Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has removed the 4K LG UltraFine Displays from its online Apple Store in the United States, continuing a trend of pulling the display from its online stores around the world. Before disappearing from the store, the display had been listed as "Sold Out" for quite some time.

It's not clear why Apple has stopped selling the 4K LG UltraFine Display, but it is several years old at this point, having first debuted in 2016.

lgultrafine4k-800x517.jpg

The 4K and 5K UltraFine Displays were designed by LG in partnership with Apple and were created to be used with the 2016 13 and 15-inch MacBook Pro models, which supported Thunderbolt 3 for the first time.

The 21.5-inch 4K LG UltraFine Display offered a resolution of 4096 x 2304 with support for P3 wide color gamut and 60W of power delivery for charging a MacBook. It was selling from Apple for $700 before being pulled from the online store.

LG recently debuted a new 4K UltraFine Display, but this new model, priced at $1300, was not designed in partnership with Apple and it doesn't seem like Apple is planning to replace the existing model with this one in its retail stores.

Apple is still selling the LG UltraFine 5K Display for $1300, and Best Buy is continuing to offer the original UltraFine 4K Display from 2016 for its original $700 price, suggesting it has not been discontinued by LG.

Apple is working on an Apple-branded display that will be sold alongside the high-end high-throughput modular Mac Pro that's in the works, but with a rumored 6K resolution and a 31.6-inch screen size, it's sounding like it's going to be ultra high end (and expensive) and not a replacement for traditional 4K and 5K displays.

Article Link: Apple Pulls 4K LG UltraFine Displays From Online Apple Store in U.S.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
"but with a 6K resolution and a 31.6-inch screen size, it's sounding like it's going to be ultra high end (and expensive) and not a replacement for traditional 4K and 5K displays."

The pace of technology that 5k is now considered 'traditional.' Well hopefully they will come down in price further. Btw, I noted that a month ago you could buy a 5k in the Apple store (brick and mortar), but now they are all gone from my area. Another sign something is coming.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
The new one looks, infinitely, leagues better than the prior one supposedly 'designed in partnership with Apple'.

Perhaps that's why - they did better on their own, and Apple has no obligation to sell either.

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
Most Apple computers don't even have the processing power or ram to even edit 4k video so I don't even know why they are pushing 4k monitors.

its not about video for most.

its about a clean sharp display to view your work on.

Have been using my 5K and 4K externsals for years and years, all for non video work.

1080pi makes my eyes bleed when i look at it now.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The LG monitors had issues in the beginning that need to be patched/fixed. I’m sure Apple wasn’t too happy about that. Apple probably thought LG can do a good job, but didn’t. So Apple decided to go back making their own monitors again.

Hopefully this trend continues into software with the revival of Aperture. Somebody needs to give Adobe some competition.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I wonder if they figured out the burn-in/ghosting issues. I was at the Apple Store a few days ago and saw one of the 5K displays connected to the Mac Pro, and it had severe burn-in. Not only could you see the windows/dock/menu bar if you open something else, but you can also clearly see the desktop. It's like someone took a screenshot and permanently overlayed it over the display at 50% opacity. I wonder what causes this kind of phenomenon.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I'm trying to wait for the New New Mac Pro, but I have been pricing out components to build a new PC if they either continue to delay or screw it up.

I'm not going to be locked out of Nvidia cards, since I need to use my Mac Pro as both a Windows machine and a Mac.

Hopefully this is a signal that they are about to announce new display and new Mac Pros. At least I'll know if they over engineered what should be an easy sell; A modern modular machine in a single case.

Reactions: xnu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.