Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Background audio is for music subscribers I get it, so split it out and make the various other stuff I watch on YT available to be played in the background.

Glassed Silver:ios

Why? You have ASMR which is a huge part of YouTube and a lot of "talk-only" shows on YouTube. Why would you limit background audio playback to "music subscribers" only? Why limit basic functionality behind a paywall only four countries in the world are able to purchase to begin with?

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
I use YouTube's own app. I hope this heightened interest from their end means YouTube Red is finally going to be available in my country. And maybe Google Play Music family accounts, too.

Been a long time coming.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
YouTube is within their right to strong-arm the developer in this way. They have a vested interest in killing any 3rd party application that allows users to avoid paying $10 a month for YouTube Red.

I agree.

I knew it was inevitable that the app was gonna come to an end. But Google needs to implement PiP, it makes no sense it is not built into YouTube. They have SplitView, but I’d rather have PiP.

I’m a YouTube Red subscriber and the fact that a 3rd party offer that feature... yet I pay monthly, it’s foolish.

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
No picture-in-picture on my huge 12-inch iPad Pro.... This is a major punch in the face for me. This seriously reduces my YouTube experience on all my iOS-devices.

Use Hooktube.
  1. Copy any YouTube URL
  2. Replace "youtube" with "hooktube" in the URL.
  3. Watch ad-free, with picture-in-picture support on iPad, without YouTube tracking.
This is my way of boycotting Google for their crap.
[doublepost=1504534426][/doublepost]
Google needs to implement PiP

Hooktube.

Reactions: BulkSlash

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Yeah, I get that. They are the largest advertising agency in the world. However, they also arbitrarily restrict features unless folks fork over $10 a month. Ridiculous.

Cable companies charge more for things like faster internet and more channels. Car companies charge more for extra features too.

Reactions: NetMage

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Use Hooktube.

But the point is... I shouldn’t have to use any 3rd party solution.

I PAY Google monthly for a service that should have PiP built into it. Google provides ad-free and background audio along with other features, but it’s a shame that 3rd party apps provide PiP and Google doesn’t.

If Google is coming after 3rd party apps... which they are within their rights, then provide a better experience for their paying subscribers.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Car companies charge more for extra features too.

For a one off fee. Can you imagine if they charged a subscription?

$20/month for sunroof use
$30/month to allow you to change the radio station
$5/day for air-con

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Yeah, I get that. They are the largest advertising agency in the world. However, they also arbitrarily restrict features unless folks fork over $10 a month. Ridiculous.

Not sure why it’s ridiculous.

I pay for these features because I feel they are worth it... you also get Google Play Music library as well.

I have a YouTube Red Family plan for $15, which I share with 3 people.

Reactions: NetMage

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Frankly I'm surprised it lasted this long. The bin of yanked apps contains an abundance of YouTube players.

Hopefully it'll remain available in the Purchased tab.
Any way to keep this on my devices? How can I ensure it won’t go away for me?
Once you bought, you own it. It will be in your purchased apps and in your apps list on your computer if you sync your iDevice to one. They can't steal what you own, only stop new purchases.

Last edited:

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Not sure why it’s ridiculous.

I pay for these features because I feel they are worth it... you also get Google Play Music library as well.

I have a YouTube Red Family plan for $15, which I share with 3 people.

It's ridiculous that features that should be free are behind a paywall, and some don't exist at all. The whole thing is a mess.

PiP should be free, background audio should be free (ad supported). Premium should include exclusive content, ad free videos, ad free background audio and it should also be half the price it is now.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Boycott Youtube Red, for pulling sh** like this. Or as someone else said, get people to delete their YT app for a week. Make them sweat a bit.

Ah. I don't feel that strongly about this. Also, I don't tend to partake in short-term boycotts; instead I just drop completely what doesn't work for me. And while I would like to have access to YouTube Red and GPM family accounts, for now those wants aren't big enough concerns to move to Apple Music (which also would not solve YouTube's missing features).

I'm not saying you shouldn't make YouTube sweat, though.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
As someone that pays for YouTube Red, the app is ******

Can't offline videos higher than 720p and no 1440p60 or 2160p60 are my major complaints with the app, wish I had known about ProTube sooner

Last edited:

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Ugh, this isn't great. I really feel for the developer. It was a really polished and well made app, and it's a shame to see it go.

The only reason I had it myself is because of YouTube's lack of picture in picture. There are a couple of animal live streams that I like to watch and picture in picture is perfect for that. I'd be happy to pay YouTube for the ability to do that if they would only let me. So very annoying.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Boycott Youtube Red, for pulling sh** like this. Or as someone else said, get people to delete their YT app for a week. Make them sweat a bit.

How do you boycott something you have never used and have no intention of using?

Is there no web browser that allows background audio?

Reactions: macfacts

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
Didn't Google's motto used to be "don't be evil"?

I don't see the value in their "Red" service, I think it's overpriced, and the app (like the standard Vanilla YouTube app on iOS) is a bit rubbish. ProTube was everything the "Paid" version of YouTube should have been, but wasn't.

Google have not come across well in this argument. .

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Apple should have pulled the actual YouTube app long ago for playing unauthorized copyrighted content.

CPTmom2wp

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
Google has also been manipulating their algorithms to significantly reduce ad revenue from apps/podcast streams with content they disagree with and without prior notification or content guidelines . Rather they seem to be steering revenue to only the apps and content that agrees with/financially benefits Google. As previously noted, they do have the right to do this, but absent transparent guidelines, their sole determination about what can be seen and heard on apps/internet is at best arrogant and fascistic at worst. This is more than a little concerning to those of us who believe in free speech and freedom of the marketplace. If they want to build a better app, people will use it and pay for it. If they don't like the content of a podcast or video, then create different content with better arguments. Isn't that what freedom of the internet is supposed to be about?.....not shutting out apps and content you don't like?
[doublepost=1504539157][/doublepost]
Cable companies charge more for things like faster internet and more channels. Car companies charge more for extra features too.

Yes, but I can, and do, refuse extra features on a car and only pay 1x for those I decide to purchase. I can, and have, stopped cable tv. Unfortunately, the internet is pretty much mandatory for most people. But while I have to pay a monthly fee for access to the internet, I am avoiding the use of Google as much as possible (including Nest thermostats, Google Home etc.). I can and will, completely forgo the use of YouTube, including the app.

Flyers12

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
I guess since its already installed on my iPad the best thing to do would be to back up the app on to my computer? It’s now gone from the purchased tab as well which is sad, but expected.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Man. I would trade 100 MacRumors "flappy bird game" articles for one that mentioned how great this app was when it was available.

Kevin102k

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2016
I just want the ability to play HD over a mobile connection in the app especially with unlimited data

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.