Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Digitimes claims that Apple has canceled its iPad 3 supply schedule for the second half of 2011, which means the iPad 3 won't be launching until 2012:
Apple was originally set to launch its iPad 3 in the second half of 2011 with a supply volume of 1.5-2 million units in the third quarter and 5-6 million in the fourth quarter, but Apple's supply chain partners have recently discovered that the related figures have all already been deleted, the sources pointed out.

Sources seem to believe that poor yields of the new 9.7" Retina display are the reason for the delay.
Sources from panel players also pointed out that the 9.7-inch panel with high resolution requires a much larger backlight source and a single edge light bar is hardly able to reach satisfaction levels. Due to iPad 3's requirements over the physical thinness, rich color support and toughness will all conflict with the panel's technology restrictions; therefore, this could cause a delay in the launch.

Article Link: Apple 'Cancels' iPad 3 Orders for 2nd Half of 2011

r2fa3l

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2010
Texas
2011 the year of the iPad 2.... I thought that was very clear tbh.
Anyway, I would have liked a retina display

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
1. Make Crazy Rumor About iPad 3 in 2011
2. Realize how foolish Crazy Rumor is
3. Claim Apple canceled something they were never planning on doing anyway

Got it. Thanks for the lesson. Does anyone really believe another iPad was coming out in the next 3 weeks?

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
I'm still shocked the possibility existed that there would be an iPad 3 in the fall. Then again I was caught off guard by the fall iPhone release too....

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008

Got it. Thanks for the lesson.

this sounds about right.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This rumor was always ********. The iPad 2 is destroying the competition. Why release an update the same year?

apttap

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
1) Place order for millions of electronic devices.
2) Decide devices aren't ready for production due to technology restraints.
3) Cancel order.

Sounds like the way the most valuable company would function.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Or, you know, it was never going to be released in 2011 (as I would like to think most normal people believed).

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

Got it. Thanks for the lesson. Does anyone really believe another iPad was coming out in the next 3 weeks?

This.

Apple always releases one iDevice of a type per year.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Always sounded like B.S.

Plus, a higher resolution display wouldn't require a larger backlight. Look at what happened between the iPhone 3GS and the Retina display-equipped iPhone 4. Same with the third and fourth generation iPod touches. Did the fourth generation devices require larger backlights? No.

These "iPad 3 in 2011" rumors were garbage to begin with and now those lies are crumbling under the scrutiny of real-world physics and economics of consumer electronics supply chain availability.

These rumors were concocted to generate page views, nothing more.

Digitimes has a notoriously poor track record, right up there with Wu, Munster, and Huberty. If any of them say something is going to happen, there's a strong chance it won't.

Additionally, the MacRumors headline is unabashedly dishonest as we know nothing about Apple's intentions. This wasn't announced at Apple.com.

Basically everyone who has published anything about iPad 3 rumors are a bunch of ad-grubbing charlatans.

Last edited:

finkmacunix

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
I just can't figure out how something that was never planned is delayed.

In other breaking news, water is wet. And cookies are tasty.

2011 is (still) the year of iPad 2.

So if John Gruber says something, everyone believes him?

Besides, he was asking the question "What would happen if Apple Released an iPad 3 in Spetember?"

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5288d Safari/7534.48.3)

It would have been crazy to release another iPad this year. It's doing much better than the competition. Maybe it was going to be an iPad 2 HD, with the iPad 3 being released next year.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020

Besides, he was asking the question "What would happen if Apple Released an iPad 3 in Spetember?"
He has a decent track record. His sources are hit or miss. Sometimes he says things outright. Other times he couches his rumor "predictions" in speculation.

Analysts and others with shadowy "sources" do what they always do. Take a rumor and run with it. Looks like this time (again) they got burned.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
Not disappointed

I am not disappointed anymore. I eventually lost interest in the iPad because of its lack of required capabilities. Apple seems to have crippled this product so that it can't replace a laptop. Then I saw an ad for an alternative that met the requirements, cost less, and had a more accessible operating system. I was almost about to buy an iPad 2, but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. The answer is not to go out and buy a new Apple laptop to make up for the lost functionality. The answer is to look for a product that does work, and that was the end of my interest in the premium priced iPad. It sure looked cool, but it's simply not good enough. Maybe the iPad 3 will change that, but that could be another year away.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else

Nah, only fools worship Gruber. His track record isn't all that great. Besides, 98% of all Apple rumors end up being wrong. He might be slightly better than average, but that average is very, Very, VERY low.

There are two sources with better track records (but nothing to write home about): AllThingsD/WSJ and Cnet. You can pretty much toss all other rumors into the circular file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.