Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leddy

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
The damage is done. Apple is dead in professional video editing. Most professionals have decided to abandon Apple in favor of either Adobe Premiere or Avid Media Composer. Editors MUST be able to trust their editing system, and they will not take risks in this area. The professional community has seen that Apple is willing to abandon them at a moment's notice. This is intolerable for a professional, and therefore, very few will ever buy an Apple system again.
There is almost nothing worse that Apple could have done.
Final Cut is done. It's gone. Forever.

Agreed. My local Pro AV supplier refuses to install FC X on their machines and they are an Apple reseller.

I can't look at this as a mistake by Apple - to me it was a deliberate act in pursuit of a different demographic.

vsoe

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2011
FCP 7 upgrade without buying new FC Studio package

See below:

If I'm not mistaken the question is, where can we get our upgrade if we already have FCP 6? Without having to buy the whole FC Studio package? Hopefully for under $100?

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
I work in video production full time - and I've been a professional editor for about 15 years now.
It's too late. The damage is done. Apple is dead in professional video editing. Most professionals have decided to abandon Apple in favor of either Adobe Premiere or Avid Media Composer. Editors MUST be able to trust their editing system, and they will not take risks in this area. The professional community has seen that Apple is willing to abandon them at a moment's notice. This is intolerable for a professional, and therefore, very few will ever buy an Apple system again.
There is almost nothing worse that Apple could have done.
Final Cut is done. It's gone. Forever.
Well said,
FCS is still the same outdated package what it was 4 years ago.
It will not get better by just stopping to sell it and selling it again.
And we haven't got the upgrade resurrected.
I work mostly with FCS's that others own. Couple times a year, I need my own. When I earn money from my own licenses infrequently, I upgrade only when needed. I still have also CS5 and no hurry to 5.5. I would have needed FCS3upgrade last month, but -DOH!- no avail...

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Interesting how this is Apple's biggest problem these days.

A video editing app. When rivals can barely get an entire computing platform off the ground, and have their entire business destroyed/and or substantially downgraded because of it.

We're truly spoiled.

Who are "we"? You mix up things every time. Apple may not care about FCP but some users definitely do and this is a huge problem for them. This site is for Mac users, not Mac shareholders and all your posts carry AAPL shareholder viewpoint.

mutantteenager

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006
Well said,
FCS is still the same outdated package what it was 4 years ago.
It will not get better by just stopping to sell it and selling it again.

I can see my current employer (massive broadcaster) moving over to Premier as the professional bottom fell out of FCP for one of their key projects. By the time Apple finally get FCP X to operate in the existing professional workspace most of the industry who originally used FCP will be too heavy invested in other platforms.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
I can see my current employer (massive broadcaster) moving over to Premier as the professional bottom fell out of FCP for one of their key projects. By the time Apple finally get FCP X to operate in the existing professional workspace most of the industry who originally used FCP will be too heavy invested in other platforms.
Professional bottom?
Color management?

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
Good. It's nice to see Apple caving... could this be Tim's first real decision? Good show.

Probably is. Unlike Steve Jobs, Tim Cook doesn't have a pathological need to play god to consumers. He seems like a normal CEO. Maybe under his stewardship I might actually grow to like Apple.

Leddy

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
But why? Do they have to pay for like the regular consumer, or do they have an alternative free download for promotion only option?

I think the reason they refuse to install it is embarrassment to be honest. They don't want to align themselves with something that has alienated a lot of their customer base.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
I think the reason they refuse to install it is embarrassment to be honest. They don't want to align themselves with something that has alienated a lot of their customer base.

You should ask them rather than assume. I would think having it available for people to play with would be a positive thing because then a customer could play with it over time without purchasing it them selfs. Perhaps they haven't loaded it because they get nothing out of the sale. After all, FCPX is only available via the Mac App store.

freshbread

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2008
Not true

Just spent an hour with five apple reps not including the automatic operator. No one has this part number or any knowledge of final cut studio 3. No sale. I want the upgrade.

kwahamot

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
Seems like calling the 1800myapple number doesn't give the desired results. I wonder if it's no longer available. Sales folks can't find the previous final cut studio in their database as currently for sale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.