Apple pulls my iPad right from my grip....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by amicron1, Jun 9, 2011.

1. amicron1 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Yesterday was supposed to be the day that I received my order for two Apple iPads, one white one and one black one. I have been awaiting the delivery for about 3 weeks now. Was notified that they were on they're way and the tracking numbers were given to me.

I have watched the progress on Fedex as they made they're way from China to Hong Kong to Memphis then Denver. "out For delivery" said the tracking info.

Then to my dismay: "Refused by Recipient". As I had someone waiting to sign for them at the house. I called Fedex. They tell me apple has requested the package be sent to the Apple warehouse. I am so mad now I am seeing red. I have waited what seems an eternity for these things. Now they are on the fedex truck in my small town, just within my reach and they are headed back to china? WHat the heck?!

I compose my self. I call my Apple rep who I placed the order with. She is so puzzled at this ordeal. Tells me she will call me back when she gets to the bottom of it (Thank you for trying to help me, by the way).

I call fedex local drop off and explain what is happening. The guy there says he will help me and try and get me some info. He calls me back and states that he has contacted the driver and asked that they deliver what they can of the packages and he agrees.

So I get one ipad, while the other sits in a fedex truck 16 feet from me. No apple care service that was originally ordered, plus I get this kryptic response from Apple about the situation.

Someone has really messed up something and Apple sure isn't letting the cat out of the bag.

Called apple last night two times to try and find out what is happening as my bank account states that i have paid for two ipads and two Apple care Packages.

This seems to me like one of those situations that Apple needs to reimburse me some of the cost of the missing iPad due to the intense frustration of the situation they have caused.

Everything just seems so hush hush. Apple rep even said she cannot explain the circumstances of what is happening, except that she knows this is not the first such scenario like this that happened on June 8th, 2011.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Disappointed in Wyoming.

2. Sdevante macrumors 6502

They accidentally sent one loaded with State secrets?

3. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

4. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

call

Call and explain, then say its really frustrating that i had to wait 2 weeks for these anyway. Go on and say frankly i don't have time to deal with this and had altered my schedule in order to get these packages. Chances are they'll either compensate you with a gift card or they'll overnight you a new one. Don't listen to people who say you don't deserve compensation they're bitter.

5. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Why is it that people all expect freebies from Apple when something goes wrong? It could be the banks problem, or FedEx's problem, who knows. Of course I blame Apple for handing them out so freely. Getting your iPad is not a life and death situation. Sure it sucks, but toughen up and deal with it.

My wife recently got a new Nook. She ordered a case online from Barnes and Noble on Sunday and paid for 1-3 day shipping. It's not due to arrive now, till Thursday. I would not THINK of calling Barnes and Noble to bitch and ask for a free ______ to make up for the extra time we've had to wait.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

Apple is selling MILLIONS (plural) of iPad 2s a month.

If your expectation is that 100% of every one shipped is delivered without incident, and that you're going to be able to call and get an immediate answer when something bizarre happens (like your delivery), then I think it's your expectations that are out of line with reality.

Crap happens. We're sorry it happened to you. Hopefully this all gets sorted out quickly. But honestly, "Apple sure isn't letting the cat out of the bag", as if there is some bigger conspiracy in regards to your particular delivery...

And FWIW, the last Mac I ordered with AppleCare shipped with nothing extra. It was automatically enrolled with AppleCare when it shipped, and I was mailed separate AppleCare coverage documents a week or so later.

7. taipan61, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

taipan61 macrumors 6502

"This seems to me like one of those situations that Apple needs to reimburse me some of the cost of the missing iPad due to the intense frustration of the situation they have caused."

he states that through tracking them he found that they were both in transit together, both on the fed-ex truck "16 feet away", and both to be delivered together but due to some freak of the cosmos he could only get one of the two ordered and no apple care which was paid for.
    apple couldn't help him due to some malady in their computer systems nor could fed-ex.
    if i pay for two or multiples of an item (and they take my payment) and only receive one of them I would want to be reimbursed for items not delivered, wouldn't you?
    pay for 2, get 1, get reimbursed for 1
    he doesn't sound like he wants something for free, he just wants what was paid for or given the money back.

and why would fed-ex put down "refused by recipient" if someone was there...usually they put down number of delivery attempts (that is fishy)
    (had one of the big box drivers caught here in Northern Cal doing that and just stealing the stuff)

somehow we're not getting the whole story here

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sense of entitlement much?

