Apple Publicly Responds to Complaints of Purple Lens Flare on iPhone 5 Photos

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 6, 2012.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Soon after the release of the iPhone 5, some users began noticing a purple flare or halo showing up in photos taken with the device's camera pointed at or near bright light sources. The issue is certainly not unique to the iPhone 5, but it has caused concern for some users.

[​IMG]
    Photos with purple flare taken by iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 (Source: The Next Web)
    Last week, Gizmodo reported that Apple had responded to address the issue, with Apple's support staff providing an emailed response to a user inquiring about the purple flare. According to Apple's engineers, the issue is indeed normal and users are advised to point their phones away from bright light sources when taking photos.
    Following that private email response regarding the issue, Apple has now posted a public support document recommending similar action to minimize the issue.
    The iPhone 5 uses a similar camera to that found in the iPhone 4S, although Apple reduced the camera's thickness by 20% in order to fit into the thinner body of the iPhone 5. Apple did, however, add a several enhancements to the camera in the iPhone 5, moving to a sapphire lens cover, improved image signal processing and noise reduction, and a new dynamic low-light mode.

Article Link: Apple Publicly Responds to Complaints of Purple Lens Flare on iPhone 5 Photos

2. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

So basically... you're holding it the wrong way ;)

4. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

I imagine it's some coating of the lens. If you want to take a picture with the sun slightly out of frame then I guess you're screwed. Big deal.

5. Gage macrumors regular

6. shadowbird423 macrumors 6502

shadowbird423

Saying something without saying something. Bravo.
    Some things never change I guess..

7. yrsued macrumors regular

Really??

You get Lens Flare and Chromatic Aberrations when you point your camera at the sun??

DUH!!!

This happens with ANY camera!! I have made my living behind the lens for the past 27 years and this happens with every lens!!

Y

8. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

9. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

So I am holding it wrong...all over again? :eek:

They must have an "antennae-gate" template on their macs somewhere; their response even reads the same as Steve's now-famous response. :D

10. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

Yes everyone takes a a picture directly AT THE SUN

11. taedouni macrumors 65816

I love Apple but I think that they have a lot of ignorant fans. Lens flare is not a new thing. Does it really matter what color the flare is?

12. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

13. McGilli macrumors 6502

I had this issue going back to my Epson PhotoPC digital camera from 1997.

HOw anyone could ever think this is a new 'defect' is beyond me, unless it's your very first digital camera.

14. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

15. KPOM macrumors G5

Except this time it's true. Even Apple isn't exempt from the laws of physics. When you make a camera lens thinner, you generally have to make compromises. Apple admitted as much during the keynote.

That said, at least the purple halo appears in the view finder, so you know if it affects you that you'll need to reposition the phone.

16. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

"It's not the camera, you're taking pictures wrong!"

17. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Thank you for having sense.

18. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

Why do you respond to anything Gizmodo says??! It's like responding to Fox News. It's just feeding the trolls.

19. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

My iPhone Camera doesnt operate like a 500$ Digital SLR, it is all Apples Fault!

20. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

It's not the fans making an issue out of it. It's the anti-apple zealots and link baiters. Pathetic.

21. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Look, say what you will, but I never had as strong of a flare effect when I took pictures on my iPhone 4. So yes, the issue exists with all cameras due to the laws of photonics, bla bla... but, the issue is more pronounced on the iPhone 5 than before.

22. MacVault macrumors 65816

If only Apple would now acknowledge and address the horrible iPhone 5 battery life issue!

23. Apple Poptart macrumors member

People should really spend a few minutes reading on the dynamics of light, lenses, and cameras before they criticize something they don't understand.

24. TheWhiteBox macrumors newbie

What the hell? People will find anything to complain about.

25. econgeek macrumors 6502

I think its astounding that people are taking bad photos and blaming it on Apple.

Lens flare happens with every camera in the world. It is intrinsic to the physics of glass and light. It is intrinsic to photography.

People getting upset about this--like those idiots complaining about Apple maps-- just show me that people really *are* getting stupider as time goes on.