Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
wow this is great news, I like that they are actually listening. I hope they can also do those lion edits to make everyone happy as well (come on couldn't they have just put the changes in the settings instead of try to force us how to use the computer).

bluekermit

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2009
Toronto
it's meant for the iPad - the future of editing

This Final Cut X is for the future of editing not for the editors that are already using FCP studio 3. FCP X is made for people to use with the iPad, regular people who shoot something with a consumer camera or iPhone and need to edit while sitting on a couch while eating cheetos... not us power users who pay our rent and mortgages from editing.

Since editing software is a very very small part of apple profits we as a group can be tossed aside for the grand scheme. The average future touch screen device editor will never need TeleCine or most of the other goodies. H.264 video comes off their little device by memory stick and can be edited quickly, uploaded to YouTube for viewing by grandma and America's Funniest Home Videos... ha ha ha! way to go Final Cut X ! another funny pet video, har har.

Screw it, screw them, I'm done with FCP once and for all. AVID is much better, and it's their bread and butter. Editing for apple is marmalade. AVID is bending over backwards now for customers and the product is much better than FCP.

chip4fcp

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2011
Wrong title for this thread

You guys do realize that Apple has NOT caved.
As much as we'd like to think they're doing the "Classic Coke" shuffle,
the reality is that they just decided to offer the EXISTING copies of FCS 3 for sale rather than trash them.

Non-IOS apps are no longer important to Apple.

- chip
- highlevelproductions.com

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
This Final Cut X is for the future of editing not for the editors that are already using FCP studio 3. FCP X is made for people to use with the iPad, regular people who shoot something with a consumer camera or iPhone and need to edit while sitting on a couch while eating cheetos... not us power users who pay our rent and mortgages from editing.

I'm truly curious. Are you talking from in depth experience with FCPX, or are you just talking out of your ass?

NLE

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2011
Either a rumor or Apple employee is misinformed

I just called the 800 # and "Jennifer" told me that this is a rumor and FCS is not for sale at the MY Apple #. I haven't found any official announcement from Apple about this.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
I hate to rain on your parade, but the new paradigm to video editing that was introduced with iMovie 08 is pure genius in my book. I just LOVE this new approach. The guys at Apple took something that was unnecessarily complex and made it simple and intuitive and FUN to use while at the same time providing FAST results. Awesome! That is exactly why people buy Apple products.

I haven't seen Final Cut X myself, and I don't make my living editing videos. But from everything I've read, it were certain missing features that caused the user base to cry out loud, but NOT the paradigm change.

You would be incorrect. It is both. Many professionals such as myself would love to break it in while still using 7, but the paradigm change of the magnetic timeline mostly as well as it's inabilities with audio editing make it so unusable that there isn't much point. It's obvious that some of the paradigm changes had to be made to make things like the magnetic timeline function. Backwards design for sure.

clank72

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
RANT WARNING!!!!

Final Cut Pro is so old and outdated. Final Cut Studio was the biggest waist of money for me. It sits on the shelf collecting dust. And Motion and Soundtrack? Don't get me started. They are anything BUT Logic. And I don't know anyone that uses those apps. Apple didn't even originally design FCP anyway...

I don't blame them at ALL for revamping FCP into this new version. FCP users should of left after Apple bought it. Same with Logic. Which probably will be canned soon too.

Stick with the Adobe family. Premiere Pro and After Effects. This will blow everything away.

Get some REAL audio software here

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/nuendo.html

To recap. Here's all you need.

Adobe Master Suite
Steinberg Nuendo
Monster Computer

***Done***

Now go back to work.

Thomas2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
No.

Final Cut Pro 7 is still stuck in the legacy APIs that can't do any of that. The only way out is a full re-write, which is what FCPX is.
Not true. A re-write of an application to make use of every processor/core and all available RAM does not prevent previous projects from being able to be opened in the re-written application. All the loyal customers that were there when Apple was near the end. All the people moving to Final Cut Pro/Studio and convincing others they should use it. All the people that were waiting for a 64-bit, top-to-bottom version that would take full advantage of the Apple hardware they spent thousands, if not tens of thousands, of dollars/pounds/euros to get. All those people, instead of getting Final Cut Pro 8, got a giant "F-you" from Apple.

What are the selling points? You can't import previous projects, many features missing, but will be coming "soon" in updates, it is available in the Mac App Store. Apple has thought of everything.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Not true. A re-write of an application to make use of every processor/core and all available RAM does not prevent previous projects from being able to be opened in the re-written application.

I suppose it could some how be opened. But trying to take an old FCP7 project in FCP X could have totally unexpected results. Considering its so vastly different, It might just get scrambled in the process trying to translate the project using new features that never existed in the prior version.

Lion's reviews were also bad (though not quite as bad)

I don't really believe that. In the most part it has been well received.

Last edited:

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I suppose it could some how be opened. But trying to take an old FCP7 project in FCP X could have totally unexpected results. Considering its so vastly different, It might just get scrambled in the process trying to translate the project using new features that never existed in the prior version.
Things like filters probably wouldn't xfer (so they could just be ignored by the program) but at its core all that needs to come across is the clip name, clip timecode in/out and Sequence timecode in/out. It's a very simple text document. EDLs (Edit Decision Lists) are like 30 years old.

Lethal

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
I agree 100%, but I am curious to read the "fanboy" take on this news.

