Apple Pulls 4K LG UltraFine Displays From Online Apple Store in U.S.

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 19, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has removed the 4K LG UltraFine Displays from its online Apple Store in the United States, continuing a trend of pulling the display from its online stores around the world. Before disappearing from the store, the display had been listed as "Sold Out" for quite some time.

It's not clear why Apple has stopped selling the 4K LG UltraFine Display, but it is several years old at this point, having first debuted in 2016.

[​IMG]

The 4K and 5K UltraFine Displays were designed by LG in partnership with Apple and were created to be used with the 2016 13 and 15-inch MacBook Pro models, which supported Thunderbolt 3 for the first time.

The 21.5-inch 4K LG UltraFine Display offered a resolution of 4096 x 2304 with support for P3 wide color gamut and 60W of power delivery for charging a MacBook. It was selling from Apple for $700 before being pulled from the online store.

LG recently debuted a new 4K UltraFine Display, but this new model, priced at $1300, was not designed in partnership with Apple and it doesn't seem like Apple is planning to replace the existing model with this one in its retail stores.

Apple is still selling the LG UltraFine 5K Display for $1300, and Best Buy is continuing to offer the original UltraFine 4K Display from 2016 for its original $700 price, suggesting it has not been discontinued by LG.

Apple is working on an Apple-branded display that will be sold alongside the high-end high-throughput modular Mac Pro that's in the works, but with a rumored 6K resolution and a 31.6-inch screen size, it's sounding like it's going to be ultra high end (and expensive) and not a replacement for traditional 4K and 5K displays.

Article Link: Apple Pulls 4K LG UltraFine Displays From Online Apple Store in U.S.

2. gugy macrumors 68040

gugy

I can only hope the Apple new displays and Mac Pro are finally around the corner. Maybe at WWDC. About damn time.

3. Roscorito macrumors member

Roscorito

Hope this means the 6k will be accompanied by a smaller 4K miniLED option that can be bought for one kidney, as opposed to two.

4. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

"but with a 6K resolution and a 31.6-inch screen size, it's sounding like it's going to be ultra high end (and expensive) and not a replacement for traditional 4K and 5K displays."

The pace of technology that 5k is now considered 'traditional.' Well hopefully they will come down in price further. Btw, I noted that a month ago you could buy a 5k in the Apple store (brick and mortar), but now they are all gone from my area. Another sign something is coming.

5. Asarien macrumors 6502

It's happening.

LG's non-UltraFine displays are great, but the UltraFines had an extremely high fail rate.

6. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

That's what I'm hoping for. I don't need 6K or 31". But a nice decent-sized Apple-designed 4K display would be perfect.

7. SkippyThorson macrumors 68000

SkippyThorson

The new one looks, infinitely, leagues better than the prior one supposedly 'designed in partnership with Apple'.

Perhaps that's why - they did better on their own, and Apple has no obligation to sell either.

8. Apple Master Suspended

Apple Master

Most Apple computers don't even have the processing power or ram to even edit 4k video so I don't even know why they are pushing 4k monitors.

9. squizzler macrumors regular

squizzler

Well, Apple Master, you must know that RAM is configurable at point of purchase.

10. JesperA macrumors 6502a

Exactly, because computers only use-case is editing 4k video, computers are not used for anything else

11. macsplusmacs macrumors 6502

its not about video for most.

its about a clean sharp display to view your work on.

Have been using my 5K and 4K externsals for years and years, all for non video work.

1080pi makes my eyes bleed when i look at it now.

12. Niko Todd macrumors member

Niko Todd

Sorry but this is the dumbest comment ever!

13. MKevin3 macrumors newbie

MKevin3

Apple afraid to sell something that several years old? Now you are just making me laugh at work for no good reason.

14. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

I wonder if this means new products are coming at WWDC. I can’t see this being a thing they announce via a press release.

15. pika2000 macrumors 603

The LG monitors had issues in the beginning that need to be patched/fixed. I’m sure Apple wasn’t too happy about that. Apple probably thought LG can do a good job, but didn’t. So Apple decided to go back making their own monitors again.

Hopefully this trend continues into software with the revival of Aperture. Somebody needs to give Adobe some competition.

16. az431 macrumors 65816

az431

My 2014 iMac edits 4K video without breaking a sweat. In any case, what does that have to do with monitor resolution?

17. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

Damn Apple, always gotta do me dirty

18. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

I wonder if they figured out the burn-in/ghosting issues. I was at the Apple Store a few days ago and saw one of the 5K displays connected to the Mac Pro, and it had severe burn-in. Not only could you see the windows/dock/menu bar if you open something else, but you can also clearly see the desktop. It's like someone took a screenshot and permanently overlayed it over the display at 50% opacity. I wonder what causes this kind of phenomenon.

19. nlistgarten macrumors member

I would think that too, but they did do a bunch of updates via press release recently. Also WWDC is still 6 weeks away, so it’s a bit early to be pulling stock.

20. cmaier macrumors G5

True, since it’s impossible to use all those pixels for anything other than editing 4K videos.

21. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

I'm trying to wait for the New New Mac Pro, but I have been pricing out components to build a new PC if they either continue to delay or screw it up.

I'm not going to be locked out of Nvidia cards, since I need to use my Mac Pro as both a Windows machine and a Mac.

Hopefully this is a signal that they are about to announce new display and new Mac Pros. At least I'll know if they over engineered what should be an easy sell; A modern modular machine in a single case.

22. StevieD100 macrumors 6502a

StevieD100

So the 4K video editing that I shot with my Nikon Z6 and edited earlier today on my 27in iMac was a figment on my imagination then?
    It wasn't so...?

23. Stevez67 macrumors member

Stevez67

Hmmm ... troll much?

24. JetTester macrumors 6502

It's always smart to take a product off the shelf when all you can replace it with is a promise of something that is only vaporware now.

25. Roscorito macrumors member

Roscorito

Yup. Much more excited by the HDR possibilities than the extra pixels. If it has ProMotion/120hz as well, I’ll be ecstatic.