9. Carouser macrumors 65816

This seems to me like one of those situations where you need to calm down like a decent person and find out what is going on before you start making demands. Maybe next time they should just say 'delivery delayed' so you don't go off the handle.

As for the bolded part, I am tempted to call BS without more info. The rep said "I can't tell you what's happening but we've had similar scenarios"? Why would anybody say something like that?

10. amicron1 thread starter macrumors newbie

response

Thanks taipan61. Good to see that someone understands.

I am sorry of some of you think that way about me. I wish you had a the same perspective as I do.

When I go out to eat and the service sucks or the food sucks. I tell the server then I tell the manager. I am not trying to be a jerk. I just expect to be treated like the rest of the people in the place and get what I pay for.

So.... When I pay close to $2000 for two 3G, 64GB Ipads, I wait three weeks for them, then watch them travel around the world via the fedex tracking and then know that on Wednesday they will be there and have a person at my house to make sure they are signed for..... This kind of upsets me. Now I have no communication from Apple about this. And you guys are busting my chops about it also.

Sure. Entitlement. That must be the problem. (Sarcasm)

The only reason I posted here was because I feel like I am floating on the ocean of silence created by Apple.

I do not think there is a conspiracy.

I just want what I paid for. My Ipad.

and yes, the manager usually comps my meal when the service sucks. And no, I don't complain often, only when it really sucks.

In this case: Apple is dropping the food in my lap.

Thanks for the support.

11. Carouser macrumors 65816

So Apple said you aren't getting either an iPad or your money back? When you call and say "Am I getting the products I paid for or my money back?" what do they tell you?

12. amicron1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx

Thank you. I will explain this as soon as I get an Apple Customer Service rep to actually listen to me. The two I have talked with say someone will call within 24 hrs and then they seem very short with me after that. I have been very nice and courteous each time I have talked with them.

I guess I am very surprised that Apple reps are this way. I never would have expected them to act this way. I have never had a problem from Apple except the battery on my old Macbook Pro.

Once again, Thank you for the suggestion. I will keep you updated.

13. wpotere Guest

Sorry, but I am with the others... Drama much? It is just an iPad and not the end of the world. People and systems make mistakes and it was, for the most part, correct with a simple (and I do mean simple) phone call. The only thing you are entitled to is what you paid for when it gets to you. If you don't like the delivery method I suggest you buy them from a store next time. :rolleyes:

14. Carouser macrumors 65816

So you were supposed to get the iPads yesterday. Last night you called and the rep said "we will get back to you in 24 hours". You called again and a rep said "we will get back to you in 24 hours". Maybe you should give them 24 hours? :eek:

15. amicron1 thread starter macrumors newbie

They just tell me someone will call within 24hrs. I know I came off sounding like a diva, but I am just really frustrated that it was right there. In the fedex guys hand/truck on my door step. Middle of Wyoming, not a store within 600 miles that has/had one in stock. That is why I had to order them via Apple.

The only reason I posted here was to see if I was the only person that this was happening to. The rep yesterday said something that made me wonder if there was a problem with more orders than mine.

16. 3goldens, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

1. Ask for a supervisor.

2. Call your credit card company and tell them to charge it back

3. There is no box with AppleCare, you have it on the unit you receive and will see that when you register the unit.

4. Chill out man, stop being a dram queen, the headline of your post is totally misleading, change iit, it was not an Apple screw up it was a fed x screw up, obviously, you'll get your other unit at some point.

BTW the warehouse does not mean its going back to china!

17. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

So you ordered two iPads, Apple shipped two iPads, and FedEx had an issue and as a result you have only received one (so far).

This is FedEx's mix-up, not Apple's. I wouldn't harass the Apple Rep too much. Remember Apple charges your card when they ship. They have no control over FedEx's mishaps. Just be patient and give it a couple more days, you will get what you ordered.

Patience is a virtue.

P.S. Also don't expect to get an AppleCare "box". The AppleCare should be pre-applied to the devices and in Apple's system. No box is necessary.

18. Carouser macrumors 65816

What happened when to the person waiting at the house? Did anyone show up and leave, or did the tracking info just change to 'Refused by recipient'?

Did you actually see this package? Are you sure it was yours?

19. amicron1 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is what I thought yesterday also but the Apple rep confirmed that the device was recalled or "Requested to return to warehouse" by Apple.

I am being patient. For three weeks and counting, but the thread just keeps getting pulled tighter.

I called them yesterday, and am now waiting. Like I said, I just wanted to post on here to see if this has ever happened to anyone. The whole, "I can give you this one, but I have to hold on to the other one", thing.

That is really cool that they pre-register the apple care. Good to know!

Thanks for helping.

20. Carouser macrumors 65816

And when you asked if you were getting an iPad or your money back, what did they tell you? If you answered that and the other questions I posed in the thread it would help people understand your circumstances.

21. amicron1 thread starter macrumors newbie

The friend was at the house all day. She didn't leave. I arrived after working at 5pm. The fedex guy shows up. (Remember the Fedex hub had called and requested that the drive stop by my house because the tracking stated that it was "Refused by recipient")

I ask the guy about my other package.....He tells me "Shipper" has requested that the package be returned to warehouse. I asked if it was on the truck in my drive way? "Yes, but I can not give it to you."

That was where I about melted down internally, but kept my cool externally.

22. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I don't think Apple would bother trying to keep this "hush hush". Why would they want your iPad? I'm sure they would much rather that YOU have it.

I do understand that it is frustrating to wait though. From the time I convinced my wife to let me buy an iPad 2 to the time it came in (4 weeks later) seemed like an absolute eternity, especially because I am someone who has a real world need for this type of device. I have always felt a tablet fit my lifestyle a lot better than a laptop.

Anyway, good luck. It doesn't sound like anyone is trying to scam you, just that there has been a mix up. And if it really ends up being Apple's fault they'll probably throw you a free smart cover or something.

23. amicron1 thread starter macrumors newbie

1.I am being patient and will ask for a supervisor at 5pm tonight it someone has not called.

2. Not doing a charge back yet, going to wait and see what is going on.

3. Thanks, I did not know that at the time I was writing this thread.

4. Kind of tired of that "drama crap" from everybody. Just want what I paid for, same as you. Not Changing the title of the thread. It is clear that Apple had a mix up internally. It was verbally confirmed by the Rep.

Just using this form of communication to keep others informed and trying to determine if my situation is unique or if it is one of many.

Thanks for the response, lets just all wait and see what happens

24. VitaminH macrumors newbie

Same

Hi,

The same thing happened to me. I saw last night it was listed as "refused by recipient" on FedEx's site and immediately called FedEx as I was home all day and never saw a truck. They told me it had been stopped by Apple and to contact them. I called Apple this morning and while the CSR said she wasn't sure what was going on she also said there was a number of others with the same issue. She credited me for the cost of the Smart Cover I had ordered with it and assured me it would be resolved soon. She also mentioned that she'd seen some others with the problem getting new iPads shipped already with expedited shipping.

I (and another poster with the same issue) ordered a 16gb Verizon model on 5/24. Perhaps there was a bad batch that they didn't catch until after shipping?

25. amicron1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Man! Here's hoping. We bought two because we know the kids will want to play on one. I bought the otter box cases and straps so we can use in the car on trips.

I just thought it was so strange that they were holding it or requesting it back. I checked the bank to see if the funds were denied and all was fine on that end.

This is just a very unusual situation.