I'm curious about your use of the word "fanboy"

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I really dislike iMovie, since leaving the video field I've been forced to use iMovie; how restrictive and unintuitive-how about a rerelease of fcpExpress? And, although I am not a software thief, I wish I had burned a copy of the one I sold with my MBP!

If you bought it then you're not a thief.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
How hard is it to keep the same interface as 7 and include all the new features of X or at least background rendering? Come on Apple listen to the PROFESSIONALS and not the PROSUMERS!

It's hard to hear the voices of the professionals when there are 10x as many Prosumers yelling too.

----------

Apple is becoming a consumer gadget company.

Becoming?

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan

Since editing software is a very very small part of apple profits we as a group can be tossed aside for the grand scheme. The average future touch screen device editor will never need TeleCine or most of the other goodies. H.264 video comes off their little device by memory stick and can be edited quickly, uploaded to YouTube for viewing by grandma and America's Funniest Home Videos... ha ha ha! way to go Final Cut X ! another funny pet video, har har.

Screw it, screw them, I'm done with FCP once and for all. AVID is much better, and it's their bread and butter. Editing for apple is marmalade. AVID is bending over backwards now for customers and the product is much better than FCP.

Why did you write three paragraphs instead of just getting to your point. "AVID is much better." If this is true you don't need go on about other products just use AVID and have a nice weekend. It sounds like FCP used to be your old girlfriend and you still have unresolved issues.

richlen

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2002
Apple's given up

People just don't get it. If Apple truly wanted to remain forever in the Pro Broadcast and Cinema markets it would have released a full featured FCPX...or at least a product that met the needs of those markets. Certain common sense features were purposely left out. After 2 months FCPX has seen no updates--not a single addition to stem the complaints. The only thing they've done now is re-release a product they killed which is very unlikely they will update. Let's face it the high end pro market is very niche and Apple no longer does "niche". Ask all those people who bought servers, who now have to buy Mac mini's or my being hounded by Apple sales people to buy Final Cut Server--now what? Only option is Avid--period. Customer lost after spending many thousands of dollars. Apple wants the mass market. There are a lot more event videographers, small independent production companies with one editor where sharing isn't necessary, schools and consumers who want the feel of a pro editor without real pro features. You can't edit a 60 second commercial in a pro ad environment never mind a movie on this thing. BUT, editing is fun on it, easy and intuitive once you get the hang of it. Those people won't miss the Pro features. Face it, it's just too expensive to have a large team of specialty developers making over $100,000 working on a product they don't sell a mass number of. I'd expect an iPad 3 version of FCPX before you see broadcast features put back in--an iPad 3 version would be a take off product where people can shoot and edit in the same device for people getting rogue/blog/journalist videos on the net almost instantly. The only thing Apple really needs to do is drop the price of FCPX to $100 and seed the field to Avid and Adobe. They'd sell a lot more of those than Premier and MC combined. Adobe Premier is a far better product--it would take many many years for FCPX to catch up, as Adobe is constantly upgrading and adding features.

blkraemer

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2009
No upgrade for sale

Anyone who wants to purchase an upgrade to get from Final Cut Studio 2 to FCS 3 is still SOL. Telesales will only sell the $999 full license version and will not offer the previous upgrade path at the $300 price point.

Booo!

If your going to reverse policy, reverse it... don't half support your legacy user base.

jpine

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
The uselessness of FCPX had little to do with a tapeless workflow. It had more to do with it being designed for the one man show (a guy who shoots, edits, mixes audio, composits and does graphics all by himself). When you have teams of people working on projects, FCPX is useless. So you can be a ONE MAN SHOW professional but the typical Professional Production HOUSE can't use it. The flaw of FCPX has made the Professional Production HOUSE look seriously away from FCP regardless.

Except there are features missing that a one man show find useful, such as milticam.

pionata

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
Well that's an interesting thread.
I was thinking about getting some experience in professional video editing, seem I'll be using Premiere after all.

Some funny comments in there...:D

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
FinalCutPro 6 and prior versions were coded for PowerPC (Rosetta) and did not have Intel code....Lion dropped support for Rosetta and PowerPC apps altogether. The latest version of FinalCutStudio 3 is UNIVERSAL meaning it has both Intel and PowerPC code, so it will run fine on Lion.
Badly wrong here, even FCS1 was released as universal version in 2006.
Final Cut Studio was the biggest waist of money for me. It sits on the shelf collecting dust.
Maybe you could sell your FCS3/FCS3upgrade to me cheaply, if otherwise you get zero from it?
FSC3upgrade is about $500 on eBay now, thanks Apple for that!

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
Anyone who wants to purchase an upgrade to get from Final Cut Studio 2 to FCS 3 is still SOL. Telesales will only sell the $999 full license version and will not offer the previous upgrade path at the $300 price point.
You had two years to upgrade.

Atomike

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008
I work in video production full time - and I've been a professional editor for about 15 years now.
It's too late. The damage is done. Apple is dead in professional video editing. Most professionals have decided to abandon Apple in favor of either Adobe Premiere or Avid Media Composer. Editors MUST be able to trust their editing system, and they will not take risks in this area. The professional community has seen that Apple is willing to abandon them at a moment's notice. This is intolerable for a professional, and therefore, very few will ever buy an Apple system again.
There is almost nothing worse that Apple could have done.
Final Cut is done. It's gone. Forever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.