription 3 days ago... Yikes.

Be happy.
I cancelled mine yesterday!
[automerge]1602181722[/automerge]
I'm getting subscription-fatigue...Netflix, Hulu, Apple TV, Apple Music, Disney+, Office 365, Adobe.

AHHHHHHH!

You just need to time them and cyclically use them.

Comment

Northern Man

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
We have a winner!

Apple TV+ makes sense as an added incentive to purchase new hardware. As a standalone subscription, there isn't enough value in Apple TV+ as compared with other streaming services.
i hope you are not seriously saying that if someone is trying to decide whether to purchase new Apple hardware that they may be swayed to hand over their money if they get AppleTV+ for free.

Comment

hlfway2anywhere

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2006

Apple TV+ adopters who signed up for their free year of service after a device purchase between November and January of 2019 will benefit from the promotion that Apple is providing, with those subscriptions now expiring later than expected. Those who signed up for a free year after January 31, 2019 will not benefit because their free trials will already extend beyond the promotion limits.

AppleTV+ did not exist in January of 2019, as much as we want to pretend 2020 doesn't exist...

Comment

Realityck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
It's not entirely clear why Apple has decided to extend the free trial offer, but it will be a welcome change for those who were expecting their Apple TV+ subscriptions to expire on November 1 and a nice bonus for those who pay for Apple TV+.
I think it is a nice marketing gesture, especially since there are a lot of people still economically effected by the pandemic as we head for the holidays.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.