Apple Pulls App for Creating Fake Driver's Licenses Following U.S. Senator's Complaint

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 12, 2011.

1. newrocket macrumors newbie

This is the only bad side of an app store :(

Why does apple let the government interfere :confused:
    If this would get sorted out the app store would be the best thing ever !! :apple:
    They should let any app on the app store regardless of the content... the only concern should be if the app does whats advertised, it doesn't crash and that its checked for malware.

2. Truffy macrumors 6502a

Truffy

Yeah, that had me scratching my head too. Has the senator in question ever heard of PhotoShop? And then there's...
    QFT

3. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

don't forget Hitler!

4. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

They can do it, but keep the Appstore.It will then be at the discretion of the user. A bit like mac, and if they can still implant the sandbox, then security will be tighter. And they can work towards any recorded malwares just like in mac. So Everyone wins!

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

6. Powerbooky, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

Powerbooky macrumors regular

Powerbooky

What a load of BS! What's next? A law that enforces anyone to be screened by the FBI anytime when they use Photoshop/Illustrator? Dumb senators pose way more threat to public safety than a silly app displaying driver licenses on a screen.

7. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Take it from a 21 year old university student, no one uses their fake ID at the liquor store. Those are the places that card you with the most scrutiny. Any real club or establishment swipe ID's for authenticity. Pretty much the only way to be underaged and get alcohol from a legit establishment is by finding yourself a legit ID from someone who looks exactly like you.

What fake ID's are usually used for is going to clubs/bars that are known to allow minors. You give your crappy ID just so they can say "hurr durr he gave us ID" if the police come in.

8. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Driver's licenses in Canada are printed on plastic, not laminated paper. Problem solved.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Yes, don't...

10. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I'm not listening to any crud. I'm speaking from experiencing it myself.

11. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

I'm from PA. Bob Casey is worthless. He's got a tough election coming up and is trying to do anything and everything he can to make it look like he's accomplished something other than bootlicking in Washington.

"Voters...let me assure you...I can and have sent very effective emails! And I'll do it again!"

12. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

I think nearly all if not all US licenses are on plastic now as well. This is a useless novelty gimmick that wasn't going to fool anyone.

13. HKUSP.40 macrumors regular

It's ONE app out of over 1/2 a million...:rolleyes: It was sketchy anyway. Who cares if it got shut down. It shouldn't have ever been allowed in the first place.

14. ivladster macrumors 6502

ivladster

a person who wants to get a fake ID will get it no matter if there's an app for that or not. just ask some 10million plus people in US.

15. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

... or anyone with a copy of Photoshop.

16. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

It was mentioned right in the article that people could email themselves the results as a high-resolution image, which could then be printed and presumably laminated or whatever to make it look all official-like.

Yeah, I have a hard time believing anybody would fall for this where it truly matters (police, TSA, liquor stores, clubs) but I'm sure there are places that only give passing glances to the IDs.

17. kingtj macrumors 68030

Exactly ....

I'm not saying I'm upset this app is gone from the App Store, or arguing its "many constructive uses" ... but government has no business butting in and making demands that a company remove such programs from their online store.

If the app is truly illegal in some way, then deal with it at the source! Get a warrant to arrest the developer who made it! Otherwise, go do something more useful with your time!

The idea that this enables the easy counterfeiting of drivers' licenses seems pretty laughable to me anyway. For starters, I can think of few devices LESS printer-friendly than the iPhone/iPad/iPod touch. You have to purchase either one of a handful of specific printers, or use 3rd. party products just to print from one in the first place. Making a convincing copy of a drivers' license is much more a matter of having the right type of printer, correct paper to print on, and proper laminating equipment than anything else.

I know here in Missouri, the old license in shiny laminate has LONG been out of use. The licenses they've issued for quite some time now are basically a semi-gloss textured plastic material. Seems to me the biggest challenge to copying one would be obtaining suitable (and printable!) blank material of the same type!

18. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

You ruined it. The joke was over at pedophiles.

19. objc macrumors regular

This should stop the rash of alcohol sales to under-21s who were able to pull it off by showing the clerk their ipod touch.

20. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

An obvious move. Otherwise, not much to see here.

21. JHankwitz macrumors 68000

I would rather Apple only allow 'safe' apps on my iDevice rather than any old hack that could corrupt my system or information. They, by far, are able to protect my data from hackers than I am. If I didn't care about this I would likely be using a Windoz PC and Android. But, I do care, and that's why I always have been and will always remain 'only Apple'.

22. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

hold on.. are you for real? :rolleyes:

23. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

It's illegal to make fake government issued identification. I don't see why people are surprised by this or arguing that the app should have remained in the store.

24. Jaredly macrumors member

I see why apple did what they did, but the reality is that it is so easy to get a fake ID. I am in college right now and I can name you at least 10 websites that make the ID's for you.(given they are 50 bucks and illegal but...) I think the senators should be more worried about these people shipping fake ID's than an app that maybe some people can make into a fake ID. You would have to be pretty savvy to take a pic on that app, send it to yourself, print it at just the right size, right materials, and get the right security security features. But anybody can go to this site pay $50 and get an ID. Which do you think is more dangerous?

25. AmpSkillz macrumors regular

AmpSkillz

So you think it's ok for Apple and the government to decide what is allowed to be installed on your iDevice.

So you DON'T think it's ok for Apple or the government to decide what is allowed to be installed on your iDevice.

little confused