Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Three hours after releasing the second betas of iOS 17.3 and iPadOS 17.3, Apple has pulled the updates from the Developer Center and over the air, meaning they are no longer available to download and install.

iOS-17.3-Buggy-Feature.jpg

Apple has removed the iOS 17.3 and iPadOS 17.3 betas after a number of people reported that the software is bricking devices. According to reports on the MacRumors forums, Twitter, and Mastodon, some iPhone owners who updated found their devices stuck in a boot loop.

The only fix to the issue appears to be restoring a stuck device, which is why Apple has pulled the update. Once the bug is addressed, Apple will re-release the beta.

There are reports that suggest the iOS 17.3 boot loop bug could be related to the Back Tap setting. A log shared by developer Guilherme Rambo indicates that a Back Tap setting caused his device to crash, and there have been several other affected users who have Back Tap enabled in some capacity.

Some others who had Back Tap enabled were able to install the update, and others who did not have the feature on had the booting issue, so it is not entirely clear how Back Tap is involved.

Article Link: Apple Pulls iOS 17.3 Beta 2 Due to Boot Loop Issue

Last edited:

MNWildFan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Wow, MR was quick to pounce on this

After a problem-free install on my 15, was just about to install this on my 6th gen iPad mini only to see this and software update on there for now at least showing that it's up to date

Hopefully a quick fix for the re-release isn't too far behind

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
The update would roll out based on its build number. If someone was already on b2 but then an updated b2 comes out, since it would be a higher build number, all would see that update.

Reactions: CarAnalogy

MNWildFan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota, USA
The update would roll out based on its build number. If someone was already on b2 but then an updated b2 comes out, since it would be a higher build number, all would see that update.
Yup, that's what I thought and that makes total sense given that the fixed beta 2 would be a different build #

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Thank you MR for keeping up with news on things like this. Lately I’ve been installing the RC after a day or two because I count on you to let me know if it gets pulled. Hasn’t yet, and it’s been the same as the final ever since 17.0 at least.

It’s a developer beta 2, no end user should have ever installed this, and even developers should not have installed it on their main device, especially without having a restorable backup as mentioned in the article.

I’m as critical as anyone (reasonable) could be about some of the things Apple does especially regarding their software development process lately, but cut them some slack. It didn’t brick every device, and it didn’t get anywhere near a final release to end users.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
Actually, it's more like an alpha. Beta releases should already be tested well enough that they don't brick significant numbers of devices. Unless you are 2024 Apple and growing sloppier.
It's a developer beta, not even a public beta (which also is a risk to run anyway). It is not intended for production devices for a reason. Just because some members of the public don't understand what a beta is, doesn't mean Apple is labeling it wrong.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
This company is a shell of its former self. Nothing but garbage coming out of them the past couple years.
You mean a shell of the company who released Mac OS X snow leopard with a bug that would erase an entire user’s home folder without warning?
Or how about a shell of the company that pulled a golden master of iOS 4.2 for totally disabling the Wi-Fi capabilities of the iPhone 4?
Or how about a shell of the company that released a version of iOS 8 that disabled cellular data and Touch ID?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.